PG Music Home
Hi All!

I know I read about this in the manual, but for the life of me can not find it again!

There's a way to change the way a chord is displayed on the "chordsheet" (enharmonic equivalents).

I want to change a sharp chord to a flat chord.

For instance... Change a F# Maj7 chord to a Gb Maj7 chord.

Can someone show me how to do this?

Thanks,

Harpo
I would like to know how to do this as well...
In the "Editable Notation Mode" (where you go to edit notes)right-click a note, click "Edit Note" and go to the "Force Accidental" button.
Well, that works well for notes, but not for chords, which is what the first two posters want.

There is "Use chord scale for enharmonics" in the Options, Preferences, Notation which controls enharmonic choice of note within a chord, but does nothing to the chord itself.

BIAB is so chord-oriented that I'm not sure how such a feature would be implemented. However, there is Edit, Search/Replace Chords, so you could do it semi-automatically within a whole song.

Not the answer you were looking for...
If I understand this question correctly, you should be able to right-click the chord in the chord window, select chord setting from the menu, then the "chord subs" button. For the chord F#m7, I saw a Gbm7 listed and selected it. It changed to Gbm7 on the chord sheet and I saved ... worked on my machine...

Good luck
Ken
Thanks folks. I'm looking at a G#7 - the chord subs don't show Ab7 - any other ideas?
pg
I was able to change a G#7 to an Ab7 in the chord window and retain it without right-clicking and going to the Chord Subs area. Are you able to do that?

Blessings!
Ken
Ken, that's worth stating the obvious, that one may simply type the enharmonic equivalent chord into the chordsheet. You can have F#Maj7 and GbMaj7 in the same bar.

I was making the assumption that the OP was looking for some BIAB command or process.
Matt, you may be right! I was not thinking in that direction...Ha!
What wasn't said was if it was an imported MIDI or the results of ACW. If that's the case, I would just try typing the replacement (enharmonic) chord over whatever is there. I think that should be the easy way, as long as you're not playing with chords like B#, Cb, E#, or Fb.
In most cases, changing the song key will take care of the chord root appearances. For example, If I start a song in Ab and type in:

Gm7b5 | G#Maj7

... I just have to changed the key of the song (anything other than Ab), then back to Ab (choosing "Yes" to "OK to transpose WorkSheet" both times). After doing that the chords will appear:

Gm7b5 | AbMaj7
Thanks, Blake. I know this works sometimes but not often for me, so I did not recommend it to the OP.

Do you know exactly what the operating rules are for this, so my chances of having it work would improve?
As far as I know, it should work if all the chord roots are in a natural diatonic scale. For example:

C, D, E, F, G, A, B

So that scale transposed up a semi-tone should yield:

Db, Eb, F, Gb, Ab, Bb, C

rather than something like:

Db, D#, F, Gb, Ab, A#, C

I am not sure what the operating rules are for any non-obvious (to the computer) mode changes from the chosen key in the song.
© PG Music Forums