PG Music Home
Posted By: Rhea BIAB licencing agreement - 06/25/13 05:56 AM
I use BIAB in my teaching studio now and am thinkinf of developing an ipad app to support my teaching. Does my licence agreement allow me to include BIAB backing tracks in ipad apps that might go on to be sold?

BTW, Can't find a copy of said licence agreement online or in my version of BIAB.

Thanks
Rhea
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: BIAB licencing agreement - 06/25/13 06:36 AM
As far as I know you are free to use any song or backing track you create in BIAB in any way you choose including selling them. Here is what the FAQ (http://www.pgmusic.com/salesfaq1.htm#22) says,

22. Are songs that I create with Band-in-a-Box copyrighted?
The arrangements made by Band-in-a-Box are yours, and your songs may be used freely as long as they don't infringe upon the intellectual property rights of others.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB licencing agreement - 06/25/13 07:20 AM
Hi Rhea,

As John has said, anything you create with BIAB is yours to use freely.

Noel
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB licencing agreement - 06/25/13 07:36 AM
Any original music you make in BIAB is fine. You would not want to use BIAB to duplicate the melodies or hooks of music composed by others when that music is still under protection from copyright. If the backing tracks you mention have no melodies or recognizable hooks, you are OK.
Posted By: Rhea Re: BIAB licencing agreement - 07/01/13 03:49 AM
Thanks for you replies, guys. That's excellent news. No...I'm not going to referring to any existing music. It's just that I use BIAB for all the 'other' instruments!
Posted By: Ryszard Re: BIAB licencing agreement - 07/02/13 05:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Rhea
I use BIAB for all the 'other' instruments!

And that, my friend, is the exact purpose of the exercise! Welcome to the community. We look forward to seeing you grow and learn with BIAB. Please feel free to return with questions and comments.

Richard
Posted By: lovecolour Re: BIAB licencing agreement - 04/22/14 03:44 PM
Does that include mixing enough soloists parts to make an instrumental? That is, would the performer of the original soloist rack have intellectual property rights on that performance if used as a lead instrument?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB licencing agreement - 04/22/14 04:40 PM
Welcome to the forum, or at least your first post. If you mean the BIAB soloists, i.e. the RealTracks identified as soloists, you may use these freely in your mixes.
Posted By: DrDan Re: BIAB licencing agreement - 04/22/14 04:52 PM
Came upon a recent occurrence where a guy on the internet wanted a piano added to his original piece as a collaboration. So as an experiment I added a RT to accompany his tracks. He not only loved it and used it but he also credited Jazzmandan as the Piano player in the song. I subsequently explained the situation, but he didn't care. I think he went out and bought BIAB. Music is indeed the grand illusion.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB licencing agreement - 04/22/14 05:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Rhea
I ... am thinking of developing an ipad app to support my teaching. Does my licence agreement allow me to include BIAB backing tracks in ipad apps that might go on to be sold?

Thanks
Rhea

I want to go back to the original question. The answers above are correct according to the advice PG Music has given us about using BIAB in one of your own compositions. Is that what you were asking, though?

I'm a programmer, so I may be looking at this differently. Do you want to write an app that allows someone to select BIAB RealTrack(s) within YOUR app? That seems to me to be a definite No. BIAB already has two of their own apps. Are you familiar with those?
© PG Music Forums