PG Music Home
Posted By: Mark1008 Silence is NOT golden - 08/17/11 11:34 PM
I am running BIAB 2011 Build 318....

Have any of you experienced when you have entered a song's chords, selected a style and pressed play that no sound is heard? I know the song is playing because I see the piano keys in different colors indicating the tracks are indeed playing.

What I have discovered is that as the song is playing, I click on Pref / MIDI Driver..(MIDI/Audio Drivers Setup Window opens) and I click OK. Walla.....sound. That is just weird!

This problem is also noticed when I JukeBox a directory and press play. Some songs play, however others do not.

I tried to nail it down to a single style when this occurs, but I can't. Some songs with styles that exhibit the scenario described above produce sound while other songs with the same style do not. One more twist...I have changed between ASIO and MIMI with the same results.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Mark.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Silence is NOT golden - 08/17/11 11:52 PM
Hi Mark. Haven't seen that, but unpredictable behavior like that means you should first try:

1) reboot
2) Opt., Return to Factory Settings

Of course, you may have already done that. If it persists, please let us know.

voilĂ 
Posted By: Mark1008 Re: Silence is NOT golden - 08/18/11 12:38 AM
Hi Matt.

I would have to say that I have tried the reboot because I shut down my PC each night and it resumes the next day or the next day, etc when I power up.

I have not tried the Return to Factory Setting though.....
I will do that and let everyone know my findings.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mark
Posted By: Mark1008 Re: Silence is NOT golden - 08/18/11 12:46 AM
I just found out what it is!

When I open the song ALL of the volume instruments are set to zero (0) and Pan is -63.
Well, again, I opened the Pref / MIDI Drivers as described in my original post and click ok. BAM!!! all of the volumes are at 90 now and my Pan(s) are set correctly

Now that is really wierd.

I agree with you Matt, I think it is time to try the return to factory settings..

Thanks.

Mark
Posted By: Mark1008 Re: Silence is NOT golden - 08/18/11 01:08 AM
Well, I returned settings to factory default. Did not help because it appears that the songs were saved with their volumes all the way down to zero. Don't know how that could be because the sounded great before I saved them.

What has me perplexed is that I had a default mix already set up and saved (right click on combo and select save current mix as default). When I try to load the default mix, all of those volumes are set to zero. Apparently my default mix file is hosed up.

What I will do is find all the songs that is having the volume issues - reset their mix settings (vol / pan) and SAVE the file again.

Thank you Matt for (believe it or not) pointing me in the right direction.

Mark
Posted By: Rachael Re: Silence is NOT golden - 08/18/11 01:13 AM
If you use the same settings in all of your songs, the File Utilites has an option to set all songs in a folder to the default mix. Saves a lot of time.

R
Posted By: Mark1008 Re: Silence is NOT golden - 08/18/11 01:22 AM
Thanks Rachael.

I was using that setting in the past because I DO like the same setting for every song and since I factory reset the band they all went out for a five minute break while I figure out the computer.

You saved me some time here hunt'n and and peck'n.

Thank you.

Mark
Posted By: Mark1008 Re: Silence is NOT golden - 08/18/11 01:45 AM
Well, that is what it was folks. Certain songs were somehow saved with the volumes set to zero and pans set to -63.

I reset my volume and pan settings for each instrument and right clicked on COMBO to save settings to default mix.

I took Rachael's advice and utilized the file utilities command to change all the songs in the current folder to default mix...
While it was doing the conversion I could see the volume settings for each song flash before me very, very quickly as the default settings were applied to each song in the folder and A LOT of the songs in the folder had the volumes set to zero. Not sure how they got that way (that's another thread), but more importantly the problem is resolved.

As we used to say "you've got a short between your headset!" Yea...me!!

Thank you for your responses.

Mark
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Silence is NOT golden - 08/18/11 03:03 AM
That's great you found it, and even better that you reported back what you found. Not everyone does that; it does us no good for the next time when somebody just writes "I solved it.".

Isn't it likely you created the problem the same way you solved it, with a batch command? By the way, the panning would not have mattered if the volume were set to 0.

The way I learned that joke was, there's a dead short between the chair and the keyboard!

One small advantage to version 2011.5 is the better visual feedback on volume and panning you would get from the new mixer, instead of having to hunt for the little numbers. [End of commercial]
Posted By: John Conley Re: Silence is NOT golden - 08/18/11 01:37 PM
. [End of commercial]
LOL.

+1 the new mixer is very very good. The spinners can go anytime soon. Then we won't understand what people are talking about...when they have the 2007 free version they copped from a download service and pop in to ask how to start biab..
Posted By: HearToLearn Re: Silence is NOT golden - 08/18/11 08:59 PM
Ok...I wasn't going to comment, because I don't know the answer to what you're asking, BUT...

When I saw the name of the thread I thought "What a great name for a song!", and couldn't wait to hear it! So...just saying, you may have something there:)
© PG Music Forums