PG Music Home
When I export a song in BIAB to midi that has chords in it do each of the chord notes show up as separate tracks? For instance if I have a three-note piano chord that I export to midi do I end up with three piano midi tracks - one for each note? If I export a five-note piano chord, do I end up with five midi piano tracks?
No.
Thanks for the quick response. So they end up like those drum tracks where all the different drum kits components are in one midi track and you have to manually separate them out into different midi tracks?
In general, you get one MIDI track for each BIAB instrument. There are exceptions, selected in the Options button when you click on the MID button. The options include having the guitar on six channels and having the Harmony on a separate channel. You can also specify a MIDI drum track even if you are using a RealDrum track.
1) No option for the piano on x channels because it could in theory be up to 88?

2)With all the piano notes on one channel is there a tool to automatically create x number of tracks from the one channel e.g. if I have 3 note chords on the one channel split into 3 separate tracks each one with 1 note of the chord?
1. Sounds right.
2. Not that I know of.

I'm not sure why you would want to do this, anyway. Don't forget, many MIDI devices are limited to 16 channels (tracks), or maybe two banks of 16.
If you take it to RB you can split the piano into left and right hand if that would help.

Also, if you're bound and determined to do it you might try (again in RB) copying the piano track and paste it to an empty track, select it, then use split drums (edit - split midi drums) to separate tracks. Then right click each new track and change midi track to whatever you want. I haven't tried it but I think it should work.

Jim
Thanks. I will give that a try.
Quote:

1) No option for the piano on x channels because it could in theory be up to 88?

2)With all the piano notes on one channel is there a tool to automatically create x number of tracks from the one channel e.g. if I have 3 note chords on the one channel split into 3 separate tracks each one with 1 note of the chord?

This is the kind of thing which, if I was going to try it, I would import into Propellerhead Reason. You would have to do it manually, but there are several ways in which to split the thing into separate MIDI tracks/instruments, essentially without limit. Expensive but elegant.

R.
I cannot fathom the request, even from a nautical sense. I'll leave you to plumb the depths of this. Don't forget the Bosenwhozit wif the extra ivories. Wow. If you need extra notes you can have the top 16 from my piano, I shall never hear those suckers again anyway. Along with the alarm clock.
Thanks for all the tips.
Hi,

Why do you want the notes of a chord on separate tracks? It does seem a slightly odd request. Each time you changed chords you would end up with a whole new set of notes and therefore yet more tracks. Why would you want that?

If you're asking whether the chords show up on the midi as three separate notes, on different lines, then yes they will.

If you really wanted to break that down in some unusual way, for your own reasons, then you could just drop the same midi into your DAW a number of times, on multiple tracks. Then work through and delete the notes you don't want on a given track, and leave the ones that you do. Midi is easy to edit however you want - move them to change pitch, add more, delete, change the durations, or do whatever you want.

Like John Conley, I'm a bit perplexed by your question. Why would you want to do that? Are you going to try and split the chords and assign different elements to other instruments for instance? Just curious...

Cheers,

Chris
I read this post only because splitting techniques are sometimes useful for building ensemble parts for brass or strings when played back by separate instruments using a good player like Garritan. For example creating a harmony part using the harmonizer might provide what this user is looking for. If he literally wants to split piano parts I don't get it either.
Splitting midi tracks is done all of the time for Piano parts. One patch might have that "OoOOOh those bass notes sound so good" compared to the tink tink on a different patch.

Brass and String parts will give a fuller sound when split up and used with several patch sounds. Those French Horns can add some spice to a nice set of Strings.

Trax
Quote:

I read this post only because splitting techniques are sometimes useful for building ensemble parts for brass or strings ...

Extracting ensemble parts from some created harmonc arrangement is just a mouse click.
© PG Music Forums