PG Music Home
I want to use the Tyros 2 as midi sound module for Biab, it works but when I play back a midi file from my computer, the Tyros 2 plays all the parts correctly excepts the drums, that it plays back always with a piano sound. I think that the T2 automatically resets the drum parts to sound '00' or something like that. The same thing happen when I use Biab and the T2.

I have tried all the 'MIDI preset setups' on the T2, but there's no change, the drum parts don't play back correctly. Anyone messed with a similar setup? Maybe it's some of that Sysex stuff that I have never understood or cared about
Posted By: Noel96 Re: midi experts: Tyros 2 and Biab - 10/09/11 07:06 PM

Yamaha used to have their rhythm section on midi channel 15 (as opposed to all other midi systems which used channel 10). I suspect this is still the case. Under Opt | Preferences | Channel, try changing the drums channel to 15 in stead of 10.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: MarioD Re: midi experts: Tyros 2 and Biab - 10/09/11 11:43 PM
The drum track for the Tyros 2 is channel 10. Some very old Yamaha synths used channel 16. You will have to look at your manual and see what bank the drum kits are on. It maybe bank –127 or –128. You are probably on bank 0 and with a patch number of 1 you will get a piano sound, see the picture from Noel’s message.
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: midi experts: Tyros 2 and Biab - 10/10/11 01:23 AM

You would want to load the midi file into the Tyros directly and adjust the midi patches from it's internal mixer.

If you are simply auditioning midi files, then you will want to send a GM reset to get the drums to play on channel 10 on the Tyros. It also uses channel 9 for drum/percussion parts as well.

Trax
Posted By: rikkisbears Re: midi experts: Tyros 2 and Biab - 10/10/11 06:37 AM
Hi
check the bank changes in your midifile
your data list manual shows
Bank Select MSB 127 or 126 (on my psr1500)
Bank Select LSB 0 (on my psr1500 )
Program Change between 1 to 128 ( depending on the drumkit)

the above items should be present in your drum & percussion tracks.

As some mentioned Drums =10
Percussion= 9
thanks Noel,Mario and Rikkis, I will try this later. It would be very cool to use the T2 midi sounds in Biab
Posted By: maurig Re: midi experts: Tyros 2 and Biab - 10/10/11 10:28 AM
You have to send a GS command on, to get the drums playing on a Yamaha arranger. And set "GS MIDI command at startup" on true either.
I have a CVP Yamaha, and this solved the same problem for me.
You will find this tip in the FAQ's, too.
Quote:

You have to send a GS command on, to get the drums playing on a Yamaha arranger. And set "GS MIDI command at startup" on true either.
I have a CVP Yamaha, and this solved the same problem for me.
You will find this tip in the FAQ's, too.

ok, that's easy.

''Hey, yo, Biab's drummer! I command you to go GS, now ! ''

Uhm....didn't work.
checked 'data list'

I have set MSB to 127, LSB to '0', program change (patch?) to '0' (Live! standard kit)

no change whatsoever....the piano keeps playing the drums part
it had nothing to do with LSB, MSB, etc....I messed around with an option called 'send GM mode on at startup' and it's now working as it should
Posted By: rharv Re: midi experts: Tyros 2 and Biab - 10/10/11 05:31 PM
Quote:

If you are simply auditioning midi files, then you will want to send a GM reset to get the drums to play on channel 10 on the Tyros. It also uses channel 9 for drum/percussion parts as well.

Trax

Copied from above. Music Trax knows the Tyros well, so when more questions pop up, look for his posts.
Posted By: rikkisbears Re: midi experts: Tyros 2 and Biab - 10/11/11 12:17 AM

Hi ,
I just midied my PSR1500 to BIAB, works perfectly as sound module for BIAB.

BIAB: Options: synthesizer sound card " Tyros "

PSR: Function:Midi: ALL PARTS.

Not quite sure what you mean about playing midifiles??

Quote:

I want to use the Tyros 2 as midi sound module for Biab, it works but when I play back a midi file from my computer, the Tyros 2 plays all the parts correctly excepts the drums, that it plays back always with a piano sound. I think that the T2 automatically resets the drum parts to sound '00' or something like that. The same thing happen when I use Biab and the T2.

