PG Music Home
Posted By: Matti Rendering WAV - no sound - 04/22/12 06:58 PM
I have a PC, Windows XP, Korg 05/RW synth module, external loudspeakers and Terratec PHASE X24 external sound module. Everything is properly installed because I can hear the music made with BIAB through loudspeakers. I have also o MIDI keyboard and I can hear when I play that. So everything is ok for BIAB and MIDI.

When I render the WAV file it is always empty if I make it with my synth module. I was possible to make a wav using DXI synth but not with my Korg. I have read Pgmusics "Rendering to WAV by recording your Band-in-a-Box songs in real-time". I think that I make everything as is said there. The DXI is not marked on the MIDI options. I also have chosen LINE IN from the recording properties. The line out from my Korg goes to a blue connection on the back of my PC. I checked the WAV with power tracks audio window and it is totally empty.

Any ideas?
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: Rendering WAV - no sound - 04/22/12 07:13 PM
You need to make sure the blue connection is "Line In" and that "Line In" is selected in Windows "Sound" as your recording device. Also,in the BIAB MIDI/ Audio drivers dialog that under "Audio Settings" and then "Audio Drivers" that is selected as well. Do you have ASIO4All ??

The only MIDI that can be directly recorded by BIAB is VST/DXI. An external box will always have to route and be mixed in to the Audio stream.
Posted By: Mac Re: Rendering WAV - no sound - 04/23/12 01:43 PM
Hi Matti,

You are using a Hardware MIDI synth and that cannot do the "Direct Render" of its sounds because the sounds live outside of the domain of your host computer's CPU.

The CPU sends MIDI data outside of the PC to the Hardware Synth, the Synth makes the sounds using its internal CPU and then sends those sounds out of its Audio Outputs.

The way to obtain a .wav or other audio format file of a song that has your Hardware MIDI voices in it is to Record the performance from start to finish onto the available Audio track in BiaB. Of course, that means that the Audio L and R Line Outputs of the hardware synth must be connected to the Audio Line Inputs of your computer's sound device using properly shielded audio cables and the right adaptor plugs to fit at each end of the cables, plus your sound device's software Recording Mixer must be set to record from the Line Input. If you are also using RealDrums or a few Realtracks along with the MIDI, the soundcard's software recording mixer must be set to a "Stereo Mix" or "What U Hear" or some other manufactiurer's designation that allows the sound device to record both the Line Inputs and .wav outputs at the same time.

Automatic "Rendering" can only be done if one is using a DXi or VSTi software synthesizer plugin, where the sounds are inside the computer in the first place.

--Mac
Posted By: Matti Re: Rendering WAV - no sound - 04/23/12 02:50 PM
Thank you for your comments. I have no use for the DXI because the soft synths sounds (Roland) are quite poor. Maybe there are good commercial software synths nowadays but I have only these that came with BIAB.

I realised what was wrong with my gear. I tried first to connect the audio cables from my Korg to the PC. Then I realised that I must use the firewire. I connected the audio cables from the Korg to the Terratec external sound cards "audio in". And now the synth sounds go through the sound card and firewire cable to the PC. An audio files are created properly!
© PG Music Forums