PG Music Home
Seasons Greetings!

Now that BIAB 2009 is out, I would first like to thank Peter and Company for a great product and some great new features.......
What I´d like to know is what YOU would like to see in next years update.
I know this should be in the wishlist thread, however this topic always seems to end up here, so I thought I would post here as well. Here are my suggestions:
1. 960 PPQ
2. Support for multiple VSTs, Rewire, Music XML
3. Upgrades to the GUI and Notation (maybe more like Garageband, etc)
4. RT & RD volumes: Funk Keyboards, Brass sections (Chicago, EW&F, etc) Vocals (oohhs, ahhhs, etc) French Horns and Strings (for pop Ballads)
5. RT Soloists: Be-Bop, Funky Keys, horns, Bossa Guitar.

And last but not least, 2 icons on the desktop taking you for live help to either Andrew at PG music or Mac (no, not the apple Mac, OUR Mac)

Merry Christmas to all, as Peter says ¨Have Fun¨!
Ed
Acapulco
User programmable keyboard hotkeys.Especially for transport.Example jus one key to go back the number of bars that the user chooses.
Funk Horn sections and soloists.
Realtracks for contemporary Jazz and Smooth jazz
Is there any truth to the rumor that while Our Mac was in the hospital them may have stolen a few cells and be working on cloning a few copies of him for us?
Why do you think the Audio Chord Wizard works better? On topic, I renew my call for more than 256 bars in BIAB and multiple undos, undoing everything (there are simply too many small actions that don't show up as something you can undo).
Posted By: Mac Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 12/15/08 12:37 AM
Quote:

Is there any truth to the rumor that while Our Mac was in the hospital them may have stolen a few cells and be working on cloning a few copies of him for us?

While the surgeon did take some cells for cloning, the lab reported back that after 48 hours of gestation in the incubator oven, the petrie dishes were overrun with a strange smelling black goo that appeared to throb on the backbeat at metronome 140, occasionally bumping up to 320.

At the same time, really weird sounding Bop lines were reported to be heard emanating from the cultures by the observers.

The Center for Disease Control recommended destroying all samples by means of Plasma Destruction.

--Mac
Posted By: Fifer Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 12/15/08 08:01 PM
Hey - I paid nearly $1000 for that plasma - what am I going to watch CSI on now????

Nice to see you back, Mac

Brian
Plasma soul -- anemia drink.
Posted By: Mac Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 12/16/08 03:13 PM
A Plasma Destroyer is a real device. It is a machine that can destroy any substance by converting it down to the Molecular or even Elemental level using nothing more than rather large amounts of power.

The chamber itself is not all that large on most of 'em, but the associated support electronics, plumbing and cooling and such typically takes up two large buildings or so.

BZZZZZZZZDDDDDFFFFTT!

And if you are brave enough to look through the darkened quartz watch window from behind your welding mask, you can see the bright blue light from the Plasma doin' its thing.

Can totally destroy any substance, Hazmat, Biochem, certain types of Alpha emitting Nuclear, you name it, renders it down to its base elements. As long as the amount doesn't overfill the Plasma Chamber anyway. You may have to invest in a few other things in order to break your sample up into smaller pieces safely and not endanger yourself or your neighbors, but hey.

Last year the US Navy sold one off surplus at auction, just think, you can be the first on your block to own one. Just be sure that you can supply the necessary 3-phase power at the 440VAC level before purchase, the wall wart for this toy is the other building...

--Mac
More Organ RealTracks and AutoTune
Posted By: Donsta Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 12/16/08 11:37 PM
Don Alias style swing conga RealTracks

Solo Piano arranger similar to the way you can generate solo guitar melodies.

Generate shell voicings to chord progressions for piano and/or guitar
The ability to render the real drums kit into separate wave files or wma files so that each drum kit piece can be individually mixed inside a sequencer. I know that some of you have argued that it would increase the size of the overall real_drums files but here is my pitch:

There are many of us who use BIAB for music production purposes and as such, we export the files from BIAB only to import them into our sequencers of choice (protools, logic, nuendo etc...). As you all know, you can't generate a 'great' mix with only a stereo drum track although you can achieve a decent mix, most of us are after a great one. In order to truly shape the song, being able to mix the individual drum kits is crucial.

I am a music producer as well as a recording artist and trust me when I say that similar folks would be flocking to BIAB if this type of post-production control would be made available.