I have tried all the 'MIDI preset setups' on the T2, but there's no change, the drum parts don't play back correctly. Anyone messed with a similar setup? Maybe it's some of that Sysex stuff that I have never understood or cared about

Posted By: rikkisbears Re: midi experts: Tyros 2 and Biab - 10/11/11 01:12 AM
Hi
if you get the above working I've also got another couple of interesting setup options using BIAB & arranger keyboard.

Option 1: Using PSR as soundmodule for BIAB song but using PSR OTS for playing Right Hand Melody ( Biab transmits the left hand chords to PSR so that the Harmony ( if present in OTS) stays in tune.

Option 2: Using BIAB to play L/H chords for PSR1500.

ie I type in chord progression in BIAB, psr is set to external sync, BIAB plays the chords for the keyboard using psr styles not BIAB styles. (Also have same setup for my PA3X.)
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: midi experts: Tyros 2 and Biab - 10/11/11 08:04 PM
Quote:

ie I type in chord progression in BIAB, psr is set to external sync, BIAB plays the chords for the keyboard using psr styles not BIAB styles. (Also have same setup for my PA3X.)

Rikki I had no idea, this is too cool. I have the Pa1XPro, I've got to try this out as soon as I get home.

A Pa3X eh? Nice.

Bob
Posted By: rikkisbears Re: midi experts: Tyros 2 and Biab - 10/11/11 09:12 PM
Hi Jazzmammal,
I luv it. I was lucky enough to get my PA3X a couple of months ago. Many potential buyers are still waiting & waiting.

You probably know way more about BIAB than I do, but just in case
In preferences,
Output Chords on Channel
I have everything Ticked EXCEPT OutputChords during Lead IN.
I have the Chords Channel set to Channel 5, I don't use a Vocalizer.

I'm not familiar with PA1X midi settings. My PA800 used to have syncing problems when set to External Sync.
Thank goodness PA3X doesn't.

In my PA3X
Global : Midi Settings
Clock Send : Off
Clock Send : External USB ( or External Midi if applicable)
Local Control: On

Midi In Control: Chord 1: Midi Channel 5 ( to match chord channel in BIAB) Rest I didn't Touch.

Midi IN Channel : All Off. ( don't want Biab style playing at same time using Korg as Soundmodule).
Actually would be intersting to see if real drums etc might sync with korg style, might
experiment with that next.
Midi Out Channel: All Off.

Save asit's own global midi Setting.

Haven't worked out how to stop BIAB drum lead, so I use Korgs Count In to start song.

Press Synchro Start on Korg, press play on BIAB.

(I'm using BIAB 2011.5)

Quote:

Quote:

Rikki I had no idea, this is too cool. I have the Pa1XPro, I've got to try this out as soon as I get home.

A Pa3X eh? Nice.

Bob

Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: midi experts: Tyros 2 and Biab - 10/12/11 12:25 AM
Quote:

Hi
if you get the above working I've also got another couple of interesting setup options using BIAB & arranger keyboard.

Option 1: Using PSR as soundmodule for BIAB song but using PSR OTS for playing Right Hand Melody ( Biab transmits the left hand chords to PSR so that the Harmony ( if present in OTS) stays in tune.

You would need to load the midi file directly into the Tyros. The OTS are pre-set for Tyros styles, but if you call up a OTS setting, it *should* work when recording from the Tyros. You may need to set up a registration if you are planning to use more then 1 OTS, so when you switch, the OTS gets loaded correctly.

Trax
Posted By: rikkisbears Re: midi experts: Tyros 2 and Biab - 10/12/11 02:03 AM
Hi Trax,
my suggestion doesn't actually load anything into keyboard, it's done via midi.
All Option 1 does, is give the abilty to use the keyboard's harmony settings for the right hand( block chords etc)whilst playing a song in Band in a Box.

Option 2. is great for auditionig a song. It's quicker to type in a chord progression in Band in a Box than it is int the PA3X sequencer. It allows me to try different variations & styles for a song, makes it easier to concentrate on the melody part.

I only use my setup at home, not for performing.

Quote:

Quote:

Hi

You would need to load the midi file directly into the Tyros. The OTS are pre-set for Tyros styles, but if you call up a OTS setting, it *should* work when recording from the Tyros. You may need to set up a registration if you are planning to use more then 1 OTS, so when you switch, the OTS gets loaded correctly.

Trax

© PG Music Forums