PG Music Home
So I bit the bullet and bought the UltraPlusDiddlyumpciousPak cause I knew I would need/want all the RealTracks. I started being impressed almost immediately!

Other online companies are very restrictive about how you can download your purchase but PG was very helpful and even encouraged using automated downloaders to make it easier for me (instead of easier on their servers)!

And, I was feeling pretty good about the fact that my purchase was on its way in the mail while I was already able to use everything once it downloaded! They even explain that you should download the program file first because it is smaller and that way you can use the program in basic mode while waiting for your RealTracks to download.

So I got everything downloaded and installed and started fiddling around with it. As some have pointed out the user interface takes a bit of getting used to but actually I found I was able to do basic stuff almost instantly. So no problems using the software.

And when I did hit a wall the user guide PDF, at over 600 pages, is very complete and easy to use so that's another plus.

I started entering chords for several songs I've written and then started experimenting with styles and again was simply blown away at how good the accompaniment sounds. And the level of control I have is simply amazing! I can change instruments on tracks, adjust volume, pan, reverb and a ton more. I can set bars to use certain tracks or not. I can even run instruments through effects processors. And I feel I have only scratched the surface of what this software can do!!!

OMG. I really cannot believe how cool this is! For much of my adult life I have been an avid PC gamer. Well, I don't see me playing many games any time in the near future. Now every time I sit down at the PC I want to fire up BIAB and compose something.

Thanks to PG Music for creating such an amazing program!
There you go, man. Told ya...

Now I'll say the same thing I've said to everybody, learn Real Band at the same time you're learning Biab. Spend an hour with one and an hour with the other one. You won't regret it.

Bob
Same here... I am in awe evertime I fire it up ... The only software EVER for me which was not a grudge purchase
My buddies are beginning to think that BIAB could be some secret religion as i sound like a PG Disciple with the way that i explain to anyone who cares to listen how wonderful and fun this is and how my tireless band buddies are always ready to play with me
Got so carries away that i forgot my real intention for the post was to support Jazmammal in the advise is to get your head around Realband as well. Took me a while but i get the most productivity from using both
well, I loaded up RealBand but switched back to BIAB and Reaper cause its more familiar to me but I'll keep trying RealBand too!

ya know, I'm prolly not gonna share too much about my new secret weapon! If folks wanna think I've improved my playing or that I can afford to hire session guys, I think I'm willing to let em think that!
+1 for RealBand. It really has to be one of the very best DAWs available and nothing else integrates so well with BiaB.

Also, +1 for PG Music - I've never heard anything but praise for their products and service.

ROG.
I’m glad you are very happy with BiaB!

My advice to you is as little different than the previous posts and that is if you are happy with Reaper then stick with it. Learn BiaB as well as you can and learn how to interact it with Reaper via the plug in mode. This should expedite your BiaB learning curve. If at a later date you want to learn another DAW then you have RB already on you system.

RB is an excellent DAW but if you are familiar and like another DAW why change?
There are a bunch of people here who only use Real Band. The main reason I use Biab is the ability to hear your song faster and audition styles quicker, but once I have a chord progression and style then saved in RB it loads instantly. There are some functions RB can do that no other DAW can do. I agree with Bob you won't regret it!
Quote:

My advice to you is as little different than the previous posts...

I agree with Mario - hehe
Quote:

ya know, I'm prolly not gonna share too much about my new secret weapon! If folks wanna think I've improved my playing or that I can afford to hire session guys, I think I'm willing to let em think that!

That is actually a wise thing to do, simply because most folks (and LOTS of musicians!) do not understand the full nature of the program at all, tending to think that it is merely "just recordings from a computer" etc.

But I have *always* been that way about Recordings. Just put it on and let it play, don't explain *anything* before or after and then see what the listeners have to say about it.

The wise Music Producer does not tip the hand.

Have Fun,

--Mac
I agree with Mac. Keep it under wraps until someone asks. I produced an album for a singer-songwriter this past spring using BIAB mostly for drums, bass, and piano. But on one song I used just 2 fingerpicked RT acoustic guitars (6 and 12-string) panned left and right. Totally exposed. They sound wonderful and I am sure most listeners think I played them. (I did play guitar and mandolin on most of the other songs.) I was going to replace them but realized I couldn't do any better or have them sound as good.
I use it live & NEVER tell anyone what it is. I always say"Oh I do all of the tracks either myself or with Real Musicians that have been paid to play the tracks for me."
First, really enjoy reading the excitement about PG products.
I still do get worked up when using.

Second I purchased Power Tracks Pro in 2005.
Hence had a bit of experience when using RB.

All of above comments are fully applicable.
But at least take a good run at RB.
JJJ,

I want to reiterate my welcome to you in this community. It's great to see the appreciation of and enthusiasm for this (IMO) underrated product. We all know how great it is; the rest of the world, not so much. More in a moment.

Your gamer's attitude may stand you in good stead with BIAB as you get under the hood to discover the wealth of features and degree of control. Not that there is any way to keep score, but I suspect that you will be digging around for a good while looking for all the "Easter eggs."

I echo the sentiment to get familiar with Real Band (somewhat ironically, since I haven't been a big user myself in the past). If nothing else it will let you work out extended BIAB arrangements in the PG environment before porting into your sequencer of choice.

I also recommend that you consider BIAB something of a secret weapon, keeping it under your hat unless asked. That goes doubly for musicians. The responses I have gotten to revealing the use of BIAB have been about equivalent to springing Amway or my religion on someone who really isn't interested, i.e., far less than positive. The comments above say much about this. Instead, just use it, enjoy it, get good at it, and amaze everyone.

I look forward to your new creations with great interest.

Richard
MarioD you said: Learn BiaB as well as you can and learn how to interact it with Reaper via the plug in mode. This should expedite your BiaB learning curve.

I too use Reaper but I can't get it to interact with BIAB. The only way I can use them together is to build my song then,render it THEN import it into Reaper. Is there an easier way? Sure is a pain to go through all that only to have to re-build and render again when you have to change something!

I guess I don't know how to use the plug in mode. Can you take me by the hand and walk me through it? I guess I'm kinda dumb about things like that.
Debby,

You should watch the video - Drag n Drop to DAW Tutorial
on this page http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.demos.htm

We show you how you can export tracks out of Band-in-a-Box and into Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs) such as RealBand, Reaper, & Sonar.
Debbie and JJJ, please remember Real Band directly opens Biab files and generates Real Tracks/Drums and all Biab midi parts. That's the big deal about working with it. The only thing with RB is it's slower at generating those parts than Biab is so we all develop our own way of using both programs to do what we need.

Bob
I'm pretty fond of Reaper myself I've messed with RealBand but I just can't seem to get into it. There are some features I really like about Realband but I need to really work on some projects with it to get more familiar. Reaper just seems to be be layed out better (IMHO) I'm sure there are many guys out there who can make Realband Rock! I'm not one of them. As far as BIAB, enjoy the ride my friend!
© PG Music Forums