PG Music Home
I plan to move BIAB (et al) to a new Windows 7-64 computer. BIAB is currently on an external USB HD listed as Drive K. I would like to move BIAB from the external drive and on to one of the two 1Tb 7,200 rpm hard drives I have in the Win7-64 box. Here's what I think I should do:

1. Connect the external HD to the Win7-64 computer

2. Copy the BB folder and all subfolders to one of the two 1T HDs; probably loading it into the drive with the system and programs, and leaving the second 1 Tb drive for data storage

3a. Connect the BIAB2011 ultra external drive (PG Music installation drive) and reinstall BIAB. (I believe the program will prompt me for the location, in which case I'll tell it where I copied BIAB.)

3b. Reinstall RealBand and all the other ancillary programs that come with BIAB from scratch (I won't copy them from the external HD called "K", so this is a fresh install for these programs.)

4. Apply patches to bring BIAB up to date

5. Reinstall Coyote Forte DXi

6. Everything works as planned

I guess the easiest way is just to leave BIAB on the external drive, but I believe I'll significantly increase performance -- at least at the disk level -- by moving it to the faster 7,200 rpm 1Tb hard drive.

If everything works, I hope to install a new audio/midi interface and my Ketron SD2 (which is now connected to my laptop), but this will happen subsequent to getting BIAB to function on the Win7-64 box.

I would like to get feedback and suggestions about this plan and welcome any opinion or advice you may wish to share.

Thanks,

Bob aka jazzwombat
Hi Bob,

What you describe will work.

To install the program on to your internal hard drive, all you need to do is connect the USB drive, navigate to the USB drive and then run the setup program. It is important that you run this program. Once you specify the installation drive, all will proceed. (I think this setup program will also install Realband for you, too.)

When setup is run, you will be offered some options (4 I seem to recall). One of those options is to install the program on your hard drive. From what you say, that it the option that you will be needing.

If you've been saving songs into the BIAB fodler on the USB drive, then, as you say, it's a good idea to copy the directory across first and then run the setup program on the USB drive.

Regards,
Noel
As previously stated. Then do the updates to get the latest release.

If you then have band in a box music files those move over.
Quote:

2. Copy the BB folder and all subfolders to one of the two 1T HDs; probably loading it into the drive with the system and programs, and leaving the second 1 Tb drive for data storage

Just to be clear, don't copy the files, install them by following the instructions in the Setup file on your PG hard drive. Pick Option 3. Peter was asked a few weeks ago what was the best way to run Biab. He said if you have a new fast PC with a big hard drive then the best way is to install everything including all the Real Tracks onto your C drive even though everything will run fine from the external drive. With a 1 TB system drive who cares if Biab/RB and all the RT's uses about 40-50 gigs or so? That's what I did with my new PC six weeks ago and my external drive is now just a back up.

Bob
Echoing everyone else. By all means INSTALL IT FRESH. Accept the default file locations. Run the updates. Move your song files, and you are BIAB, "Back in a-business!!"
I will somewhat disagree a little however it depends on Bob's setup.If he has a bunch of user made styles etc.He'll lose all that. Copy everything over but don't use it. Then reinstall over the top of the copied version. If you have no user styles etc to worry about then just do a fresh install.
When I set up my new windows 7 system in April, I connected the PGM Hard Drive to an USB Port and did a standard Install to the C drive to get all the fonts and DXi etc installed. After that I copied my existing BIAB and RealBand folders containing all sorts of development material into the newly installed folders. This is the method I have used for a number of PC upgrades and it works and is even easier now with the PG Music Hard Drive.
Thanks for all the great advice. I appreciate it! It seems the consensus is do a fresh install into C:, and then copy over just user-specific song folders from my external HD to the new computer's HD. Right? I had hoped that by first copying my existing BIAB folder with everything over to the new C: drive, and then installing BIAB from the PGM HD _over_ my copy I would save my existing preferences and setup information. I would hate to have to start from scratch in getting the BIAB options back to where they are in my current installation. So, my question may need to be changed to "How do I preserve my original setup when installing BIAB on a new computer?" Sorry to string this topic on...

Best wishes,

Bob aka jazzwombat
With Upgrades your preferences are preserved. I believe that you can save your existing settings as a precaution but I cannot remember the whereabouts of this feature.
Quote:

With Upgrades your preferences are preserved. I believe that you can save your existing settings as a precaution but I cannot remember the whereabouts of this feature.

Thanks. This is what I thought.

So, is their anything wrong with copying my existing BIAB folders to a new drive and then installing the BIAB 2011 upgrade from the PGC install HD over them? I guess I'm being exceptionally slow and apologize for it.

Bob aka jazzwombat
Quote:

I believe that you can save your existing settings as a precaution but I cannot remember the whereabouts of this feature.

Opts., Return to Factory Settings. After you select a choice you will be prompted to back up your current settings.

I believe this prompt was only added in version 2011. If you have an earlier version, just make a backup copy of these three files (which the program will rebuild):

/BB/mysetup.dk
/BB/bbtoolbar.ini
/BB/intrface.bbw
© PG Music Forums