PG Music Home
Posted By: johnnyzell USB Samson Mic - 04/16/12 08:21 PM
Hi guys: Question: I am importing a wav file and I want to use a USB Samson mic to record onto a separate track. Please, how do I do that?
Posted By: Mac Re: USB Samson Mic - 04/16/12 09:37 PM
Band in a Box only has the one .wav Audio track.

RealBand, which ships with Band in a Box, is where you should move the project and then you can record multiple audio tracks on top of the existing song structure a lot easier.

--Mac
Posted By: johnnyzell Re: USB Samson Mic - 04/17/12 01:11 PM
Thanks Mac!
Posted By: WillM Re: USB Samson Mic - 04/17/12 10:32 PM
Hi Johnny,

I should add that with audio recording built into Windows, there is an inherent latency of around 50+ms using MME audio drivers - that means you'll sound late on all of your recordings - so if your Samson Mic comes with ASIO Audio Drivers you'll want to use those (ASIO Drivers have much lower latency). If it doesn't, check out ASIO4ALL - a free ASIO driver that works for many audio devices.

If you want to use ASIO4ALL, here are the steps to get it going.

1. Install ASIO4ALL:

Go to http://asio4all.com/
Click ASIO4ALL2.10 English to download it,
Then run it to install it

2. Install LoopBe1:

Go to http://nerds.de/en/download.html
Click Download setuploopbe1.exe (989 Kb) version 1.6 at the bottom of the page
Then run it to install it

3i. To configure Band in a Box to use ASIO4ALL:

Open Band in a Box, click Opt > MIDI Audio Driver Setup
Select LoopBe1 Virtual Output as your MIDI Output Driver.
Ensure "Use VST/DXi Synth" is checked.
Click OK to close this window.
Click Opt > MIDI Audio Driver Setup again, then click Audio settings in the bottom right.
Change Audio Driver Type to ASIO, and select ASIO4ALL v2 as your driver
Click the ASIO Driver Control Panel, click the wrench to enable advanced view, click the [+] to expand your device, and make sure that all relevant items are 'powered on' (the power icon is to the left of the play icon, to the left of each device name).
That should do it, click OK on everything, click Play to make sure you have sound and test recording.

3ii. To configure RealBand to use ASIO4ALL:

Click Options > Preferences > 6 - MIDI tab > MIDI Devices
Ensure that "Microsoft GS Wavetable" is not selected as a MIDI Output Driver.
Ensure that "Reroute to default VST DXi Synth" is checked, and that "Default VST/DXi Synth" is set to something oither than "None", like "CoyoteWT".
Click OK on this window, and click Yes if it asks anything like "You didn't select a ___ driver, OK to continue?".
Click on the 2-Audio tab, select ASIO as your Audio Driver Type, select ASIO4ALL v2 and check the settings as in the Band in a Box setup instructions above
Posted By: johnnyzell Re: USB Samson Mic - 04/18/12 10:58 PM
Wow......WILL! Thank you! A plethora of info. And guess what . . . I now have NO LATENCY! Wonderful, wonderful help. JZ
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: USB Samson Mic - 04/21/12 01:16 PM
I was having a lot of latency issues using my computer's optical out to my receiver / amp. Usually when doing audio, I use headphones to avoid bleed, and there was an enormous delay between my mike and headphones.

I found putting the phones into the mixer (which is the input) removed any latency. Even with Asio (and all digital/coax), it seems USB in traversing the bus out throughput the motherboard's RealTek sound chip will cause a lag.

Though I'm not found of the complexity or price (compared to a small mixer) the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra seems to do the best job for me. I have a Ketron SD4 which had really convincing acoustic sounds, so the ability to mix that MIDI with RealTracks (and audio) is essential. Being able to record all these sources to .WAV without unnatural acts is also a nice thing.

It took a lot of trial and error to get this set up to work this way. I know a lot about computers, but the M-Audio is more geared toward audio engineers (which I am not.)
© PG Music Forums