PG Music Home
Posted By: cychan7570 B half diminished #7 ? - 02/08/11 02:46 AM
I am trying to put B half diminished #7 (B, D, F, A#) into BIAB bars. What should I type in the bar? Thx.
Posted By: DennisD Re: B half diminished #7 ? - 02/08/11 05:05 AM
I will be interested in other replies to this one. My understanding is that a half diminished chord (also a minor7flat5) is composed of the root third 5th and 7th. Or
B D# F# A . The 3rd and 5th are flattened and the 7th is needed to make the chord which will read. B D F A or Bø or Bm7b5. The A is missing in the notes above. The notes above B D F comprise the "standard" structure for a B° chord. The only way I can add the A# is to use the Chord Builder and put the A# in the bass as a "/" note,and make either chord a Bø/A# or a B°/A#. If you wanted the A# top voiced out there?DennisD
Posted By: DennisD Re: B half diminished #7 ? - 02/08/11 05:09 AM
Oops the last sentence should read
If you wanted the A# top voiced the chord builder puts you out of luck. Are there any other offerings out there. Thanks. DennisD
Posted By: cychan7570 Re: B half diminished #7 ? - 02/08/11 05:14 AM
Dennis,

Thx for the reply. I saw in your reply u type B circle with a slash = b half diminished. How can I type that circle with a slash on my computer keyboard? I am trying to insert it into BIAB bar.

Also, ya... the sound that I am looking for, require the A# to be on top. I have play around with Chord Builder but I still can't get B,D,F,A#. If anyone got any ideas how to do this, please advise.

Thanks a lot ;-)
Posted By: Noel96 Re: B half diminished #7 ? - 02/08/11 05:56 AM
Hi cychan,

BdimMaj7 (or equivalent) is not yet supported by BIAB. Also, even though BIAB lists the chords Bdim and Bdim7 as separate chords, both give the same 4-note chord B-D-F-Ab. BIAB does not yet support a 3-note diminished chord (e.g. B-D-F).

Whenever a chord outside of BIAB's repertoire is required, with a little creative thinking, it's often possible to come up with a suitable alternative chord. In this instance, using Dmaug/B (i.e. D-F-A# on a B bass) should solve the problem for you. (Another that might be worth trying is Bb/B - i.e. D-F-Bb(A#) on a B bass.)

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: DennisD Re: B half diminished #7 ? - 02/10/11 08:50 PM
Hi cychan sorry for the late response. If you are trying to make that symbol in BIAB it will default as follows: for diminished chord type d after the chord, for a half diminished chord type h . If you are trying to create those symbols in a document then (using window$) go to: programs>accessories>system tools>character map. Just scroll through all the symbols, select, copy then go back to your document and paste.DennisD
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: B half diminished #7 ? - 02/10/11 09:34 PM
In BIAB, you will only see the circle and slash-circle if you are using the PG Jazz Font.
© PG Music Forums