PG Music Home
Hi everyone. I now that I bought my Audiophile BiaB(though I missed FedEx today by 20 minutes. I will have it tomorrow), and purchased the 399 Christmas sale on an iZotope Bundle of three plugins with lots of presets to help me get some things happening real fast. So I thought I would be in business. But come to find out this Yamaha MG82cx cheap mixer isn't doing the trick. I can't route it to where my pc will receive only my voice. Unless I do some cables changes I guess from the mic sends or something. Who knows. I am sure I am better off getting something else.

So please tell me the VERY BEST I can do for about 300 dollars for a USB Audio Interface. Tell me what you have. Also tell me what you really want to have if you don't have the one you want yet. I am thinking about Akai Professional EIE Pro 24-bit Electromusic Interface Expander. But I read some negatives. Ok please let me know. Artist Virtual Records has to start producing the hits soon!! lol
Now THAT is a question Sly. There's so many different ways to go.

First do you have any need to play a midi controller either a keyboard or guitar and record it AS MIDI? If yes then you need an interface that has midi inputs as well as audio inputs. If no you could get a nice USB mixer like this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=858050&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I see that Akai EIE Pro is also audio only so for about the same price I would be inclined to go with that mixer but I haven't compared the specs or read any reviews on them.

Second, do you think you might have a need to buy a hardware midi sound module? My Roland Sonic Cell in addition to being a good midi synth is also an audio/midi interface albeit with only one input for each but that's all I need right now if I'm at home and not out doing a live remote band recording. Several new keyboards are the same. In addition to being nice keyboards they have audio and midi inputs with USB connections to your computer. However if you know you will need more than one audio input then these are not for you.

Bob
Hey Jazzmsmmal(Bob)

About the Midi. I do have plans on buying maybe a 400 dollar Keyboard someday. I haven't been a pianist but once I dial in my studio I know I can play around with the keyboard and add to my songs. I hope I can. Just play along with my track. Work on the chords. Maybe just record it in parts. Record the piano chords on a track. Then go back and add some melody. Then alternating some base notes. Sure usually a pianist does that all at once but since I haven't been a piano or keyboard player I can do it that way.

So good thinking. I should get something for sure with Midi. I forgot about that. You asked me if I need a Hardware Midi Sound Module. I am not sure. If I bought a Midi Keyboard does this act as a Hardware Midi Sound Module? You may have to fill me in on that one.

It is hard to get all this right from the start. Buying everything that you need. This Yamaha MG82cx mixer apparently doesn't send my vocals out without the channel with my music track on it. Robh says it doesn't have Group Out. I just didn't know about Group Out. Is there another name for this routing or feature to look for? Of course a mixer needs that. I just tried recording quickly to get to know RealBand so I imported a Karaoke track but when I recorded it on track two that karaoke track is now with my vocal track. I should have known. What a poor mixer this is. I do have my Shure SM7B that is nice. I have all my Audiophile tracks coming in. And I bought the iZotope Studio Bundle for 399 last night. I have no regrets on that Bundle since it is on sale. But yes now I need an interface. I wanted one anyway. But now I may just have to buy it very soon.

So ok I want to hook a keyboard to this interface someday. So let me know if I need a Hardware Module. I want at least two Microphone XLR inputs. I don't need effects. Since I own the TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX...but I will be getting my effects from my iZotope plugins anyway. Not to mention this professional recording engineer/producer said it is best to record dry of effects to stay on pitch. Usually I sing with effects. So let me know what is a good option for me. The link you gave me won't be since it doesn't have Midi. Thanks Bob
If you're using a keyboard it still has audio outs. When you mentioned recording some bass lines or whatever that can all be audio if you wanted. The question about midi is interesting. I thought I would need it but I've haven't recorded in midi in the last eight years at least. I just plug in my Kurzweil using the audio out to my Sonic Cell audio in and that's it. No midi.

The thing about midi is editing. Much easier to edit midi than it is to edit audio. The majority of interfaces have both anyway so might as get one but this is an example of really paying attention to the specs. That Akai you're looking at only says four audio inputs, no mention of midi.

