PG Music Home
This may be a little off topic, but this is where the best minds and most helpful folks reside.

I'm fixin' to install my EMU 1616 PCI digital audio system (PCI card plus breakout box)in my new computer - see specs in signature. I have only one PCI slot. The 1616 worked well in my old XP/32 computer. I had removed the SB card from it - so it was "all EMU".

I have EMU "beta" W7/64 drivers downloaded and ready to install. Word is that they work well.

My new system now has the Realtek "sound card" - I think it's really "embedded"??? Functions well. I have had it playing simultaneously BIAB and Sonar midi and audio, a midi player, and WMP while I banged music out of my keyboard.

Now, considering the installation the EMU 1616 - Any words of wisdom for the process? Any experience with this combination of Realtek and EMU? Is it possible that both EMU and Realtek could live together? Do I need to disable or physically remove (if possible) Realtek? Any insights appreciated.

Thanks.
You shouldn't have to remove the Realtek, just select the Emu after installing it.

Pay close attention to the install instructions, some cards want the drivers installed before physically installing the card (so windows doesn't automatically install generic drivers), some want it the other way around.
If you do have some problems, I doubt it though, you can disable the onboard card in your "Device Menu." As long as you have the EMU driver properly installed and have Windows "pointing/selected" it in Control Panel/Sound/Audio/Midi etc . . you should be good to go.

Trax
The "Unofficial E-MU Forum" is the place to go for help with the E-MU cards.

We try to keep up with what's going on and help each other there.

E-MU Forums

Bookmark it.

Find the one for your particular device and do some searches for what others have encountered.

Post if you need specified help.

The most important aspect of E-MU install is to NOT LET WINDOWS INSTALL ITS DRIVERS when you first start up with the E-MU installed. Click NO and then install from your E-MU files.

--Mac
OK - with just a little drama with about 6 reboots and driver installations accompanied by a lot of driver-not-installed messages, finally all worked. Stable after a day. In Control Pamel/Sounds can change from Realtek to EMU with impunity. Scariest thing was seeing that Realtek and EMU share the same IRQ. Bugt all seems well. Is this normal?

Mac - Yes, I spent a few hours there combing through some threads. Came to BIAB for some different experiences.

Thanks.
If I had any problems I would attempt to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS.

If no problems encountered, then, "if it works, don't fix it!".

--Mac
© PG Music Forums