PG Music Home
Posted By: torhu Roland RD-700NX and drum kits - 03/11/12 03:37 PM
I'm trying to use BB with my RD-700NX, but it's very hit and miss when it comes to getting the drums to work. All drum kits need a bank change MSB of 86 or 120, LSB is zero. This is a bit of a pain with the default setup in BB. I've enabled sending bank changes, which works, but many styles will reset the drum kits to be a piano sound.

Is there a some setting I can change, instrument definition I can load, or something else that can make this work better?
Posted By: torhu Re: Roland RD-700NX and drum kits - 03/11/12 04:37 PM
I'm using BB 2007, by the way.
Posted By: Tim Lawrence Re: Roland RD-700NX and drum kits - 03/11/12 09:02 PM
torhu,

I have the same problem using the tyros1

One thing you can do is to uncheck Drum Patch Changes in midi options in the Preferences menu.
However that isn't a great solution either because some of the styles use other drum kits.

I hope someone has a better solution then mine.

Tim
Posted By: rharv Re: Roland RD-700NX and drum kits - 03/11/12 10:44 PM
You could try the RD700 patch map .. may be close enough

http://www.pgmusic.com/support_miscellaneous.htm
Posted By: torhu Re: Roland RD-700NX and drum kits - 03/12/12 02:37 PM
Thanks, I've found at least a temporary solution:
  • In Opt.->Preferences->MIDI Options disable Drum Patch Changes and Drum Bank Changes.
  • Select Drums in the instrument selector at the top of the main screen.
  • Click on the + button under Instrument to open the Patches on Higher Banks window.
  • Click on one of the patch names, doesn't matter which one.
  • You can now edit the Patch #, MSB Bank, and LSB Bank fields freely.
  • Click ok when you're done.

I guess the next step would be to find a way to remap the drum patches that the styles use to match the ones on the RD-700NX. Is Opt.->Preferences->Patch Map the place to start when doing this? Doesn't look like you can send bank changes that way, so I'm not sure.
Posted By: torhu Re: Roland RD-700NX and drum kits - 03/31/12 12:00 AM
Now it seems to work fine just letting BB send patch changes. I've reenabled "Drum patch changes", but left "Drum bank changes" off. This seems to work, at least with the 2 or 3 styles I've tried it with.

I'm not sure why it didn't work the first time around. Maybe I didn't enable sending GM reset, or maybe it wasn't correctly set to GM2 mode in the MIDI driver setup. The RD-700NX has got GM2 compatible drum patch numbers, and it switches correctly to the brush kit, etc.
© PG Music Forums