This from EMU is very good:

http://www.creative.com/emu/products/product.aspx?pid=19007

Audio and midi but it uses a PCIe card that has to be installed in your computer. People will say that gives you a cleaner signal and doesn't clog up your USB bus but I don't know if that really matters or not.

Here's their USB one:

http://www.creative.com/emu/products/product.aspx?category=610&pid=15185

I think the deal is USB is more convienient, no opening up your PC and then of course you have to have a PCI slot in the first place, but overall a PCI interface is better otherwise why would so many companies make them?

Bob

Looks like a good product that EMU. But it is 450.00 on Amazon. I don't really want to pay that at this time. What do you think about this product? The Steinberg UR22 2-Channel USB 2.0 Audio/MIDI Interface?

http://www.amazon.com/Steinberg-UR22-2-Channel-Audio-Interface/dp/B00B1FFPYO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_17

It has midi on this one also. It is a very low price
??

Here's an Amazon dealer selling the E-MU for -- $149.95

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IXNE3E/ref=...ASIN=B000IXNE3E

Mac would rather go with the Presonus and here it is for the same price:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-audiobox-22vsl-usb-2.0-recording-system

2 pristine inputs are indeed enough for the one-man-show home recordist. And your stated budget should go for sound quality plus rock solid drivers rather than more inputs and outputs at this point in time.

--Mac

Looks pretty good Mac. Though it says Cross-platform support (Windows XP/x64 and Mac OS X). I don't like how it doesn't say Windows 7. Maybe it is older. I don't know. This Steinberg UR22 2-Channel USB 2.0 Audio/MIDI Interface is still interesting me for some reason. I just want to get this right. I don't want to buy something that isn't going to help me record some nice songs.

As I mentioned this Yamaha mixer doesn't do it. I am recording both tracks on my vocal track. I will keep searching let me know what you are using. Maybe it is what you just showed me.
http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/saffire-6-usb
Originally Posted By: Sly Ruby
Looks pretty good Mac. Though it says Cross-platform support (Windows XP/x64 and Mac OS X). I don't like how it doesn't say Windows 7. Maybe it is older. I don't know.

Well, I bet you got those specs off of some sales page and not from the source. Sales pages and adverts get old and don't get updated. There is also an OLDER USB2 device from Presonus and is not the same at all as the one I linked to, the 22VSL.

From Presonus webpage, Specifications:

Quote:

Computer system requirements:

Below are the minimum computer-system requirements for the AudioBox 22VSL:
Windows

Windows® XP SP3, Vista x64/x32 SP2, Windows 7 x64/x32 SP1, Windows 8 x64/x32
Intel® Core™ Duo or AMD Athlon™ X2 processor (Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon X4 or better recommended)
2 GB RAM (4 GB or more recommended)

http://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-22VSL/techspecs
I have it's big brother and it works great in win7
Well guys what would you say if I told you I kind of like the Focusrite's Scarlett 2i4? That is newer than the Saffire 6 Bob. You probably know. I read there isn't much difference but the Saffire might go obsolete first with support. But thanks for showing me the link.

So let me know if anyone has the 2i4 and how do you like it? Also I would guess there aren't any problems with recording the vocals on a track and it recording the audio from the other track as my Yamaha MG82cx audio mixer is doing. I can't believe they would make it so I can't record in a multitrack studio very easy with it.
The mixer was not made for recording but was made for live sound. They do have a record output, but that is made to send the whole mix to a recording device.

There is noting wrong with the focusrite interfaces, they have great Preamp. Just a great unit.

Two reasons I prefer Presonus over the Scarlett

1. Presonus builds things like a tank

2. The focusrite does not have midi in/out

If you want to add a harmonizer, or midi device you have that option
Always plan ahead.

With the audiobox unit I have I send my vocal mike thru my
TC Helicon voiceworks into the audiobox via the digital s/pdif input and that saves all 8 inputs.