Thanks for considering.
Posted By: MartinB Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 12/18/08 10:48 PM
Quote:

Solo Piano arranger

Seconded ...

and don't forget the eternal entry into this list -> *** compound time signature support ***
I would love to see a Real Tracks Cajun Pack.

Also Jazz Fiddle, and Jazz Mandolin, and jazz Accordian would be nice.

World instruments would be neat too like Brazilian Choro RealTracks with Cavoquino and Brazillian mandolin etc.

Other world instruments like Bagpipes would be cool as well.
Oh..and I almost forgot..Dixieland style 4 string banjo RealTracks would be great.
An Elvis impersonator button...
Posted By: MarioD Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 12/19/08 02:18 AM
Quote:

An Elvis impersonator button...

If that’s not possible how about a button that would make my voice sound acceptable
I'd like to see a "Help" button that looks like this:

I'm running & hiding.......................
Posted By: Mac Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 12/19/08 05:00 PM
ROFLOL -- I'll go fer that if Peter can add a Paypal connect to my account first.

How about a dollah per question?

That's cheap.

--Mac
Posted By: MikeK Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 12/19/08 05:43 PM
That's too good!!!! ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, Mac - a buck??? Not too bad considering what others get paid...

Anyway, I support Keith's idea! LOL!
I just want them to solve the timing issues with many of the VSTi's in RB and PTPA. This would solve one of the problems above, I use jamstix a lot for drums along with RDs, with JS you can output the drums on 8 channels. Nice for mixing them.

I also liked the idea of some RTs with oohs and aahs that would be sweet. More of what has come out will be nice as well. The RTs are getting better all the time. With better VST support and a few more RTs you could make almost anything. The other thing i would like to see done with PTPA, and RB is the same thing i would like to see in cakewalk products, is to see an FX bin on the master strip so you can place a master limiter and Eq there, rather than have to route thru aux busses on everything.
I said this for years now. I would like to enter more than 4 cords per measure, at least twice that amount. Also, for 3/4, 6/8 timing, have at least 6 cords per measure spread out evenly. That would be a huge wow factor.
Mac would definitely make money on that deal. I know he said once he stores some of these answers (for a book someday?). Not only does he have a great collection of tremendously helpful info (his and others) stored ready to draw on, but often people ask similar questions. It's a moneymaker.
A dollar???......the word "priceless" comes to mind.............
1) the MAC button would be sweeeet!
2) More Real Tracks.....New Varieties (Real Hammond B-3 for Jazz, Real Wah Wah Guitar for funk, Real Horn Section, blah blah) and also more choices within the genres such as more variety of tempos!!
3) Solo Piano Arranger!!!
I think Band in a Box is plenty of incredible rich features, and version 2009 still in that cool way!. I like some features exposed here for sure! like support for multiple VSTs, more jazz, smooth, pop and brazilian focused RTs.

What more I could love in BiaB 2010: ( maybe a little odd wishes, please, dont think of me as a obsessed audio nerd )

- Send and receive of MIDI time code/clock or SMPTE sync commands in order get BiaB synchronized with daws like Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar, Protools, etc. Example: sometimes I play and send BiaB midi data on fly to Cubase in my laptop, or in the same PC via a virtual midi cable loopback (Midiyoke or similar), then set and match Cubase midi tracks with BiaB instruments midi channels and assign differents VSTi to each one in Cubase, great! until you figure out that BiaB can´t be synchronized to external midi/audio sequencers, therefore there is not possible time sync play/record. Of course I export MIDI files from BiaB to my daws for post-production, but there is a lot of fun implied when BiaB is used like a master sequencer.

- Multiple audio port driver (ASIO) or independent dx/vst plugins routing . Currently only one stereo audio outs can be selected in BiaB, despite the audio card is multiple outs featured, for example , my M-Audio Delta 1010 card . This advanced feature Itself could let to send RDs, RTs and BiaB audio track to different outs each. Example: sometimes I record my guitar as a dry not processed signal in BiaB audio track in order, to later on, to apply my favorite guitar amp simulator VST plugin, but then RDs audio is also processed for the guitar plugin because both, audio track and RDs use the same audio route. An APR, After Plugin Routing button (similar to audio mixers AFL) for each audio source, at a point in the BiaB signal path after the Dx/VST plugin could work great.
- Multiple undos
- A fix for simultaneous audio and midi recording bug, (midi is not recorded while audio does perfectly) although I hope it be fixed in next 2009 revs.
- RV (Real Video) . Automatic generation of user performance videoclip matched to style and mood, then YouTubeit. For example, if you play a Western movie song in your BiaB you would be featured in an instant generated video dressed like a cowboy and playing banjo or fiddle. Dont want imagine If lambada or reggaeton....

