PG Music Home
Posted By: memyselfandus Pick up Measure - 07/30/12 08:24 PM
How do you add a Pick up Bar/Measure in Band in a Box?
Posted By: Shastastan Re: Pick up Measure - 07/30/12 08:52 PM
Place cursor at Bar 1
Click Edit Menu
Click Insert Bar
Put in your pickup notes in the Notation Edit Window and/or rests as needed.
Posted By: memyselfandus Re: Pick up Measure - 07/30/12 09:05 PM
Thanks!
Posted By: Mac Re: Pick up Measure - 07/30/12 09:55 PM
You can also just Record MIDI or manually insert notes before the first bar line as pickups.

I guess if you are trying to do it with RealTracks in the pickup, the method above, inserting a bar, might work.

--Mac
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Pick up Measure - 07/30/12 10:26 PM
Also, if you print using BIAB, you can specify that the first measure is a pick-up bar.
Posted By: northwestsaxone Re: Pick up Measure - 12/01/17 04:21 PM
This would add an extra bar. A pick up bar in music is not an extra bar, it is half of one bar, the other half is at the end. I know there was a way to add an actually pick up bar to the melody, but am now scratching my head!
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Pick up Measure - 12/01/17 05:01 PM
Welcome to Forum. OP was from over 5 years ago!
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Pick up Measure - 12/01/17 05:26 PM
HI

My thoughts are:
Insert bar at beginning , in that bar insert a half bar rest at beat 1 this leaves you half bar for pickup notes.
In last bar of song insert half bar rest at beat 3 making sure that last note is pre this rest.

Just my take
Mike
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Pick up Measure - 12/01/17 05:43 PM
Originally Posted By: northwestsaxone
This would add an extra bar. A pick up bar in music is not an extra bar, it is half of one bar, the other half is at the end. I know there was a way to add an actually pick up bar to the melody, but am now scratching my head!

What you are describing is how an anacrusis (pick up notes) works from a notational perspective.

From a performance perspective, all bars have will ultimately have the same number of beats with the exception of any lead-in notes played right at the beginning of the song.

The next time any pick up notes occur, they will be at the end of the bar prior to the start of a verse or chorus. That bar that contains these pick up notes will always have a full number of beats, though.

To answer your question fully, it's necessary to know whether you are using BIAB from a performance perspective or you are trying to notate a lead sheet.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: felonius_pryor Re: Pick up Measure - 11/20/18 10:47 AM
You have to go to the bar settings, set the number of beats this bar to 2 beats, and on the last measure of the song, do the same. Of course, this is based on an instance where the two pickup notes or chords in the pickup bar mirror the last two notes or chords in the song.
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: Pick up Measure - 11/20/18 08:26 PM
Originally Posted By: raymb1
Welcome to Forum. OP was from over 5 years ago!

Attached picture Heinz de kat.jpg
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Pick up Measure - 11/21/18 06:53 PM
doesn't affect me because normally I have a two bar introduction (or more!) for most songs and the vocal melody can 'pick up' before the verse starts. 'frame the song' for chorus length and there is usually a bar or two before the following choruses allowing the 'pick up' again. quite a lot of songs follow that format so unless you need to 'pick up' over silence the problem doesn't arise.

or have i missed your point entirely? smile
© PG Music Forums