PG Music Home
Posted By: Bonnybrook Standard sheet music size charts - 06/14/13 11:46 AM
Hi, still climbing the dunce ladder here but making progress. I've been asked by a producer to send a composition on standard sheet music size charts. I'm guessing that is the size BIAB offers automatically from Notation-Print, but can someone confirm that? Also whether there is a standard number of staves in these standard charts. Thanks so much.

Chris
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Standard sheet music size charts - 06/14/13 01:48 PM
Hi Chris,

Depending on where you live, the standard size would be 'letter' or A4 (that is, 'printer' size). there is no set number of staves per page. I usually go with 8 or 9 (with lyrics below). I find that it's good to have a little space between staves because it makes the music easier to read.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Standard sheet music size charts - 06/14/13 02:00 PM
Chris:

I have a few dozen songs for which I've purchases sheet music over the years. I just measured them and they are all 9" x 12".

That's an awkward size, as most "home" inkjet printers are set up for "standard" letter-size (8-1/2" x 11") or legal-size (8-1/2" x 14") or something smaller.

In BIAB when I go to File > Print Songs - Chords/ Melody, then click the Setup Printer button, the Print Setup window that opens shows, as a default, my normal inkjet printer that is connected to my PC.

In the Paper > Size dropdown there is listed many different sizes. Mine doesn't show a "9 x 12" (unless it's called something obscure or is listed in metric).

I would contact your producer and ask for specific measurements.

Good luck!
LLOYD S
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Standard sheet music size charts - 06/14/13 02:16 PM
The size larger than 'normal' 8.5 x 11" is probably done by publishing companies to discourage copying.

I never exceed 11 staves per page for instrumental-only music.
Posted By: Mac Re: Standard sheet music size charts - 06/14/13 02:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Bonnybrook
Hi, still climbing the dunce ladder here but making progress. I've been asked by a producer to send a composition on standard sheet music size charts. I'm guessing that is the size BIAB offers automatically from Notation-Print, but can someone confirm that? Also whether there is a standard number of staves in these standard charts. Thanks so much.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Just to be certain, the "LeadSheet" view and printing is where you would want to do this.

--Mac
Posted By: Bonnybrook Re: Standard sheet music size charts - 06/14/13 11:56 PM
Noel, Lloyd, Matt and Mac, thanks for generously helping me out there. Very useful answers. All best to all of you.
© PG Music Forums