Best!

Carlos

...sorry for my sometimes entangled english wording ....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My demo song of Overloud TH1 , composed in BiaB, using a custom hybrid style.
Mina Sambinha another song created and recorded entirely in BiaB
As requested many times before, RealBackupSingers, to get that Beach Boys harmony sound. And some wicked Surf Guitar RealTracks. And a set of compatible styles that can be aggregated in RB or another sequencer to overcome the BIAB song track limitation to help create a Spectorian "Wall of Sound". Wouldn't that be nice?
Quote:

As requested many times before, RealBackupSingers, to get that Beach Boys harmony sound. And some wicked Surf Guitar RealTracks. And a set of compatible styles that can be aggregated in RB or another sequencer to overcome the BIAB song track limitation to help create a Spectorian "Wall of Sound". Wouldn't that be nice?

We will soon find out if Spector will start producing in front of a different wall...I know several people who worked with him back in the day, total nut case. Very creative obviously, but with several loose screws.

Bob
I would like to see some more RealDrum styles, particularly something in a New Orleans groove, like the Meters, or Little Feat type of thing. Also, I need more RealTracks in more tempos, lots more acoustic bass in a bunch of styles, and real strings would be awesome (I don't know that it is even possible, though). Is there a real vibe track yet? That would definitely be cool. I would like to see improved endings and intros, holds and shots with the RD's and RT's. Find a way to make the real bass do pedals. I haven't been able to get mine to do it.

Craig
Posted By: 8string Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 07/10/09 05:15 AM
Yes, the current 2009 choro is nothing like choro that I've been playing. I would recommend that you look at brazilian mandolin, cavoquino, pandiero, and a 7 string guitar, or 6 string with bass. There is musical notation available that details the bass runs the guitar is doing beneath the melody.
A Canadian version. LOL.
Posted By: Jazzman Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 07/10/09 08:48 PM

Besides more of wider expansion of all the new Real packages and the fixing of those new issues I would still like some of the old outstanding wish list to be cleared up -

1. We have 2-4-8 bar auto intro's but only 2 bar auto endings

2. Multi ports

3. Increased undo's
jazzman
What about the ability to 'hold' a note or chord? I'd love to hear a song end with a chord or note ringing out or fading out. But not just at the end of a song. Anywhere in a song would be great.

Many thanks in advance,

Dave
Improved endings. My primary use with BIAB is live performance. On many of the styles, I wish I could specify an ending that would hold and then fade out, especially the bass. How about a template of various endings to select from that could be appended and saved to a particular arrangement?
Posted By: hoytc Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 07/11/09 03:50 PM
1) The ability to send MIDI change information to external devices, while using the VST/DXi Synth feature (re: the following support email from BB)
You must keep in mind that this setup will not produce any sound, since all the MIDI is sent to the vocal harmonizer. Band-in-a-Box can send MIDI to only one port, so alternatively, you might want to use RealBand.Thank-You,Blake PG Music Inc.
2) Focus on features designed for the live GiGs.
- Easy set-up of playlists (without changing the names of the songs to get them to play in a certain order)
- A live gig style jukebox where I can set the amount of time between song playback, or better yet control it by a foot control.
- Programmable PC keyboard keys for things like volume up/down
(currently that feature requires two hands on my PC)
3) When creating a new song using Real Tracks, it takes alot of time to keep rebuilding the song (during the process of reviewing the song over and over), so if there was a way to do a partial build so only a bass or piano part is only being generated each time... then have the option to do a full generation.
Posted By: Art Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 07/12/09 01:44 PM
I’d like to see the “Record Melody / Record From” window have an optional button or switch somewhere in the window which would give the window the ability to remember the last “Record From Bar #” entered.

As it is now, the user is forced to manually enter the original "From Bar #", upon stopping every unsuccessful take.

Upon stopping an unsuccessful take, with the proposed optional “Remember From Bar #” button activated, the program would automatically whisk itself back to whatever bar number was last entered and then be ready to record the next take. (The last bar # that was entered would auto-retained or automatically re-entered or pasted and the program would thereby be ready to record the next take.)

