PG Music Home
Posted By: malevans De compressing - 02/24/11 05:45 PM
Hi all,

Would someone be kind enough to tell me a quick way to de-compress a single folder of a Real Tracks instrument.

I don't want to de-compress the lot ........ I think that would be 9,999 wma to wav.

Big size.

Posted By: malevans Re: De compressing - 02/24/11 05:51 PM
Oh, and would it be ok to leave the wma files in that same folder?

Also, will the wav file play by default?

:-)
Posted By: malevans Re: De compressing - 02/24/11 05:52 PM
........... and can I have the winning lottery ticket for next week?

Posted By: Rachael Re: De compressing - 02/24/11 05:53 PM
A media player, such as Foobar will do that for you. You would drag the entire folder into Foobar and Convert to WAV. Lots of folks here use Audacity. I'm not sure it can decompress but someone will chime in.

R
Posted By: silvertones Re: De compressing - 02/24/11 05:56 PM
Are you having trouble with the RTs taking to long to load? Each time a RT is loaded it decompresses so there is really nothing to gain but a very minute amount of load time.What v BTW?
Posted By: malevans Re: De compressing - 02/24/11 05:56 PM

Ah yes ......... a third party plugin.

I'll look around.

Posted By: malevans Re: De compressing - 02/24/11 06:06 PM
Latest version with everything.

I simply left all of the real tracks and drums as wma files on usb drive.

Although I have four 1 TB drives I am using them constantly for video and full score sound files with many vst's. I have a few 1 TB drives for storage but have only backed up real tracks as wma. Lazy 'aint I?

So you are saying that when a real track is used, it is auto converted to wave?

Posted By: silvertones Re: De compressing - 02/24/11 06:36 PM
Quote:

So you are saying that when a real track is used, it is auto converted to wave?

no it's converted to wav
Posted By: malevans Re: De compressing - 02/24/11 06:48 PM
OK ....... That's wav not wave.

Not a surfer dude.

Posted By: malevans Re: De compressing - 02/24/11 06:57 PM
It seems to not work.

I tried using River Past. Plays but weird sounding.

I need to know what the default de-compressor would be using. I assume mono, 44.1 KHz, 16 bit, PCM.

Would that be right?
Posted By: malevans Re: De compressing - 02/24/11 06:58 PM
Oh and 705 kbps.
Posted By: Rachael Re: De compressing - 02/24/11 07:04 PM
Some RTs are mono and some stereo. I'm sure the bit rate changes as well depending on the instrument.

R
Posted By: Rachael Re: De compressing - 02/24/11 07:08 PM
BTW, with the new Fast Generation of RTs option in BIAB, you probably are not saving any time whatsoever. The WMA file is much smaller and needs less seeks on the drive. You never said why you wanted this?

I have decompressed the drum kits I use and it saves a few seconds on my old XP machine. I leave the RTs alone.

R
Posted By: malevans Re: De compressing - 02/24/11 07:16 PM
Wow if the they all differ, I think i'll leave them alone too.

TY

Posted By: silvertones Re: De compressing - 02/24/11 07:24 PM
BIAB uses wav files when it plays. In 2011 it's a moot point cause with the fast generation feature there's no option to convert to wav. There is for the Real Drums. Because the program uses wav it must first convert from wma to wav. Takes a couple mili seconds longer. The sound quality is IDENTICAL. If you really think you need the quality you needed to buy the Audiophile version .It ships with the ORIGINAL AS RECORDED .wav files.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: De compressing - 02/24/11 07:34 PM
Hello Mal,

Quote:

Would someone be kind enough to tell me a quick way to de-compress a single folder of a Real Tracks instrument.

In your \bb\RealTracks folder, you should find a file called decompress.exe. Copy this file into the folder of interest and double-click on it.
Posted By: rharv Re: De compressing - 02/24/11 07:49 PM
Depends on the track, some are stereo, quite a few actually.
Probbably why it sounds weird. Merged stereo to mono
Posted By: silvertones Re: De compressing - 02/24/11 08:11 PM
Quote:

Hello Mal,

Quote:

In your \bb\RealTracks folder, you should find a file called decompress.exe. Copy this file into the folder of interest and double-click on it.

Any real reason to do this Andrew at this point?
Posted By: John Conley Re: De compressing - 02/24/11 09:31 PM
I think one would have to benchmark some complex and long files.

Time it with and without. On a slower computer.

It might be a case by case scenario too. Some folks have so many processes running it's plain crazy.

Software there to detect the old camera you used to have, running in the background to see if you plugged it in. Sometimes looking at every usb port. Anti virus stuff. I don't think everyone has the knowledge to go in and figure that stuff out. Or do anything about it.

In my case, I just trust that the default settings and setup are done by guys a lot smarter than I, and I just leave it alone.

That said, I'm thinking of playing April in Paris.
Posted By: Andrew - PG Music Re: De compressing - 02/24/11 11:27 PM
Quote:

Any real reason to do this Andrew at this point?

No, I can't really think of a good reason to, but thought I'd answer the original question. The information might be useful.
© PG Music Forums