PG Music Home
Posted By: dpresley HELP - Can't Hear Midi Sound Live With 2013 - 12/24/12 06:38 PM
I go back to version one but can't get BIAB to produce sound from my external keyboard. All the gear works in Sonar and I can record midi into BIAB but can't hear anything while recording. There must be a simple solution but am clueless. How can I make BIAB produce the sound live and while recording? I need this to write counter harmonies using Singers Unlimited. Not hearing it live makes it impossible.

I would appreciate any ideas.
Posted By: Mac Re: HELP - Can't Hear Midi Sound Live With 2013 - 12/24/12 08:23 PM
Hi,

This all depends upon what you are using for the MIDI synth.

The MIDI Input goes to the Thru channel in BiaB, but, depending upon what type of MIDI synth you have in use, hearing it in realtime may depend upon that little checkbox in the bb MIDI/Audio settings window, "Route MIDI Thru to MIDI driver". This can cause incredibly long latencies if the MIDI driver is the puter's internal Microsoft Synth, though. UNchecking that and using ASIO sound drivers or ASIO4ALL convertor drivers can allow you to play a DXi synth in realtime and hear it with low latency.

Does your keyboard have its own built in hardware MIDI synth? This would be great, as the latency would be near to zero.

So, what are you trying to use for the MIDI synth in BiaB?

Is it the same as the one you use in SONAR?

--Mac
Hi.

Also check whether you have the midi channel set to 5 for your instrument as this is the thru channel default setting in BIAB.

I also had some trouble getting mine to work and found that if I stop the song and restart it, that sometimes cures it.

I have intermittent problems with getting thru to work even though the settings are correct (I think) but can't always reproduce the fault so haven't been able to report it yet.

Happy hols.
Mike.
Thanks to Mac and Mike. Good suggestions.

I believe I have everything set correctly. and I can now hear my sound while recording. It is unfortunate that the sound is only audible while recording. Does anyone know if this is normal? If this is normal then it should be fixed so that you can audition sound before recording. I imagine that if I hook up a keyboard or hardware synth it will work. Since all this works perfectly in Sonar I don't understand why it doesn't function properly in BIAB.

Maybe someone at PG can clarify?
Quote:

?.......
I believe I have everything set correctly. and I can now hear my sound while recording. It is unfortunate that the sound is only audible while recording. Does anyone know if this is normal?........

Check my post in the following thread. -Ron

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.p...true#Post384850
Posted By: Mac Re: HELP - Can't Hear Midi Sound Live With 2013 - 12/25/12 09:24 PM
When using certain softsynths, I have found that when I first open BB, I cannot hear my MIDI keyboard.

I must first hit Play button and start a song. After that, I can hear the MIDI keyboard for the rest of that session whether there is a song playing or not.

Give that a try,

--Mac
Quote:

When using certain softsynths, I have found that when I first open BB, I cannot hear my MIDI keyboard.

I must first hit Play button and start a song. After that, I can hear the MIDI keyboard for the rest of that session whether there is a song playing or not.

Give that a try,

--Mac

YEP and make sure "ASIO always on" is checked as well.
Thanks to rkl122 and all for your help. Asio always on seems to make it work consistently. This is by far the best tech forum anywhere!

Thanks again.
© PG Music Forums