Not only would this option be a great convenience to have during the recording of multiple takes, it would significicantly speed up the process of recording where multiple takes are necessary to achieve that sucessful take.

A-Matt
Peter: How about considering some Django guitar backup tracks for the following styles:
j_django.sty, j_djang2.sty, d!~htclb and j!~club

The midi really sounds great on my Yamaha SW1000 sound card but I can imagine what Real Tracks would sound like! John Jorgenson would be the artist you need to lay down the tracks. Simply one of the best there is now.

Thanks
Posted By: SeaMus Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 07/13/09 04:12 AM
1. Key changes. A real key change so that the I,IV,V display is updated.

2. User defined chords. Don't worry if the auto-generation scheme stops working for now. We don't just use BIAB to autogenerate parts.

3. Make ACW smarter to guess chords better. Make ACW do a better job timing at the start of the song. Yes, the lead in is usually slower, but don't cut it off completely. Let user specify beginning of song, then save all audio, then beginning of NormalTime. Alternatively, have the option of LeadInStartPoint.

4. Let ACW support standard .mp3 files, so we don't have to convert every time, or have to answer the question if we want to convert to Stereo or Mono.
Posted By: Mac Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 07/13/09 01:20 PM
Quote:

1. Key changes. A real key change so that the I,IV,V display is updated.

2. User defined chords. Don't worry if the auto-generation scheme stops working for now. We don't just use BIAB to autogenerate parts.

The Roman Numerals should not change when the key sig is changed.

The I in the key of C is still I in the Key of F (or any other key) even though they have two different letter names.

I think you are after "Fixed Do" numerics, though.

--Mac
I would like to see user assignable keyboard shortcuts.
I know it`s hard to do, but:

* Kicks with Real instruments

Serveral Kick situations (shots, holds, etc), so you can have some accents / shots with the real instruments.

Also a simple hold function, where the chord is held over at least one bar would be nice.
Especially for endings, I wish that the Real drums were able to do the usual rolls over the cymbals and toms at the end.

* A Drums Solo

I know one can work around this by pasting the trade 4 (4 bar solso) at one another in Real Band, but thats quite some effort and hard to do in BB.

* Multiple VSTi support
Real Horns would be great (Earth Wind and Fire, Tower of Power, etc... as would real Backup Vocals (even long tones.) Some more Real Tracks (as others requested, B3, vibes, etc.) I'd like to see some Real Tracks that mimic specific artists (whose licks are well-documented) like Bird.
Basic Oohs and Ahhs!
Quote:

Focus on features designed for the live GiGs.
- Easy set-up of playlists (without changing the names of the songs to get them to play in a certain order)
- A live gig style jukebox where I can set the amount of time between song playback, or better yet control it by a foot control.

I set up playlists without changing the names of songs by doing the following:
1. Click on the favorite songs button (the "F" between the "Song" button and song title box
2. Use the buttons on right (Append, Insert, Up, Down, etc.) to arrange the set as desired
3. Save the set (all you have to do is name it) To load it later, just click on "Load Set" and select the desired set.

Then I play these songs in a Jukebox mode by clicking on the bottom button on the right side of the Favorite Songs dialog box ("Juke...") and then "Play Jukebox" on the dialog box that pops up. I use an automatic pause after each song by going to Prefs>Arrange, and make sure the box is checked beside "Pause Play Until MIDI or Key received".

I use a footswitch to start each song whenever I'm ready; they will automatically load and wait for your command to begin playing. You can order a programmable USB footswitch for $36 plus shipping from Delcom at http://www.delcomproducts.com/productdetails.asp?productnum=803650. It works great. (Thanks to Mac for this tip.)

In BIAB Prefs I have the spacebar set to "Play from start." I program the footswitch to replicate the spacebar.

Good luck,
JK
I know some have mentioned this, but I'll add to the choir:

Solo Piano generator editor

Fantasy requests that will never get fullfilled:

Being able to create your own melody writer

Being able to created your own soloist

Counterpoint in the harmony generator

More realistic wishes that may be fullfilled soon:

Dobro realtracks soloist
Pedal steel realtracks soloist
More clean guitar realtracks soloists
Jazzy melodic realtracks harmonica soloist - i.e. toots thielman
Melodic violin realtracks soloist - not fiddle - aka more classical

anyway, since everybody is stating what they would like, I figued I'd add to the pile...
I'd like to see;

Real Cello background and Melody
Real Accordian, even though cranking up chorus helps now.
Real Strings background.
Real voice background
Real violin on styles other than country and bluegrass
Real Brass section with a wide variety of tempos and styles

If I think of any more I'll be back.

