PG Music Home
Posted By: leonard1962 Could BIAB write a hit song? - 04/14/12 05:15 PM
I'm just wondering if by chance BIAB would make up a melody that was so catchy it could be a hit? Has anyone ever made up a song with BIAB that just grabbed you and made you think it could be a hit? Who would get the credit if it did? Remember when you first heard a favorite song and you thought wow, listen to that melody and catch that riff it's so catchy.Can BIAB do that or is that just a pipe dream?
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? - 04/14/12 05:37 PM
Most people wouldn't advertise it if they did write their hit song with BIAB... but if I had a way to prove it, I would bet money that you have heard more than one hit song that originated with BIAB at one stage or another
Posted By: seeker Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? - 04/14/12 06:08 PM
You have to be patient using the generating capabilities, but with repeated trys and changes while doing this some very nice melodies do come up.
"Jethro's" rule number 87....soon as you hear a good melody, FREEZE all the tracks
and save under a unique name or version number.

Had a really fantastic melody, did not know about the freeze and blew it away.
Have fun!
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? - 04/14/12 08:17 PM
I think a good base of tracks could be made, and with a little tweaking somethin awesome could grow from it.

You have to write music, and not expect a software program to do it all.

I could have the best tools made, but still not build the best cabinets, unless i learn to use, and control those tools.
Posted By: jazaddict Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? - 04/15/12 02:22 AM
Yep...control your tool....good advice.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? - 04/15/12 02:23 AM
Quote:

...Could BIAB write a hit song?...

Nope, hit songs need artists that make the public want to buy stuff.

Kevin
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? - 04/15/12 11:29 AM
Under the "Infinite number of Monkeys" theory, conceivably. You can start to detect a certain sameness when you listen to several BIAB melodies one after another. I am pretty sure it'll never write "Body and Soul" again. That being said, I have heard a lot of show tunes and bossas with less "seeming" originality as BIAB.
Posted By: Tim Lawrence Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? - 04/18/12 10:31 AM
I don't know about BIAB writing a hit song, but there isn't a day goes by that I'm not inspired by BIAB to compose an original tune.
It's usually something I hear while trying out different styles that sparks the beginnings of an original melody and chord progression.
Sometimes even the lyrics as well.
I honestly don't think I would write near as many songs with out BIAB as my inspiration.

I've never tried the automatic composing features yet, but keep meaning to.
Especially the automatic composing of chord progressions.

Tim
Posted By: ROG Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? - 04/18/12 12:05 PM
Quote:

I would bet money that you have heard more than one hit song that originated with BIAB at one stage or another

+1. Tell it like it is Pat.

I think I might even have heard some which came straight from a casio sequence!

ROG.
Posted By: LawTunes Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? - 04/18/12 05:37 PM
Every song The LawTunes have ever released has been a hit*, and the vast majority of them were created with BIAB involved somewhere in the process.

And I agree with everything else that has been said here. The LawTunes love BIAB.

----------
*Admittedly, in some instances, the public and music award voters have been dilatory in their recognition of same.
Posted By: Encore Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? - 04/24/12 03:29 AM
Hi,

I just purchased band in a box to use for practicing jazz vocals (of a big variety, Jobim and other Brazilian composers, standards, some soulful pop tunes...)as well as possibly, for my mom, who is a longtime lounge singer (a good one) to use live if she decides to continue performing live. I live in Center City. If you would ever like to meet up to give me some band in a box tips or hear some music, let me know. I'd like to trade some tracks eventually.

If you have any of the Norton discs, I would love to hear a few tracks to see what they are like. I can't decide which to buy.

Marco
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? - 04/24/12 03:40 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Bob 'Notes' Norton has a very full website that contains audio demos of his styles. Go to www.nortonmusic.com

I can certainly attest to the quality of his work. You should also listen the RealTrack demos on this site.
Posted By: MikeK Re: Could BIAB write a hit song? - 04/24/12 04:08 AM
Hit song? I already did it with BIAB.... more than once.... one of them is being played on satellite, the other? Well - it's a hit, but not good enough for the agent I know to pick it up. So, I am not into the fame kind of thing anyhow. I love music. I don't give a darn if anyone dislikes it. As long as I do, it's the kind of music you can't buy in a shop.

Cheers,
Mike
© PG Music Forums