PG Music Home
Posted By: jan larkin Entering notation in band in a box. - 02/04/11 12:36 AM
Hello,

I am trying to create a new part on either the soloist or melody tracks entering notes in the notation windows and then picking a midi instrument to play them. I have opened the notation window in editable mode and I see that the bar is divided into sixteenth notes. Is it fairly straight forward to enter notes this way in band in a box or is there a simpler way by doing the notation in a different program and then importing into band in a box?

Thank you kind people for any help

Regards
Jan
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Entering notation in band in a box. - 02/04/11 01:22 AM
You can import the melody from another program as long as you save it as a Standard MIDI file (you can also go the other way).

However, I think the note entry in BIAB is THE best method out there. Actually, BIAB presents several methods. If you use the mouse, each note will appear to be too long until you enter the next one. You can also easily enter rests. It may not seem intuitive at first, but you'll pick it up very quickly.

The measure isn't necessarily divided into sixteenth notes; you can set it for triplets. Use the little Opt button left of the Print button, and select Triplet Resolution at the far left. You can even use the right-click in the red timeline area (above the staff) to change resolution in one bar.

You can also record a melody with one key, and then adjust the pitches later. Or, if you are a lot better with a keyboard than I am, play and record it directly, knowing mouse edits are easy later. I often slow down the tempo to enter a melody with the keyboard, then bring it back to speed. You can drag a note with the mouse for either timing or pitch, or right-click on a note for finer adjustments.

Give it a try, look at the tutorials, and come back here with any questions.
Posted By: jan larkin Re: Entering notation in band in a box. - 02/04/11 11:07 AM
Thanks you very much Matt for that in depth explanation.

Jan
Posted By: jan larkin Re: Entering notation in band in a box. - 02/07/11 12:44 AM
Hi again,

I'm getting on not too bad at entering notes, but one thing is puzzling me, how do I enter a triplet in a straight 4/4 song? I have gone into options and ticked the triplets box, The notes enter fine as a triplet but once I revert to 4/4 time I loose the triplet for those particular 3 notes that I want played as a triplet ie crochet 1 beat length.

regards
jan
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Entering notation in band in a box. - 02/07/11 12:48 AM
Two ways. In Editable Notation mode:

As you know, you can switch between triplet and straight by clicking on the Opt. button (far left) and then check / uncheck Triplet Resolution/Swing.

Or, to do it one at a time, just right-click on the timeline above the measure you are editing, and you can set the Beat Resolution.

You may not be able to get a printout that looks right. There is a FAQ on this, though; I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: It's FAQ #25. Read this: http://www.pgmusic.com/techfaq23.htm#25
Posted By: jan larkin Re: Entering notation in band in a box. - 02/07/11 01:05 AM
Ah I got it, Thank you very much again Matt for all your kind help in this. Now its just a case of entering the right notes as I'm a complete novice at reading or writing music.

jan
Posted By: IanTai Re: Entering notation in band in a box. - 08/03/15 09:23 PM
What about quarter note triplets? I see how to get 8th note triplets by subdividing a bar into 3 but what about two bars for the quarter note triplet?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Entering notation in band in a box. - 08/03/15 09:55 PM
Ah, revisting a blast from the past (2011)?

IanTai, welcome to the forum.

Perhaps you meant to say, two beats [for a quarter-note triplet] instead of two bars? When you are in Editable Notation Mode, and you have set the timing to triplets, use every OTHER dotted vertical line for quarter note triplets. [Use EVERY dotted vertical line for eighth note triplets.] So the quarter note triplets would be entered on the first, third and fifth dotted vertical lines. Etc.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Entering notation in band in a box. - 08/03/15 09:56 PM
Originally Posted By: IanTai
What about quarter note triplets? I see how to get 8th note triplets by subdividing a bar into 3 but what about two bars for the quarter note triplet?

Like this? Well it's not that easy. It displays like this in Editable mode, but switch out of edit, and unfortunately that's no longer what is presented...

Attached picture 2015-08-04_10-54-39.jpg
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Entering notation in band in a box. - 08/03/15 10:01 PM
I don't know, Trevor, but I'd call those half-note triplets. However, you DID subdivide a full bar (measure) into 3, as was requested.

Since we have clearly read his question differently, it would help if IanTai could come back and clarify.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Entering notation in band in a box. - 08/04/15 05:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I don't know, Trevor, but I'd call those half-note triplets. However, you DID subdivide a full bar (measure) into 3, as was requested.

Since we have clearly read his question differently, it would help if IanTai could come back and clarify.

Matt, thanks, yes I wasn't sure how to interpret. It could be done one way or the other, but not both at the same time. I took a guess. Let me see what I can do with the quarter note job...
I'll be back

Trevor
Posted By: IanTai Re: Entering notation in band in a box. - 08/04/15 08:14 AM
Yes. I meant two beats not measures. So a quarter note triplet would be the equivalent of two beats in a four beat measure. I have one other question about notation, but I'm sure if it should be posted here or elsewhere -

When I notate my melody, it appears to play back with my song. I can see the notes being played light up, but I don't have any play back sound for what I've written. Thanks for responding.
Posted By: IanTai Re: Entering notation in band in a box. - 08/04/15 08:30 AM
I worked out the melody issue. Thanks for the help.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Entering notation in band in a box. - 08/04/15 09:45 AM
OK, I'm back. Finally got a chance to have a look at this. Here are the quarter note triplets - the other possible interpretation.

Oh, and welcome Ian to the Forum!

Attached picture 2015-08-04_22-41-56.jpg
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Entering notation in band in a box. - 08/04/15 10:05 AM
Good. A quarter note triplet is three notes sounding evenly spaced in two consecutive beats (assuming a time signature where the second number is 4). Measures don't factor into it...
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Entering notation in band in a box. - 08/04/15 10:59 AM
Good. A quarter note triplet is three notes sounding evenly spaced in two consecutive beats (assuming a time signature where the second number is 4). Measures don't factor into it...

Hi Matt. 100% agree
Only difference for me is all the music theory and rudiments I studied, and the examinations I sat for all those years ago only taught me terms like minims, crotchets, quavers, semi-quavers, demi-semi-quavers, semibreves etc... (Australian Music Conservatorium and London College of Music) Yes, they do it a little differently here. smirk
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Entering notation in band in a box. - 08/04/15 12:14 PM
Trevor, every time I see terms like that, I quaver in my boots.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Entering notation in band in a box. - 08/04/15 12:22 PM

Ha Ha
Good one
Normal for me, but feel free to shake away... crazy
Posted By: Planobilly Re: Entering notation in band in a box. - 08/04/15 01:27 PM

Hey Matt,

Can you do a demonstration of these concepts ( minims, crotchets, quavers, semi-quavers, demi-semi-quavers, semibreves ) on the Flugelhorn for me?...lol

And I thought BB was going to be an arcane subject, I had no idea what I was getting in to...lollol

You guys are too funny. At least I get to laugh till tears run down my face.

Yours Truly,

Seriously confused...lol

© PG Music Forums