Denny
Real Fender-Rhodes piano
Real Strings
Real horns (R&B: trpt/sax/bone) ?
And I'll second the motion for just some simple "Oooo's" & "Ahhhh's" voices...

I saw someone mention some New Orleans/"Little Feat" styles...and how about some "Dr. John" styles...

The current RealTracks have some incredible bossa styles, but little in the way of jazz samba, jazz rhumba feels...
Posted By: Ryszard Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 07/30/09 12:58 AM
I haven't read anything in this thread and have no intention of doing so.

I kinda giggle every time I see "Expert" under my name on anything I post. All it means is I talk a lot here. I know a little about my instrument and analog recording and sound, but BIAB? "Baseball bin berry, berry good to me."

When I start feeling like I have some control over the embarrassment of riches I've been handed with each previous version of BIAB I own, I'll worry about asking for more.*

Yeh. This is me, holding my breath. If anybody calls, tell 'em to ask for "Blue Boy."

R.

*(Okay, Rewire, but that's being addressed. And let's do away with the 255-bar limit; that should have happened long ago. That's all I need. And my Thermos. And this stool. But that's it.)
1. Long overdue: Multiple level undos

2. When switching from an EV style to a swing style, melody and solo tracks will be automagically updated to swing 8th notes.

I always find it tedious to transcribe a song with complex structure from paper into biab. 2 main issues: (1) the bar numbering on paper doesn't match biab's. (2) cut-and-pasting bars within biab too manual, too error prone. So, it will be very handy if:

3. On the top of biab's internal numbering, biab allows me to label the bars with my own numbering.

4. Drag-and-drop to cut-and-paste bars.

Thanks.
What *I* would like is an easy 'Save' Option.

What I mean by that is a Save where I can save everything with one click. I don't have to go into Alt-F2 to save Harmonies, and I don't have to go into the Soloist to save Soloist settings with the song, and if I want the 'Strings' Real Tracks part to stay muted, along with the melody, it'll do just that when I open the file the next time.

I would also love to have the Real Tracks parts saved so that I can use the Jukebox feature to go from one song to the next without having to wait up to a minute between songs for the Real Tracks to load.

Now, I'm not even sure if we can do half the stuff I've asked for now, but it would be so nice to get the Real Tracks the way I want them, the parts muted, volumes, pans, and such set, and then press ONE button that saves everything. Then, when I go to open that track again, it's exactly the way it was when I left it. Even opening the same track from the bottom of the File Menu won't do that after I've closed the program.

To me, this is the hardest thing about using BIAB for a live situation, you have to spend so much time between the songs trying to get it set up for the next song, that your audience, or even yourself, loses interest.

Have a Save 1, Save 2, and Save 3 button. The Save 1 does exactly what it does now, Save 2 is like the Save with Harmonies, and Save 3 keeps EVERYTHING just as you have it.

Gary
Gary, this is a very good idea. I don't recall anyone stating this before, and certainly not as clearly.

I can't count how many times I have had to post to someone to Save with Patches & Harmony but do it WHILE the song is playing... We take that sort of thing for granted, but it can confound a new user.

+1
Posted By: JMatt Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 08/05/09 06:01 PM
I'd like to see a stream lined version for musicians on the job and a separate version for home enthusiasts, students and teachers.
Posted By: Jazzman Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 08/05/09 07:01 PM
Hi JMatt

I see what you are getting at

Some time ago I suggested that a great feature would be to couple or uncouple features so that you could have a full version or your own slimmed down version for gigging
jazzman
Posted By: MikeK Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 08/06/09 08:49 PM
If it's already been said, ignore me.

Would love to add a button to re-render the entire arrangement. When I save my arrangement the first time, I'd like it to stay that way and not re-render everything when you open it up and hit play. Simply avoid re-rendering anytime you press play. Only re-render on demand. I know you can do that with RT's - change one and "generate", but I wish the rest to stay the same when I hit that play button.

Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: Ryszard Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 08/06/09 09:20 PM
Quote:

Hi JMatt

I see what you are getting at

Some time ago I suggested that a great feature would be to couple or uncouple features so that you could have a full version or your own slimmed down version for gigging
jazzman

I have suggested a feature that would allow users to customize menus for the controls that were essential to their needs.
Posted By: Mac Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 08/06/09 09:43 PM
Quote:

Would love to add a button to re-render the entire arrangement. When I save my arrangement the first time, I'd like it to stay that way and not re-render everything when you open it up and hit play. Simply avoid re-rendering anytime you press play. Only re-render on demand. I know you can do that with RT's - change one and "generate", but I wish the rest to stay the same when I hit that play button.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike,

If I get what it is that you want, it is already there in the form of the RePlay button, located just to the right of the Play button.

--Mac
Posted By: MikeK Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 08/07/09 01:21 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike,

If I get what it is that you want, it is already there in the form of the RePlay button, located just to the right of the Play button.

--Mac

You are correct, Mac. What I was "trying" to say is: once you haven an arrangement you like and save it then re-open it, hitting play regenerates the arrangement and it turns out slightly different than the one you originally saved.

Maybe, I explained it better this time.

Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: MarioD Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 08/07/09 01:34 PM
Hi Mike, after you re-open the arrangement press REPLAY and it will play exactly like you saved it.
Posted By: MikeK Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 08/07/09 02:16 PM
Quote:

Hi Mike, after you re-open the arrangement press REPLAY and it will play exactly like you saved it.

Wow thanks! I had NO idea! Appreciate it!

Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: Mac Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 08/07/09 03:28 PM
I think that you will find that you still have to wait on RealTracks/RealDrums generation, though.

Just tried it with some of the pgmusic RealTracks demos and that is the case here.

The "Freeze" function may do the trick for you though, as well as converting the entire song to audio mp3 and placing it on the Audio track, muting all the others using Save with Patches and Harmony and not checking them to play.

--Mac
Since RealDrums came into existence, we've had the capability (after checking the appropriate box on the RealDrums Settings window) to have BIAB make a decision about which choice for drums would be "best...i.e., not bad" to use in place of the MIDI drums that came with the initial MIDI file (and this works the same for a BIAB file)...and, of course, it makes the substitution automatically. Of course, this can be over-ridden by the user if they wish to do their selection manually.

It would be nice to have a similar capability for RealTracks substitutions, particularly to support quick "backporch" type practice sessions whereby you would like something better than the MIDI instruments but would tolerate (actually "prefer" in many cases hopefully) substituted RealTracks that might not be the optimal had you taken the many minutes to "listen to examples, re-try some over others, etc." as a part of a much longer selection process that you would typically use in putting together something for an actual gig (so I'm talking about a "first order approximation" here....cough, cough). Even this "automatic substitute" process would still take some time for the automatic selection and loading time, but I could envision a folder of say 30 tunes that I plan to practice with for several hours (or the next few days). It would be nice to turn on the selection capability to be applied to a particular folder while I go do a chore or two (or overnight if needed).....i.e., it finishes in 30 minutes or an hour or so (depending on how many files you have in the folder) and is ready to go after that. Again, I'm talking primarily for use in practice sessions or an impromptu session with a couple friends (i.e., non-gig stuff).....and the substitutions would happen only for identical type instruments (i.e., a MIDI fiddle is replaced with a RealTracks fiddle, a MIDI acoustic guitar is replaced with a RealTracks acoustic guitar, etc.).

Actually, as more and more RealTracks are added, if the above was done with "careful foresight -- already an inherent part of PGMusic's operations", it seems to me it could evolve into a really nice future capability. Obviously it would be a bit of a challenge, but my guess is something similar to this has already been discussed at PGMusic...or has already been discussed in another thread.....or maybe it's of no interest....if so, then MY BAD!!!

Another option to the above would, I suppose, just be that of getting RealTracks to load in much faster (i.e., close to "real-time") eventually.......and I'm certain that's been on PGMusic's radar for some time.

Thanks,
cchalllum
Posted By: WienSam Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 08/07/09 04:04 PM
+1
Posted By: pwhack Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 08/07/09 06:47 PM
I'm glad to see that other people would like to see the save real track included in 2010 (so that once a realtrack is generated that you like, that you can save and reopen it later on without having to use freeze or other extensive workarounds)

Paddy
Posted By: jford Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 08/07/09 07:45 PM
Something about RealTracks that would be nice (and I think would be doable):

One of the issues is that if you make a chord change to a song, then obviously all the RealTracks need to regenerate, or they'll be playing the wrong notes. But why does it have to regenerate the whole song times each RealTracks track. Why can't it just change the RTs where you made chord change and then overwrite those changes at that point in the resultant WAV file. Sure, it could examine the chord before and after to make sure it selects something musical, but I don't see why it can't just update that part of the WAV file where the change happens. That could cut down on regeneration times significantly.

