PG Music Home
Posted By: joden Using frozen songs on a 2nd pc - 05/23/13 02:49 AM
I have a laptop with limited space, and was wondering if songs created on the desktop using RT's and then frozen, could be played and manipulated by Conductor on the laptop, if only BIAB is installed on the lappy with no realtracks installed?

Thanks
Posted By: DrDan Re: Using frozen songs on a 2nd pc - 05/23/13 11:42 AM
I can't image how this could work as Frozen only saves the RT arrangements. Each machine would still need access to the actual RTs.
Posted By: Rachael Re: Using frozen songs on a 2nd pc - 05/23/13 11:45 AM
If the RTs are not on the laptop, a frozen song will not play the RT parts. When freezing, the arrangement of the song or part is frozen.

You may look at making a Performance track(s). This creates an audio of the track(s) which can be played on another BIAB machine regardless of the presence of RTs. Performance tracks can be saved in WMA format which should not take up much space.

R
Posted By: Mac Re: Using frozen songs on a 2nd pc - 05/23/13 01:19 PM
I solve the problem by using the USB drive connected to the laptop with limited disk space.

A couple of pieces of that tape-on hook and loop "velcro" type fastener strips hold the little USB drive to the back of the laptop screen, making for a compact package that also protects the drive from knocking around and makes for easy packup and travel.

Added advantage is that all my BB songfiles and everything else needed to use BB can be moved to any other machine by simply plugging the usb drive in, allowing for work with the desktop, another laptop, etc. - and all my songfiles are always up to date in every instance, because all work takes place on the one BB install.

--Mac
Posted By: joden Re: Using frozen songs on a 2nd pc - 05/23/13 07:33 PM
Thanks Rachael and Mac..

Mac, to make sure I understand you correctly, if I install the entire BIAB system (incl program files) to a USB hard drive, can it actually run from it? IE with no installation to the C: Programs drive at all?

Dennis
Posted By: Mac Re: Using frozen songs on a 2nd pc - 05/23/13 10:24 PM
Originally Posted By: joden
Thanks Rachael and Mac..

Mac, to make sure I understand you correctly, if I install the entire BIAB system (incl program files) to a USB hard drive, can it actually run from it? IE with no installation to the C: Programs drive at all?

Dennis

Either you have a quite old version of BB, or you did not order it to come on the USB drive.

Yes, you can copy everything in the BB folder over to a BB folder and run it from there standalone.

However, the pc must have the PGMusic Fonts and the PGMusic DXi plugins installed to the c: drive in order to see the music notation or use any plugins. If you use a DXi MIDI synth, it will also be necessary to install that to C as well. The good news is none of this takes up much disk space.

This can be done easily enough by running the BB Installer.exe file on the c: drive and selecting the option given to only install the fontsw and plugins, or, what I do, install just the main BB program, fonts and plugins. In that manner, you can run BB from the C drive and using the RealTracks and RealDrums Prefs, tell it to point to that USB drive folders to find the Real Instruments when loading a song.

--Mac
Posted By: joden Re: Using frozen songs on a 2nd pc - 05/23/13 10:27 PM
Thanks Mac, no its the 2013 Everything Pak - via download.

Cheers

Dennis
Posted By: Mac Re: Using frozen songs on a 2nd pc - 05/23/13 11:33 PM
Originally Posted By: joden
Thanks Mac, no its the 2013 Everything Pak - via download.

Cheers

Dennis

Install all the installer files to the usb drive.

When that's done, run the main Installer to install a working bb and directory onto the hard drive.

Run the Installer program again, but this time direct it to c: drive and select the option to install only the fonts and dx plugins, your choice as to install bb alone without realtracks/realdrums to c as well. You don't have to install bb to the c drive, it can run from the usb drive install. [b[If you have already been running BB from that c drive, skip this step. [/b]

If you also use a DXi synth, install that to c drive as well.

Be sure to direct bb's realtracks and realdrums to look for the real instruments on the usb drive, then proceed to test operation.

Have fun,

--Mac
Posted By: joden Re: Using frozen songs on a 2nd pc - 05/23/13 11:37 PM
Thanks Mac..

Dennis
© PG Music Forums