Either way you get a solid interface. One other cool thing is with Presonus, you get studio one artist free. One cool feature is later down the line you can activate the melodyne demo, and us the
ARA to edit audio tracks.
Well maybe I will sell it on Ebay or something. Make a few dollars. I guess I will buy the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 then. Many people like it. I was considering the Steinberg UR22 2-Channel USB 2.0 Audio/MIDI Interface because it is cheaper but I don't think I can use XLR in that. And I have new cables. Maybe this is the best I can do for about 175.00 on Amazon.
I use this little unit. Lexicon Alpha desktop Recording Studio USB in, Audio out, Line In and Out, Instrument In, Mic In (XLR connector)

Stereo line inputs for keyboards, drum machines or analog output of a CD/MP3 player.
RF-filtered TRS active-balanced inputs accept either balanced or unbalanced signals.
Low-noise mic preamp with balanced XLR inputs.
High-impedance front panel input for electric guitar or bass.

No Midi (I use UM-ONE devices for all my midi connections to the PC)

Quite OK in my opinion. Something to consider perhaps anyway.

Hope this helps

Attached picture 18-Dec-13 05-23-22 PM.png
I think Mac has the best suggestion Sly. I forgot about the Presonus and I have Studio One as a DAW...jeesh. I can tell someone something is good but Mac can go into excruciating detail as to the reasons why.

It's been a while since I thought about getting a full new interface since my EMU died and I was going to pick up that Presonus and just forgot to tell you about it.

Bob
Sure is a good price for that unit. I am looking at it now. I would like to get that one for the very good value. The price that I can afford. But the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Audio Interface. That one is 174.99 and your's is 59.00. That is a huge difference. The Focusrite does have midi which I might be using with a keyboard someday.

Lexicon Alpha Desktop Recording Studio 59.00

Record up to 2 tracks at once
44.1kHz to 48kHz sample rates, 16-bit or 24-bit resolution
One XLR mic, two TRS line, and one Hi-Z instrument inputs
Two TRS and RCA line outputs
Software suite includes Cubase LE4 and Lexicon Pantheon VST reverb plug-in

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Audio Interface 174.99

Two award winning Focusrite microphone pre-amps
Dual mic/line instrument inputs on combination XLR/TRS front-panel connectors
Precision, quality conversion at up to 24-bit, 96kHz sampling
Better than 105dB dynamic range on record and playback
Operates solely on bus power

Wow this is a hard decision. Your is a bargain and sounds great. Focusrite has Midi in case I get the
keyboard in a few months. I heard you can also record out to audio but if I can figure out how to edit the midi it might be nice to have. The Focusrite will put me in debt a little more. What I did was bought BiaB Audiophile. Paid it off by selling an old Lexus and putting more money to it. All but a couple hundred really. But last night I pulled the trigger on iZotope Bundle for 399.00 with Nectar 2 Vocal Production Suite, Ozone 5, Alloy 2,. Since they got an Emmy I guess recently for this program RX3 audio repair software I thought hey they know what they are doing. And when I saw the Vocal Production plugin I bought it within a couple hours I would say. Just to make my studio nice. But now I found out after playing around in RealBand that I can't record vocals without recording the other tracks on that track also. No group out I guess it is called. And though someone told me I could do something else with the cables directly from my mic channels I just have to buy one of these pc audio interfaces. So this means I will be in debt about 600.00. Though that isn't much really. I just bought 700 dollars in BiaB with no regrets. So this with my 350 dollar Shure SM7B It will be about 1700 dollars. But hey if this studio really records some nice songs then it is well worth it. I won't add my TC Helicon Voice Life Play GTX to it at 350 dollars because I don't believe I am using it for vocal effects at all, now that I have iZotope's vocal suite Nectar 2. So I wish you luck and wish myself luck with producing some great songs. I will go now and buy one. Likely the Focusrite but it sure would be nice to go for the one you have at that price. I know if would still make my recordings very nice. Ok thanks!! Sorry for rattling on. I type a little too good for my own good lol.
I will check out the Presonus also before I get the Focusrite. All I can say is I will be in the game like you all!! I am in it to win it just like you!! Destiny for great productions ahead!
Well in the last few seconds of the game as I went for the touch down just now for the Focusrite I discovered the Roland Quadcapture Audio Interface. Have you all heard of it? It is 188.18. More than the Focusrite 174.99. But I am impressed with this technology. Read this:

