PG Music Home
Posted By: BIABguy Cleaning up... - 08/02/11 09:05 PM
I need to recover much needed disk space on one of my drives.

When I installed BIAB 2011 I kept BIAB 2008, as is my nature, from past experience.

What is the procedure for removing previous BIAB versions?
Hopefully it is not as tedious as it currently appears.

For example:

When I examine BIAB 2008 Real\Drums folder and compare it to the
BIAB 2011 Real\Drums folder
I see the Jazz4sTerryClarke files are identical

HOWEVER...

I see in the Jazz folder files are DIFFERENT in number, content etc.

I see the JazzBrushes#1 files are identical

HOWEVER...

I see the JazzBrushesSticks are DIFFERENT in number, content etc.

and on and on and on it goes...

and to make matters even worse, BIAB 2008 Real\Drums has folders that BIAB 2011 doesn't even have
(in my situation)!

For example:
\JazzBrushes54
\Nashville2Beat
\NashvilleShuffle
many many more...

Surely I won't have to go through the hundreds of folders manually and compare the contents of each, side by side to remove doubled files?

Please advise. Thanks!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Cleaning up... - 08/02/11 09:37 PM
What are the names of the folders where you installed each of these versions?

By the way, I have always installed the new version over the old one, into the default /BB folder.
Posted By: rharv Re: Cleaning up... - 08/02/11 10:04 PM
You *should* be able to remove all old versions of BiaB and just use the new, providing the new version has all the Realtracks you installed previously. Filenames changed recently with the newer Elastique engine, but otherwise things should work fine.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Cleaning up... - 08/02/11 10:18 PM
Bob, I would have said that too, except I hesitated because he appears to have some RealTracks with the old version he may not have with the new.

BIABGuy, it would be perfectly normal to have many FEWER files in 2011, but not missing folders. To be safe, why don't you consult PG Music Support on this, tell them exactly what you have and where it was installed, and get their advice? I don't want to advise you by remote and possibly have you erase some RealTracks you have purchased separately. They will have records of what you bought (assuming you bought it there).
Posted By: BIABguy Re: Cleaning up... - 08/03/11 02:41 AM
Quote:

What are the names of the folders where you installed each of these versions?

By the way, I have always installed the new version over the old one, into the default /BB folder.

This is where I installed just the Real tracks:

\BIAB2008-Real and
\BIAB2011-Real

just in case I had any problems I could go back to 2008.
Posted By: BIABguy Re: Cleaning up... - 08/03/11 02:43 AM
Quote:

You *should* be able to remove all old versions of BiaB and just use the new, providing the new version has all the Realtracks you installed previously. Filenames changed recently with the newer Elastique engine, but otherwise things should work fine.

Well that's the whole thing.
As I mentioned in my OP there are differences between the two.
Posted By: BIABguy Re: Cleaning up... - 08/03/11 02:46 AM
Quote:

Bob, I would have said that too, except I hesitated because he appears to have some RealTracks with the old version he may not have with the new.

... To be safe, why don't you consult PG Music Support on this, tell them exactly what you have and where it was installed, and get their advice? I don't want to advise you by remote and possibly have you erase some RealTracks you have purchased separately. They will have records of what you bought (assuming you bought it there).

Thanks. I guess I'll do that, because now that I think about it I am sure I purchased a bunch of RealTracks separately.

If they confirm that, I think I'm still going to be in hot water.
How will I be able to keep certain folders/files and remove the rest in an quick/easy way?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Cleaning up... - 08/03/11 02:48 AM
My advice remains the same.

If it helps, I routinely work in the folder level to strip out RealTracks from my laptop to free up space. I use a file management utility called Total Commander, but you could just as easily open two Windows Explorer windows and compare what you see.
Posted By: BIABguy Re: Cleaning up... - 08/03/11 03:20 AM
Quote:

My advice remains the same.

If it helps, I routinely work in the folder level to strip out RealTracks from my laptop to free up space. I use a file management utility called Total Commander, but you could just as easily open two Windows Explorer windows and compare what you see.

Thanks Matt.
I contacted PGMusic and discovered something cool.

In each case I had copied only folders I used frequently to my hard drive, the rest remained on the USB drives/DVD's.

So I can safely delete all of my BIAB2008 folders/files.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Cleaning up... - 08/03/11 04:11 AM
Cool!
© PG Music Forums