PG Music Home
There are a couple of discussions on the forums about this so I emailed PG my questions and they were very helpful with answers (and they gave me permission to share their response).

--------------------------

Q. I am allowed to use BIAB songs with RealTracks in my music with no further compensation to anyone regardless of how I sell or distribute my music. is that correct?

A. The arrangements made by Band-in-a-Box and RealBand are yours, and your songs may be used freely as long as they don't infringe upon the intellectual property rights of others.

------

Q. I am allowed to use BIAB songs with RealTracks in my music without providing credits to anyone (PG, the artists who played the RealTracks, etc.) regardless of how I sell or distribute my music. is that correct? Am I allowed to credit PG Music/BIAB on my CD if I want to? If yes, are there any guidelines I should follow?

A. You are not required to credit PG Music or Band-in-a-Box on your CDs, but you can credit PG Music/Band-in-a-Box if you choose to. We don't have any specific guidelines for providing credits, though.

------

Q. Am I allowed to credit the artists who played the RealTracks on my CD if I want to?

A. We actually request that you do not credit any RealTracks or MIDI Soloist artists in order to maintain the artist's creative integrity.
Excellent, that nails down several items nicely.

"Good for You"
Thanks everyone for your input and clearing this up with PG Music directly.
Good job!

Thanks for posting and I appreciate the thought and effort.

But those questions have been covered here, maybe it seems, a few hundred times.
Quote:

But those questions have been covered here, maybe it seems, a few hundred times.

well, now its "a few hundred" plus one! no one in the conversations knew the answers so PG was kind enough to answer them! sheeeesh!
While the subject has indeed been covered before, I'm fairly certain the given number of times is grossly exaggerated...
Quote:

While the subject has indeed been covered before

bah, show me one conversation where this fact has been stated from PG before, "We actually request that you do not credit any RealTracks or MIDI Soloist artists". I searched before posting and did not find this.
J3,

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." Can't give you a link, but it has indeed been addressed in the past. Fact is, older posts seem to disappear after a while. Another fact is that we all need to be reminded of things from time to time. You might want to hang around a bit longer before dismissing the experience of seasoned users and forum members.

Respectfully,

Richard
Personally, when I read Firstbassman's post, I found myself wondering about the second statement. I thought that maybe it was a tongue-in-cheek comment that was meant to be humorous.

To my mind, these forums are about people helping one another. If a user of BIAB wants to know the answer to a question, then they should ask that question. It doesn't matter if the query has been asked 1,000 times before; quantity doesn't make it any less of a new question to the person who's asking.

My view is that any question that one doesn't know the answer to is a valid question. John asked, it was answered and he posted the answer for all to see. Good on him As it turns out, others were interested in those answers.

Just my view for what it's worth,
Noel
THANK YOU Noel!!!!! My feelings exactly! Dunno why anyone would want to make anything but a positive, supporting comment when someone has a question, gets the answer and then shares it on the forum.

And Richard, I'm certainly not "dismissing the experience of seasoned users and forum members". I just thought it would be helpful to post the official answer to a question I had and that, based on this thread and at least one other one, others had as well! Oh, and don't assume by my post count that I am not a seasoned individual with valuable experience and knowledge too!
John, I meant what I said in the most friendly way possible. I am glad that you seem to have taken it in that spirit.

Regarding experience, I wasn't going by post count, but by date of registration. I acknowledge that I may have made an incorrect assumption based on that and apologize. Some members have 'lurked' for years before signing up, or have been users without even knowing about the forums. (Me, for instance--user since 1995 or so.)

You have made a positive contribution since joining and I hope that continues.
Thanks Richard!

Quote:

You have made a positive contribution since joining and I hope that continues.

and same back atcha!
I for one, being bogged down on the steep slopes of BIAB's learning curve, appreciate any and all questions and answers. Whether asked once, twice or more; sometimes its how a poster words the question that eventually connects with the wires in my brain. I find the forum here to be the best learning expereince of all...better than books, manuals, videos etc. So for us "learners" keep the questions coming...and for the "teachers" keep on teachin!
The spirit of this forum is one of helping others out.

A lot of us have worked hard at that over the years.

And we have revisited MANY topics again and again as they come up.

And that is as it should be.

JohnJohnJohn, I meant no criticism towards you in what you quoted. The exact opposite was my intention, actually.

The old adage that the only stupid question is the one not asked applies here IMO.

Ask away, there are plenty of us around who will try our best to answer, we're not always able to give the correct or complete answer, but that is the advantage of our numbers, someone else can come along with other ideas on a thread that may shed more light, at the end of the thread it is generally all a good thing.

Happy US Thanksgiving!

--Mac
The OP contained the clearest, most consolidated version of PGM's policies on the matter that I have seen. Even as an old-timer, I still learned a new-to-me factoid that one is NOT supposed to credit RT artists.

So for me, this was helpful. Thanks JJJ.
© PG Music Forums