PG Music Home
Posted By: mal12345 Microsoft sound mapper - 05/17/12 07:14 AM
Because I needed a vacant PCI slot, I have just replaced my old Audiophile 2496 PCI card with a USB M Audio Fast track pro .
I often use Adobe Audition 3 with BB 2012, and by using the MME drivers with the Audiophile in BB have never had any issues. Now when trying to record in Audition while BB is running, I get the error message in Audition "The Asio sample rate is not supported by one of the USB interfaces. Check your sync settings in control panel"

After a lot of experimenting in Adobe audition without success, I went to BB/Audio driver settings/Audio drivers and changed from Line 1/2 M audio Fast track to Microsoft sound mapper, and now all appears to be working well.
My question is... will my sound quality in BB 2012 be as good using the Microsoft sound mapper, rather than the Fast track Pro drivers?

thanks
Mal
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Microsoft sound mapper - 05/17/12 11:41 AM
Mal, check the following link to a Sound-on-Sound article about this exact issue. May work in BIAB but in RT it could be a problem. Here's the link: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul07/articles/qa0707_1.htm
Posted By: Mac Re: Microsoft sound mapper - 05/17/12 12:45 PM
This can happen also if your BB Audio settings are set to ASIO and "ASIO Always On" is checked.

Try setting BB Audio to "MME" for recording with Adobe. OR - select the computer's internal sound card device once ready to record to Adobe. It will all be in the digital domain if you set the sound deice's Recording Properties properly, so no loss for the Recording Dupe process. msoft sound mapper is very likely pointing to the internal sound device anyway.

--Mac
Posted By: mal12345 Re: Microsoft sound mapper - 05/18/12 04:10 AM
Thanks for the replies Mac and Mountainside

I got onto the Maudio website knowledge base and read

"Q: When I launch my recording application, I get an error message indicating The ASIO sample rate is not supported . . . Please check your sync settings in the Control Panel. How do I resolve this?

A: There is currently a known issue with the device drivres for M-Audio USB interfaces that affects multi-client operation. This error can occur when launching an ASIO application and another application, or in some cases the Windows operating system, is trying to access the device. If you are receiving this error message, quit your recording application, then go to the Windows Control Panel and select your computer's built-in sound card as the default playback and recording device. This will allow you to use your M-Audio device with your ASIO application.

When you would like to use your M-Audio device for non-ASIO applications (e.g. iTunes, Internet Audio, Windows Media Player, etc), you can set your M-Audio device as the default playback device from the WIndows Sound Control Panel."

The USB drivers therefore have problems so I returned the unit and bought a Roland Quad Capture. Hopefully this will allow for multiclient operation.

Let this be a warning for anyone considering buying an Maudio USB fast track pro!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Microsoft sound mapper - 05/18/12 04:39 AM
As I understand it, this issue could occur with any device where two audio programs are trying to access it via ASIO drivers. In that case, the solution is to use WDM (which is still called MME in BIAB) for one of the programs. It's a restriction of the ASIO standard, not M-Audio's equipment.

[Recently, I read something about multiple program support for ASIO, so what I'm saying may no longer be true.]
Posted By: mal12345 Re: Microsoft sound mapper - 05/18/12 06:42 AM
Hi Matt
In the past I was using MME in BB, and Asio in Adobe Audition with my Audiophile 2496, and all worked perfectly. The problem only started when I used the Fast Track USB interface, and the drivers for this particular interface have an issue with multi client operation (see my last post)It is a known fault with the device drivers.
Using MME in BB with the USB Fast track did not solve the issue...

thanks anyway
Posted By: Mac Re: Microsoft sound mapper - 05/18/12 12:22 PM
Thanks for reporting that issue with the quotes from the source, mal!

caveat emptor...

--Mac
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Microsoft sound mapper - 05/18/12 12:47 PM
In the process of building a PC recently I was warned off from the Fast Track by a couple of users due to related misbehavior.
Posted By: mal12345 Re: Microsoft sound mapper - 05/18/12 06:27 PM
I guess I should have titled this thread "Warning, faulty drivers in M Audio Fast Track Pro for multi client operation"

I'm surprised the unit is not taken off the market until the issue is solved

(keeping my fingers crossed that the Roland Quad capture , will work. Should be here in a few days)
© PG Music Forums