PG Music Home
Posted By: fantasyvn How to use a Yamaha keyboard with BIAB? - 06/26/12 08:11 PM
Dear all,

I'm planning to buy a new Yamaha keyboard, the EZ-220, which is released early this year. The main purpose is for my wife to learn to play.

However, is there any way to use the keyboard with BIAB? I have never tried to connect a keyboard to my computer, so I cannot imagine how to make use of it.

My sincere thanks,
Posted By: seeker Re: How to use a Yamaha keyboard with BIAB? - 06/26/12 10:36 PM
I have a Psr-3000 hooked up via Usb Host port on back of keyboard.
Does the board have the host port on back of it?
If so will guide you a bit more.
Posted By: yjoh Re: How to use a Yamaha keyboard with BIAB? - 06/27/12 11:16 AM
Hi there,

Most new keyboards these days have a USB port on the back panel. My Roland RD300GX connects to my laptop via a USB cable. The cable has a square connector on one end that goes into the keyboard and a standard looking USB connector for a computer USB port on the other.

It works fine for me in BIAB and PowerTracks. You'll need to go to the OPT menu and select MIDI/Audio driver set up, then select the keyboard as your MIDI input driver. Make sure your keyboard is sent to transmit (mine transmits on MIDI channel 1) and you should be set to go.

All the best.
Posted By: carkins Re: How to use a Yamaha keyboard with BIAB? - 06/27/12 04:01 PM
Hi fantasyvn
I have the Yamaha EZ200 which is very similar, may even be the same but a year older.

To hook into your computer the manual says you'll need to purchase the Yamaha UX16 midi to usb cable (about $45-$50).
There is also a Driver which comes with it and must be installed into your computer or BIAB won't recognize the Midi Signal.

You'll have to select this Driver in the BIAB Opt>Midi Audio Driver Setup window or in the Realband Options>Preferences>6 Mid tab>Midi Driver Settings

However I purchased the E-MU Systems EM8781 Xmidi 1x1 Tab USB MIDI Interface, 5.5ft cable for about $30 and it seems to work just fine.

There are 2 midi connectors labeled Midi Out (Black on the E-MU) and Midi In (Gray)and one usb end which goes into your computer.

Be sure you connect the Gray Midi In of the cable to the Midi Out of the keyboard as your computer is taking In the signal you are sending Out of the keyboard.

To help my old eyes in dim light I labeled the plugs and the top of the keyboard with red or green colored stickers or tape to be sure I plugged them in the right sockets since my keyboard isn't hooked up all the time.

The keyboard has some very impressive,to my ears,sounds and the Grand Piano is fantastic.
Like any new electronic equipment there is a hefty manual to wade through if you want to use all the features.

Liked the earlier keyboard versions where the sound bank was listed as buttons on the top and you pushed a button rather than entering a number in the menu, but that's technology for you.
I find it's handy to keep a pencil and pad handy to jot down your favorite sounds for quick reference.

The only thing I wish I had splurged for is the next higher model number with a Pitch Control Wheel for adding slides to the notes instead of having to manually do a Midi Edit in BIAB or Realband Piano Roll. Maybe next year.

Hope this helps.
Have a good one,
Carkins
© PG Music Forums