Just a thought.
Posted By: MikeK Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 08/07/09 08:35 PM
Quote:

I think that you will find that you still have to wait on RealTracks/RealDrums generation, though.

Just tried it with some of the pgmusic RealTracks demos and that is the case here.

The "Freeze" function may do the trick for you though, as well as converting the entire song to audio mp3 and placing it on the Audio track, muting all the others using Save with Patches and Harmony and not checking them to play.

--Mac

Aye, Mac. Am finally home and you're (as always) correct!

Thanks for all the help!

Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: MikeK Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 08/07/09 08:36 PM
Quote:

I'm glad to see that other people would like to see the save real track included in 2010 (so that once a realtrack is generated that you like, that you can save and reopen it later on without having to use freeze or other extensive workarounds)

Paddy

+1
Posted By: MarioD Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 08/07/09 10:24 PM
Quote:

I think that you will find that you still have to wait on RealTracks/RealDrums generation, though. Just tried it with some of the pgmusic RealTracks demos and that is the case here.
--Mac

Mac, as you know I am not a power user of RealTracks or RealDrums so I don’t know the answer to this. Are you saying that after saving a song using RT/RD’s that hitting replay the song will not play exactly like it was saved?

If so then that, IMHO, is a major bug that should be fixed ASAP.

Thanx for your time Mac.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I read MikeK's question as referring to the fact that when a song is loaded, it regenerates before it can play. Regenerating the song not only takes time, but it also will change the 'arrangement'. This is quite different from just pressing 'Replay'.

If I recall correctly, Peter Gannon commented on this awhile back, saying something to the effect that the song's 'arrangement' is not saved when you save a song, and therefore it cannot be loaded when you load a song; it must be newly generated. Thus, another method must be used, like freezing or saving to audio, if you want to reload the song and hear it exactly the same way again. That's what Mac and Paddy were alluding to.

What John suggested sounds a little like Jammer, wherein you can change just one part, but his idea is even more sophisticated to change just a small part of one real track. He's right, if that could be done, it would speed up regeneration considerably when you change just one chord. Because of the delay, I almost never work with Real Tracks until I am 'finished' writing the chord changes using MIDI playback. Only then do I load Real Tracks and get those great sounds. This is another of those "core functionality" issues that can't be marketed as one of a sexy 'fifty new features' to advertise, but would make a serious improvement to the program.

By the way, +1 for more than 255 bars (an eight-bit limitation).
Posted By: Mac Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 08/08/09 12:29 AM
Replay can't be a Replay until after the first Play is invoked.

If you just open a RealTracks song and then hit Replay, it does exactly what hitting Play does -- starts to generate the RealTracks first.

After that first generation of the tracks, then Replay will do what it is labeled to do, replay the song as it was in that generation, without regenerating tracks. Thus is faster, but only the second, etc. time around.

Replay is not a way to fool the program out of having to load and generate the tracks in the first place, which is what I think the original question was all about.

--Mac
Posted By: ptorpey Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 08/09/09 06:12 PM
I would like to see:

1. The UI being cleaned up and made more accessible for those of us using screen readers and navigating using keyboard commands. This includes more closely following Windows navigation shortcuts and UI design conventions.

2. A "history" option (like in Sonar, Audacity, etc.) where one can easily undo and re-do previous changes. Curretnly BIAB only supports one level of undo / re-do.

3. Better integration with Real Band. It would be nice if one didn't have to hop back and forth between programs to take a song from inception to end.

4. An easier way to edit/enter notes - Perhaps through a line-oriented text editor. This would make sequencing easier. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to import some sort of text file to get the first cut at a tune in order?

5. I didn't find a way in the current BIAB to apply audio effects to recorded audio. Currently this can be done to the midi and real tracks. It would be nice if we could do the same with audio tracks also.
Posted By: Mac Re: What would YOU like to see in BIAB 2010? - 08/09/09 11:20 PM
The DXi realtime effects (different from the destructive Audio Effects found in the menu) should apply to the recorded Audio Track.

--Mac
© PG Music Forums