PG Music Home
Posted By: Keith from Oz Upgrade Question - 08/07/12 03:44 AM
I've got 2012 on a hard drive, and I've just ordered 2012.5 on disk.
Can I/Should I update the hard drive? Or leave it as 2012?
Posted By: Mandolin Mike Re: Upgrade Question - 08/07/12 04:26 AM
I have a similar question. Except I have 2012 on a hard drive, then downloaded the updates from the Internet. I guess I could simply copy each of the installation exe's over to the USB drive, but could/should I run the exe's and point the installation over to the usb drive?
Posted By: johnnyo34 Re: Upgrade Question - 08/07/12 04:34 AM
I left my 2012 the way it was. what I did do is buy a separate HD 1TB, & copied my 2012 onto it, & updated it to 2012.5.
That way if something happens to my 1TB, I still have the 2012 intact.. Also with the 1TB, I have room to save tracks etc.. YMMV..
Posted By: av84fun Re: Upgrade Question - 08/07/12 06:18 AM
Quote:

I left my 2012 the way it was. what I did do is buy a separate HD 1TB, & copied my 2012 onto it, & updated it to 2012.5.
That way if something happens to my 1TB, I still have the 2012 intact.. Also with the 1TB, I have room to save tracks etc.. YMMV..

LOL... On a 1 TB drive, I think you could save every track of every song ever written...and then put a lot of the Library on Congress on there too!!*** (-:

I'm so old school, I went to a big box store to buy a 150 gig HD and the guy just laughed at me. 500 was the smallest they sold!!

(-:

***I lied. Just checked. The Library of Congress database absorbs 285 TB.
Posted By: Mac Re: Upgrade Question - 08/07/12 11:10 AM
Quote:

Your choice.

I generally keep the old version around for a few months, just in case, but after that I like to take the old drive and do a blanket delete and then copy the entire contents of the new drive to the old one and store it in another secret location for backups just in case. I also keep all of my song file folders on the old drive, so when I get the new version drive I copy those folders over to the new version and continue working.

--Mac
Posted By: silvertones Re: Upgrade Question - 08/07/12 12:32 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Your choice.

I generally keep the old version around for a few months, just in case, but after that I like to take the old drive and do a blanket delete and then copy the entire contents of the new drive to the old one and store it in another secret location for backups just in case. I also keep all of my song file folders on the old drive, so when I get the new version drive I copy those folders over to the new version and continue working.

--Mac

Exact same thing that I do as well.
1.Full install on 3 computers
2. two copies of the newest version on ext. HDs
3. 4 copies of all my tunes on 4 ext. HDs
I take no chances.
Posted By: Mac Re: Upgrade Question - 08/07/12 07:47 PM
John, if all of your compouters and hard drives are located at the same physical location, you are indeed still taking chances.

I have a list of my clients who performed faithful backups to all data, but all the backups were in the same location. That caught fire, or was hit by the big hurricane.

Dig?

--Mac
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Upgrade Question - 08/08/12 04:03 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Your choice.

--Mac

Thanks Mac. I'm curious as to why you wipe the old drive, and copy the contents of the new drive onto the old.
Can we not just perform an update?
Posted By: Mac Re: Upgrade Question - 08/08/12 10:39 AM
Notice that I mentioned that I also have all of my songfile folders for all of my work from beginning to present on that drive and wish to keep them.

Also, I have certain pgmusic accessories and addons that came with previous versions going as far back as twelve years or so and want to keep them. Those special Jeff Lorber Soloists that are extras, for example.

And then there's all my Personal Settings. Doing it this way preserves such and both the main copy and the backup run everything just the way I want to see it without pouring thru Preferences changing things one at a time.

If I try to do updates only, then I have to go back thru all those installation disks and locate the extra addons, as well as still having to copy my songfiles.

Wiping the drive and then copying from USB drive to USB drive does it all in one command.

I typically do that command at night and let the long copy happen while I'm sleeping, BTW. Easy-Peasy.

--Mac
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Upgrade Question - 08/09/12 01:01 AM
Makes a lot of sense. Thanks Mac.
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Upgrade Question - 08/23/12 11:27 AM
Quote:

Notice that I mentioned that I also have all of my songfile folders for all of my work from beginning to present on that drive and wish to keep them.

Also, I have certain pgmusic accessories and addons that came with previous versions going as far back as twelve years or so and want to keep them. Those special Jeff Lorber Soloists that are extras, for example.

And then there's all my Personal Settings. Doing it this way preserves such and both the main copy and the backup run everything just the way I want to see it without pouring thru Preferences changing things one at a time.

If I try to do updates only, then I have to go back thru all those installation disks and locate the extra addons, as well as still having to copy my songfiles.

Wiping the drive and then copying from USB drive to USB drive does it all in one command.

I typically do that command at night and let the long copy happen while I'm sleeping, BTW. Easy-Peasy.

--Mac

Hi Mac,
I took your advice and it worked like a charm. Only took about 1 to 1.5 hours to wipe the old drive & copy 2012.54 onto it.
Thanks for your advice.
© PG Music Forums