PG Music Home
Posted By: 1an Problems with BiaB and Amplitube simultaneously - 02/04/11 12:42 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to get BiaB to play at the same time as Amplitube?

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 from XP and now I can only have Amplitube OR BiaB working.

The whole idea of having these 2 programs is for them to work at the same time.

I can only get sound to come out of one or the other (depending which one was opened first).

Thanks in advance for any help regarding this.
*It might be that you are attempting to have both programs use ASIO sound drivers at the same time. Answer here would be to set one, likely BiaB to Windows Sound Drivers (MME, which on today's OS's would invoke the WDM).*

Also, if your Amplitube install included a DX or VST version, that might be the easie way to use it to record in BiaB, using the DX tooblar button inside BB to find and invoke it as an effecct on the Audio track. This may or may not allow you to play in realtime, but is worth trying.

--Mac
Well I use it 2 nights a week for 3 hours a night and it works fine.BUT I use it in standalone mode with there Stealth interface that is ASIO only. I use the Ampeg SVX from them.Play bass through the plug & out to my mixer.I have RB set to WDM also.
Maybe a little more detail as to how you're trying to use it.
Hi Mac, thank you for the fast reply.

I'm using the latest ASIO4ALL on Amplitube and the Coyote ForteDXi in Biab.

I have the exact same settings I used on XP and had no problems at all like this.

I'm not looking to record, only to play along at the moment. I tried turning the Biab song into an mp3 but Media player won't even play any sounds while Amplitube is being used.

I can hear Biab and Media player at the same time (not much use I know)
I can hear Biab on it's own.
I can hear Amplitube on it's own.

I can hear Amplitube AND Biab together as long as I choose Creative Asio in Amplitube but the latency is awful.

I can't use ASIO4ALL with Amplitube at the same time as Biab (any settings) or Media Player.

I'm fairly sure Media Player doesn't use ASIO4ALL for sound output so I'm pretty stumped as to what is wrong.
ASIO tries to be a "one man dog" in order to deliver that lower latency figure and often is the case where we can't open two audio programs that are set to use the same sound device's ASIO drivers at the same time. This might be your problem.

Try setting BiaB to MME sound drivers, which will really invoke the WDM Windows Sound on any modern OS.

Set Amplitube to use the ASIO drivers as that is the program where the low latency figure is needed for realtime playing.

Good luck,

--Mac
Hi guys thanks for the suggestions.

I finally found a way around this problem. Many others have similar issues which you can read about here:

http://mtippach.proboards.com/index.cgi?...=786&page=1

Quoted from another thread: "Win-7 or ASIO4All is tying up Direct Sound when it creates the ASIO interface. I can play multiple audio files using Winamp and Windows Media Player but as soon as ASIO4All is opened Direct Sound is locked."

This did not happen under XP.

So my solution depends on you having a Creative sound card because you need to use the Creative ASIO in BiaB and then use the ASIO4ALL in Amplitube.

If you want to play the guitar while listening to a backing track (MP3, WAVE etc) then you'll need to get a DAW like "Reaper" and load Amplitube into a track as a VST and the MP3 into another track.

There is a Windows Media Player plugin which will allow you to use Creative ASIO to play songs but I personally had problems with my system after using this. It would have been the best solution meaning no DAW required... shame it was buggy.

Even though it is said that ASIO4ALL is meant to work this way I can't explain why this problem was not in XP. Creative ASIO does not have this problem, I can have BiaB and Amplitube use this at the same time without issues, but as I said before the latency in Amplitube is too high (about 300 ms).

Hopefully this will help someone else.
Quote:

Even though it is said that ASIO4ALL is meant to work this way I can't explain why this problem was not in XP. Creative ASIO does not have this problem, I can have BiaB and Amplitube use this at the same time without issues, but as I said before the latency in Amplitube is too high (about 300 ms).

Change the Creative ASIO buffer settings to a lower value.
Maybe something of an "Indiana Jones" solution (think guy with scimitar, guy with gun) if your are using BAIB in midi only mode, but you could use something like Sonar or, I presume, Reaper or similar as an intermediary. Use a virtual midi cable to route outputs from BAIB to your DAW, and insert the VSTi on the relevant midi tracks. Set up Amplitube on another track, and route your hardware input to that. That should take care of the conflicting drivers and the latency. You can also use the DAWs mixer, with judicious use of compressors / peak limiters, to balance the track much more easily than you could with two outputs. An advantage with this route is that you are not limited to Forte for your midi stuff. You can use any VSTi you choose on any track.

Just a thought.

Brian
© PG Music Forums