PG Music Home
Posted By: Fishb0bb How do I add strings to my jazz ballad? - 12/27/11 06:07 PM
I have band in a box 2010. I need to add strings to my jazz ballad. Can some one help me out? Thank you!
Posted By: MitchC Re: How do I add strings to my jazz ballad? - 12/27/11 06:14 PM
Garritan Personal Orchestra or their newest product, Instant Orchestra. GPO is on sale for $99 right now. Will process midi string tracks. There are no 'real strings' tracks.

You could try the synth tracks to see if they might do the 'string' thing for you ?
Welcome to the forum.

BIAB will generate a string part for your song based on its chords. Right now, MIDI is the way to go, rather than RealTracks, for string parts. If you pick a style that has strings, you should find the program will write the parts for you. Note that some styles only play the strings in the 'B' substyle (where the part marker is green). If you want strings all the way through, make your first bar 'green'. [You click on the bar number to cycle through blue, green, and no color.]

If that's not it, could you please be more specific with your question? Tell us what you are trying to do, and what the program did or did not do, so we can give you the answers you need.
Hey Mitch, do you have the new Instant Orchestra? Does it handle volume via the mod wheel like the other Garritan products, where you have to set it each Play?
Posted By: MitchC Re: How do I add strings to my jazz ballad? - 12/27/11 06:32 PM
All 3 of the Garritan products I have bought (IO the newest) act the same way. PG is sending modwheel info that resets it to zero at each play (I guess?). DRAG.

Since PG sells the Garritan products, one would think that they (PG) would be aware of this issue and either not offer them, fix it, or put a NOTE in the product description informing the buyer of this. Dontcha think ?
Posted By: Fishb0bb Re: How do I add strings to my jazz ballad? - 12/27/11 06:51 PM
Ok i will be specific. Wow you guys responded quick thank you. Ok so im trying to get a Chris Botti sound.I have a transcription book of his with all the chords and solos and stuff. The goal is to create a backing track similar or as similar as i can get to this song. remember it doesnt have to be excact. here is the sound specifically that im going for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edkIZLK2ri0 the strings start at about 45 seconds in to the song. I have band in the box 2010 but on thursday i will have 2012 with the everything pak because i already ordered it and it is on its way. how should i go about trying to get this type of sound? Im going to use band in a box to create everything and then i will play my trumpet over the music at the gig that im trying to get. I hope thats enough for you guys. Thank you!
Posted By: MitchC Re: How do I add strings to my jazz ballad? - 12/27/11 07:10 PM
Garritan Personal Orchestra would be great for this. Select the Section Strings, Violins 1 - lush. Would work perfectly for this IMHO. You would write the midi part and apply the Garritan plug-in to render the midi into lush strings.

http://www.pgmusic.com/garritanpersonalorchestra.win.htm
Posted By: Fishb0bb Re: How do I add strings to my jazz ballad? - 12/27/11 07:17 PM
im new to this so i dont know what most of the things that you mentioned are. what is Garritan Personal Orchestra? what is IMHO? How do i write the MIDI part? and can you explain "Garritan plug-in to render the midi into lush strings." Thank you.
Posted By: Fishb0bb Re: How do I add strings to my jazz ballad? - 12/27/11 07:22 PM
ok i saw your link i get it now. so i would have to write out the string parts on Garritan Personal Orchestra and then transfer it over to BIAB correct?
Posted By: MitchC Re: How do I add strings to my jazz ballad? - 12/27/11 07:27 PM
No. You would write the midi part on a track in BIAB. Then apply Garritan as a fx to the BIAB track. After the midi part is written, it gets 'translated' into whatever Garritan patch you choose to apply.

To write the midi part you would do that in the editable Notation window, by clicking your mouse on the staff to place the notes / chord notes, you want played.

IMHO = In my humble opinion
There is a Cello Harmony setting that might work on the Biab String part. You would have to move the string part to the melody track and select the Cello Harmony.

Edit/Copy-Move should do the trick. Select Strings and set destination to Melody Track.

Might work?

Trax
Posted By: Fishb0bb Re: How do I add strings to my jazz ballad? - 12/28/11 02:43 AM
thank you that helped me get it. now i just need to mess around with it untill i get what i want excactly. thank you thank you thank you
© PG Music Forums