PG Music Home
Posted By: WienSam ACW problem - 04/21/12 04:35 PM
On importing a track into ACW, I get a note that states "Unanticipated host error" with a tick button below it that says 'OK@. There is no option but to click OK. The track then finishes loading, tempo and bars and beats are worked out BUT the 'Play' button is kind of greyed out and there is no response if you click on it
Posted By: rharv Re: ACW problem - 04/21/12 04:44 PM
What kind of track?
How do you import it into ACW?
RB or BiaB?
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: ACW problem - 04/21/12 04:58 PM
and what format of audio file are you importing?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ACW problem - 04/21/12 09:27 PM
Also, does the problem exist with other audio files? (BTW, what version of BIAB do you have?)
Posted By: WienSam Re: ACW problem - 04/22/12 02:37 AM
Sorry, I had a feeling I might not have given enough detail. Latest version fully updated of BIAB 2012 (349) and I get the file (either mp3 or wav) by opening RB then under <File> selecting <Launch Audio Chord Wizard...>
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: ACW problem - 04/22/12 02:48 AM
Hi Sam. So, you solved your 'no sound' problem earlier today?

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=360469&an=0&page=0#Post360469
Posted By: WienSam Re: ACW problem - 04/22/12 02:59 AM
No, Matt. Not yet. Just added more info over there
Posted By: WienSam Re: ACW problem - 04/22/12 04:02 AM
Now I seem to have found the solution to this and my other sound problem by changing from ASIO to MME. But why should this solve it?
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: ACW problem - 04/22/12 04:24 AM
Quote:

Now I seem to have found the solution to this and my other sound problem by changing from ASIO to MME. But why should this solve it?

its the dreaded ASIO gremlins. They get everybody at one time or another.

my theory is that ASIO stands for

Awwww
Shucks (or some other similar word)
It's

whereas MME stands for

Makin'
Music!!
Eeeeyahoooo!

or not. Maybe I dreamed it.
(Seems to work that way for a lot of people though...)
Posted By: rharv Re: ACW problem - 04/22/12 12:02 PM
"Now I seem to have found the solution to this and my other sound problem by changing from ASIO to MME. But why should this solve it? "

incorrect, corrupt, or incompatible ASIO driver .. or just wrong ASIO driver chosen.
At this point, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Posted By: WienSam Re: ACW problem - 04/22/12 04:18 PM
So should I just forget ASIO?
Posted By: Tommyc Re: ACW problem - 04/22/12 05:59 PM
Have you tried do not map this device in audio properties? Just a thought.
Posted By: Mac Re: ACW problem - 04/23/12 01:48 PM
Quote:

So should I just forget ASIO?

Yes.

There is NO difference in the sound quality.

Both ASIO and MME/WDM create the same kind of PCM Audio .wav files.

--Mac
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: ACW problem - 04/23/12 04:32 PM
Sam, the only reason to use ASIO is if you're playing/recording the sounds of a software midi synth in real time as you're listening to other tracks. ASIO reduces the latency (delay) you hear using MME. A hardware external synth has no latency. Unless you have a midi guitar or you're playing a midi keyboard through your PC and using a software synth, no need for ASIO.

Bob
Posted By: rharv Re: ACW problem - 04/24/12 11:14 PM
Here's the difference in a nutshell (as seen by rharv)

When you use ASIO, the idea is to play a keyboard and have the MIDI from a keyboard come into the computer and generate a softsynth. Or to record audio and use the realtime effects on the input. Example: sing into a mic and hear the reverb from a DXi or VST effect in real time.

If you don't use those features you don't need ASIO. You may want to, and on some systems these drivers actually work better, but this helps determine the need.

The reason: when the MIDI comes in (or the audio) the computer is tasked with creating a sound right away. The sooner the better! So ASIO runs in the system with much lower latency (delay) because it makes itself a priority. By doing this it adds stress to a system. Some systems and drivers are fine with this, some not so much.

MME, on the other hand, doesn't respond as quickly. This is because the audio buffer it uses is much larger, so it doesn't tax the system so much. It still creates the same sound, but just does it with less stress on the machine and a bigger buffer.

This buffer comes into play in many ways, but most are not needed by many users except in the above two examples.
Some others would include:
Response to a mixer interface (including the program mixer)
Milliseconds of time between hitting play and the file starting (buffer load)

Things that require immediate response.
Otherwise, they are indistinguishable in the end.
Posted By: WienSam Re: ACW problem - 04/26/12 08:19 AM
Thanks folks. No need for ASIO then
© PG Music Forums