PG Music Home
Posted By: Musica1 BIAB '12 Newbie Questions - 03/22/12 08:32 AM
I have a few questions and thought someone might be able to help with the
first few questions. The last question (#4) is a little more complicated...

1. how do I get the count off beats to stop playing

2. how do I get the repeats out that are put in automatically

3. how do I generate (or change) only ONE bar of ONE track?

4. Using Oceans Oceans very slow New Age -- can I use Real Band Sounds rather than midi
AND part #2: how can I use this in a song that has 5 bars per phrase rather than the
standard 4 bars?

Thanks. I hope the questions are clear ('cause my thoughts aren't!) lol
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB '12 Newbie Questions - 03/22/12 10:10 AM
Welcome to the forum.

#1. Options, Preferences, Count-off/Metronome. At the bottom, change audible metronome to "None"

#2. There are three numbers that make the basic form, located to the right of the key and tempo boxes. If the third number is not 1, you will see repeats which start on the measure indicated by the first number, and end on the second.

#3. BIAB does not support this feature, although it has been requested. However, you can do it in RealBand, a program that was supplied free when you purchased BIAB. RealBand reads BIAB files.

I'll have to postpone #4 for now - no more time,

Don't forget to view the videos; it will give you a very good idea of what this program can do.
Posted By: Musica1 Re: BIAB '12 Newbie Questions - 03/23/12 02:39 AM
Thanks for the welcome!! Thanks for the answers!!

You mentioned viwing the videos -- but I'm not sure which to
view first -- I have all that were sent on the hard drive for
the 2012 version, but it's a bit overwhelming so I've been
doing a "trial and error" sort of learning approach.

So, can you recommend which one I should view first just so that
I have an overview?

Much appreciated,

Debb
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB '12 Newbie Questions - 03/23/12 02:47 AM
You're welcome, hope that helped you.

I'm the wrong person to ask about which video to watch first. I've used the program for about 20 years and that's long before there were any videos. I do look at the new ones that describe specific new features, so I know they are well done. Someone who recently purchased the program would be able to give you a good answer.

In the meantime, just flip a coin and watch one. You'll quickly see what's basically going on. And there is no substitute for diving right in and experimenting. Have fun!
Posted By: Musica1 Re: BIAB '12 Newbie Questions - 03/23/12 03:55 AM
Ok, I understand.

Right now I need only ONE song right away -- so I'm trying
to figure out how to do it without learning the whole
program.

However, I'm trying various styles to get a feel for what's
potentially available via BIAB.

Thanks,
Debb
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB '12 Newbie Questions - 03/23/12 04:08 AM
There are lots of BIAB songs out there. My collection alone is a few hundred Brazilian jazz tunes. There are groups on Yahoo, and websites with downloads. What song do you need?
Posted By: Tommyc Re: BIAB '12 Newbie Questions - 03/23/12 10:51 AM
Youtube is a great place to watch the short version on how to do anything in Band in a Box. Basic song writing is very simple, cause Biab does all the hard work. I start by a 4 bar 1 or 2 chord long song to audition a style so it loads fast. Take a step and ask a question here most get answered very quickly. If not search the forums (top of the page) everything has been answered here before. Welcome to the forums!
Posted By: Musica1 Re: BIAB '12 Newbie Questions - 03/25/12 10:16 PM
Quote:

There are lots of BIAB songs out there. My collection alone is a few hundred Brazilian jazz tunes. There are groups on Yahoo, and websites with downloads. What song do you need?

Can you give me some links to where I can find some good ones?

Thanks!
Debb
Posted By: Musica1 Re: BIAB '12 Newbie Questions - 03/25/12 10:19 PM
Quote:

Youtube is a great place to watch the short version on how to do anything in Band in a Box. Basic song writing is very simple, cause Biab does all the hard work. I start by a 4 bar 1 or 2 chord long song to audition a style so it loads fast. Take a step and ask a question here most get answered very quickly. If not search the forums (top of the page) everything has been answered here before. Welcome to the forums!

Ah, yes, the search bar. I'm just getting the hang of using this forums so thanks for the tip. Thanks!
Posted By: Danny C. Re: BIAB '12 Newbie Questions - 03/25/12 11:02 PM
Another welcome . . . what song do you need in a hurry? If you have not answered this already the odds are one of the members here will have the tune or know just where to get it.

Later,
Posted By: Tommyc Re: BIAB '12 Newbie Questions - 03/26/12 12:33 PM
Biab user group on Yahoo has songs sans melody!
Posted By: Musica1 Re: BIAB '12 Newbie Questions - 03/27/12 04:27 AM
Quote:

Another welcome . . . what song do you need in a hurry? If you have not answered this already the odds are one of the members here will have the tune or know just where to get it.

Later,

The song is I Believe -- the one sung by Elvis Presley who made it popular and another lesser known artist before him.

Actually, I have it in Bossa Nova form now so it's more palatable. I like jazz and swing music mostly so this song is pretty much out of my realm -- someone asked me to do it -- and some of the chords may be wrong but it was taken off sheet music. I'd enjoy seeing other people's versions though.

Thanks!

Debb
Posted By: Tommyc Re: BIAB '12 Newbie Questions - 03/27/12 10:36 AM
You might try search forums and see if someone may have posted it. Not many posts on cover tunes are around here because of the forum rules. Youtube is a great source for songs made with Biab, many are very instructive too. I love Jazz too!
Posted By: Danny C. Re: BIAB '12 Newbie Questions - 03/27/12 01:26 PM
Sorry I don't have this one but here is a link I Believe just enter those chords into BIAB and select the style you like and awaaaaaay ya go.

Hope this helps,
Posted By: Musica1 Re: BIAB '12 Newbie Questions - 03/29/12 12:16 AM
Quote:

Sorry I don't have this one but here is a link I Believe just enter those chords into BIAB and select the style you like and awaaaaaay ya go.

Hope this helps,

Thank you! That's the version I used -- but thought there might be another one because some of the chords sound a little "off".

I heard your Valentine song -- very nice!

Take care,
Debb
Posted By: Musica1 Re: BIAB '12 Newbie Questions - 03/29/12 12:18 AM
Quote:

You might try search forums and see if someone may have posted it. Not many posts on cover tunes are around here because of the forum rules. Youtube is a great source for songs made with Biab, many are very instructive too. I love Jazz too!

Thanks for the info, Tommy. Do most people mention having used BIAB as the backup?
If so, I'll search for BIAB songs.

Thanks,
Debb

P.S. I have three videos on YouTube now. Hope to add more.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: BIAB '12 Newbie Questions - 03/29/12 12:47 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Hope this helps,

Thank you! That's the version I used -- but thought there might be another one because some of the chords sound a little "off".

I heard your Valentine song -- very nice!

Take care,
Debb

Thanks

Try this version I Believe

Later,
Posted By: Musica1 Re: BIAB '12 Newbie Questions - 03/29/12 05:54 AM
I have another question but this is about using the BIAB forum.

How do I keep track of answers to questions I've posted. Is
there someplace to check when someone replies to one of
the messages you write?

Thanks,
Debb
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: BIAB '12 Newbie Questions - 03/29/12 01:13 PM
Debb,

When you write a post, you will see a box ADD THIS TOPIC TO MY FAVORITES. Tick that box and you will be informed of all future activity in that topic.
© PG Music Forums