PG Music Home
Posted By: zokk using style phrases (midi) in style maker - 02/15/12 12:54 PM
Last night I got a question from my guitar player as he sat and helped get some chord progressions laid out for a song. At one point the bass made a nice change at a certain point. Played it again and it wasn't there. I told him that's because it didn't get picked again. I never really worried about that before. I've been doing the arrangements by myself for past 16 years and just get it laid out, get my ending together then make midi file, put it to cakewalk and edit further from there. Is there in depth info on how to work the style maker out there? I know you can weight the phrases, but to tell the truth never bothered with it before other than to change instruments.
Hey zokk - yes everytime you play the midi styles it's like shaking the die. However I have worked with the "weighting" of the midi segments in the midi styles. I'm not at my BIAB computer, but if you get into style creation, you will come to a page with tiny squares with numbers (the weight). You can actually audition each square, find the bass part you like and change the number of the weight from say 5 to 9. Be sure you rename the midi style of you will lose the default make up.

By the same token you can lessen the weight number of one (i.e. 5 to 1, or indeed erase it altogether) you don't like. Again - be sure you save as a new style name so that you don't lose the original.

Look under edit current style - I don't use it much anymore.

Ian
Posted By: jford Re: using style phrases (midi) in style maker - 02/15/12 03:16 PM
Careful changing it to 9. 9 is a special weighting which is used with style masks in order to specify the situations in which you want that pattern to play.

Best to up it to 8.
Posted By: zokk Re: using style phrases (midi) in style maker - 02/15/12 11:51 PM
Thanks both to Ian and John.I needed a little back up on it...the style mask might be something that we could use in this particular situation, now I have to get to computer with BIAB on it and check..masking option still available in 2011.5v ?
I stopped at 2010.5 I'm sure I can check it out on my version. Looks like Dr Gannon and crew are about to make improvements on the midi portion of the software and I'll be upgrading. Being able to use BIAB on my cell phone was not that appealing, oh yeah and I don't have a cell phone....
Be sure to rename your style so the original one does not get over-written.

Trax
Posted By: zokk Re: using style phrases (midi) in style maker - 02/16/12 11:59 PM
Yeah I'm careful about that I only over write when I change instruments I like accoustic bass....thanks Trax
© PG Music Forums