PG Music Home
Posted By: sixchannel How to input Cadd9 and Dsus2/4 - 01/14/13 10:21 AM
I'm not a trained musician so am stuck on trying to input 2 chords from sheet music.
One is Cadd9 and on input I get Cadd2. Is that the same? what does thge "add" bit mean? Is it the same as C9?
Also what is Dsus2/4? Is that some sort of option - either will do?
For those who know these things- please help.
Ian
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: How to input Cadd9 and Dsus2/4 - 01/14/13 11:04 AM
Hi Ian
The C Add 9 means play a C chord triad which would consist of the notes C(1st), E(3rd), G(5th), and C(8th) but add a 9th - the next note to the top C, which would be D, so the ascending chord notes would be C, E, G, and D.
Often a C9 would be played as a C7,9 which would play as C, E G, B(b), D

The Dsus2 or Dsus4 is a suspended chord. It is a little different. DSus2 essentially means drop the 3rd and instead play the second note of the chord instead of the 3rd note. In a D Major Chord, the triad notes are D, F#, A (and D). A Dsus2 would be D, E, A, D. DSus4 would mean drop (suspend) the 5th and play a 4th, therefore: D, F#, G, D (or possibly just the notes D, G, D).

The musical intention of suspended chords it to make them sound like they want to (and usually do) resolve back to the normal triad. In other words, a CSus4 often resolves into a C chord (or similar variations).

In jazz, it's not illegal to use either variation of Csus2 or Csus9. This is because in jazz you can usually throw away the rule book (ha ha). Probably you can find useful information in a book entitled Rudiments of Music. I still use this book today, many years after my academic training (classical piano).

In summary Ian, you are actually on the right track.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: How to input Cadd9 and Dsus2/4 - 01/14/13 11:12 AM
Quote:

...DSus4 would mean drop (suspend) the 5th and play a 4th, ...

I believe in both cases (Dsus2 and Dsus4), the 3rd is always dropped (not the 5th).

Quote:

One is Cadd9 and on input I get Cadd2.

Since the "D" is the 2nd and the 9th in a C major scale, I guess you could say they are the same (even if they are not --ha, ha). But it seems that in BIAB, this is the best you can do.

Posted By: sixchannel Re: How to input Cadd9 and Dsus2/4 - 01/14/13 01:26 PM
Hi guys
that works for both - many thanks
Ian
Posted By: FirstBassman Re: How to input Cadd9 and Dsus2/4 - 01/15/13 07:19 PM
Quote:

I believe in both cases (Dsus2 and Dsus4), the 3rd is always dropped (not the 5th).

Correct.

A "suspended" chord (I hate that term by the way) is neither major or minor because it has no third.

The '2' or the '4' replaces the third.

To the O/P:

The greatest musician I've ever met (pictured at left) gave me the best musical advice I ever got: Learn harmony and chord theory..
© PG Music Forums