PG Music Home
Posted By: jimlucas Driver cannot do the requested conversion - 12/13/12 06:33 PM
When I click on the WAV button and choose the option to export mp3 as my format, it renders the file, but then up comes the following error box: Driver cannot do the requested conversion. Then, the yellow dialogue box from BIAB says the file has been saved to disk and size is 0 meg. I'm using BIAB 2013 (build 365).
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Driver cannot do the requested conversion - 12/13/12 08:06 PM
Hi Jim,

If it's any help, I prefer to use third party software to convert to mp3. My thoughts are that this give me greater control over the quality of the final product. There are heaps of freeware programs available to do such conversions. The link below explains how I go about it use a program called "Free Audio Converter".

... link to converting to mp3 using FreAc.

I've used variable bit rate (VBR). If you activate CBR instead of VBR, then constant bitrates will be produced (for example, 128 kbps at 44.1 kHz).

Hope this helps,
Noel

P.S. If you choose to install FreAc (or any freeware for that matter), watch out for the free toolbars, etc., that often accompany these installations. To stop any unwanted installations, choose a "Custom Install" (if available) and then deselect anything that looks outside the program (e.g. Ask.com toolbar).
Same thing on my end using build 365. Got past the point of rendering and then a popup come up that asks me to select an output audio format. I chose the name of the file and the default format of MPEG Layer-3 and the attributes of 56 kBit/s 22,500 Hz, Stereo 6kbs/sec. I click OK and it comes up with another popup window saying Driver Cannot cannot do the requester conversion. I wound up with a wav file that plays OK but that is not what I asked for. I asked for an MP3 file.

Using Windows 7 and standard MME for my audio settings. I actually noticed this when the 2013 update came out but did not post my concern.

In addition, I tried this on my Windows 8 HP Laptop and got the same thing using ASIO4All

I even went as far as putting the Lame encoder in my BB directory with no difference.

Also, why is 56K at 22,500 Hz the only choice I have for MP3 output. Not even CD quality.

WMA works OK
MP4 works OK
M4A works OK
MP3 does not work for me at all.
Hi Noel,

thanks. Yes, I use Audacity and have done so for quite a while. But it would be nice to have the option to render directly to mp3.
Posted By: jford Re: Driver cannot do the requested conversion - 12/14/12 12:45 PM
I would download the K-Lite Codec Pack and install it, then try again. When you create MP3 files in BIAB, it uses Windows internal capabilities, which are limited to low resolution MP3. K-Lite installs many difference Codecs, to include the ACM versions (which updates Windows internal ripping capabilities).

Just a thought.
Posted By: MikeK Re: Driver cannot do the requested conversion - 12/14/12 01:18 PM
Quote:

I would download the K-Lite Codec Pack and install it, then try again. When you create MP3 files in BIAB, it uses Windows internal capabilities, which are limited to low resolution MP3. K-Lite installs many difference Codecs, to include the ACM versions (which updates Windows internal ripping capabilities).

Just a thought.

And a good one. I was actually about to ask the same question regarding MP3 bit rates within BIAB.

Thanks a bunch!

Mike
I installed the K-lite codec packs (both 32 bit and 64 bit) and now the MP3 export works like a champ. That fixed the problem. Not only that, but all the sampling and bit rate choices are now available.

Good fix.
Posted By: MikeK Re: Driver cannot do the requested conversion - 12/14/12 09:34 PM
I'm having issues... which K-lite do I choose... I seem to get nothing but errors in the registry. Also, the link to download redirects me to download a PDF creator... Bit lost here (might be age related - LOL!).

Thanks for any input on this

Mike
Posted By: jford Re: Driver cannot do the requested conversion - 12/14/12 10:03 PM
You need to look very carefully in the text to download the correct files. There are lots of advertisement files on the site, so that's why you got to PDF Creator.

I downloaded and installed the Mega and 64-bit, which pretty much gives me everything (why not, it's free). What's nice is that it also includes as nice, basic video player that handles almost any type of video you throw at it.
Posted By: MikeK Re: Driver cannot do the requested conversion - 12/14/12 10:17 PM
Thanks very much, John! Appreciate it very much!

Mike
I have the same problem but the other way around:
It occurs when trying to open an MP3 file to view the chords on the Audio Chord Wizard
Posted By: rharv Re: Driver cannot do the requested conversion - 09/21/14 10:58 PM
This should work natively.
The same codec install mentioned above may solve it, but this should just 'work'. What OS are you using?
I downloaded the K-Lite codec pack but it came with all sorts of garbage add-ons that I declined until it got to the end of the download and the final garbage add on was one that if you said no to it, that was the end of the ability to get the package. I also tried Audacity, but it couldn't convert the file and neither could FreAc.

I don't understand why they work for others, but not for me. I'm not a computer rookie, I've been into computers for more than 10 yrs. I've never encountered a problem like this. I guess the next file of preference will have to be either .wma or .wav.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Driver cannot do the requested conversion - 12/21/14 07:17 PM
rsmith,

I use FreAc regularly and successfully. It's a great piece of audio conversion software.

To get FreAc to work, simply load the uncompressed WAV file that was created in BIAB/RB. FreAc will then convert that WAV to whatever other audio format you'd like.

From my experiemce, the uncompressed WAV format is always the best place to start if one is going to convert to one of the compressed audio formats.

Hope this helps,
Noel
© PG Music Forums