One-Click AUTO-SENS: Automatic Input Level Adjustment
Setting optimum recording levels is an indispensable part of capturing high-quality recordings. If input levels are too high, the sound will distort; if levels are too low, you lose the advantage of the excellent resolution afforded by digital recording, and the sound suffers from signal-to-noise ratio deterioration. To solve these issues, Quad-Capture is equipped with a unique "AUTO-SENS" function that automatically sets the appropriate input level. AUTO-SENS is simple to use for beginners and pros alike: just press the AUTO-SENS button, supply sound input for a short amount of time, and the built-in DSP analyzes the volume and sets the optimum input level. AUTO-SENS is also accessible via a software-based control panel, so you can control it remotely from your computer. This handy feature makes for quick and easy setup during recording sessions.

This might be it for me. What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Roland-QuadCapture...and+Quadcapture
Though I have listened to all of your input and you have some very good interfaces at better prices than what I was looking at. I just want to make sure I good for what I want in the near future. Midi was something I am wanting to work with and the others don't have it. Time will tell if I learn how to edit midi after I record some. I will just take my time. I am sure it isn't too difficult really.
Ok I just bought it. I just found it a few minutes ago talking to you guys and I was sold on the AUTO-SENS Technology that sets your input level perfectly. Wow I can't believe that I discovered it just before I went for the Focusrite product. After reading about that paragraph on AUTO-SENS and then checking out some YouTube videos on it I was sold. Just about 12 dollars more than what I was going to pay. I just gave 399.00 for 3 plugins why not close to 200 dollars for the very important interface? I want to enjoy learning how to record with my new studio. 2014 will be interesting learning all the fundamentals on it. And with the Audiophile RealTracks it will be amazing!

Thanks for all the help. Sorry I didn't buy the ones you mentioned but you got me thinking on what I wanted. The midi was mentioned and I failed to consider it and may have ended up buying an interface without it. So you all were good help. I will leave you with the info on the some info.

Roland Quad-Capture USB Audio Interface

With a pair of premium VS Preamps onboard, plus superb 24-bit/192 kHz audio quality, ultra-low latency performance, and convenient USB bus power, Quad-Capture sets a new standard for portable USB 2.0 audio interfaces. Its compact, durable design and pristine sound makes it the perfect foundation for portable, multi-channel computer-based productions on the go. With quality and performance that far exceeds its size and price, Quad-Capture stands at the head of its class.

VS Preamps
Quad-Capture boasts two premium-grade, digitally controlled mic preamps (VS Preamps) made from the same high-grade components as the preamps found in Roland's V-Studio 700 and M-400 digital mixer. Two XLR/TRS combo inputs are provided for the preamps, plus independent phantom power, low-cut filter, phase invert, and digital compression for each channel. The VS preamps can be controlled easily and intuitively with the included graphical Control Panel software (Mac/PC).

Roland Quad-Capture
Compact with durable aluminum body and Direct Box functionality. View larger

Roland Quad-Capture
Phantom power, ground lift, and Hi-Z switches are featured on the back panel. View larger

Roland Quad-Capture
Bundled with Cakewalk SONAR X1 LE. View larger
Setting optimum recording levels is an indispensable part of capturing high-quality recordings. If input levels are too high, the sound will distort; if levels are too low, you lose the advantage of the excellent resolution afforded by digital recording, and the sound suffers from signal-to-noise ratio deterioration. To solve these issues, Quad-Capture is equipped with a unique "AUTO-SENS" function that automatically sets the appropriate input level. AUTO-SENS is simple to use for beginners and pros alike: just press the AUTO-SENS button, supply sound input for a short amount of time, and the built-in DSP analyzes the volume and sets the optimum input level. AUTO-SENS is also accessible via a software-based control panel, so you can control it remotely from your computer. This handy feature makes for quick and easy setup during recording sessions.

Thanks,
Sly

Roland Quaad-Capture
One-click AUTO-SENS function intelligently sets optimal input levels for the preamps

Roland Quad-Capture
Featuring a software control panel and onboard dynamics processing. View larger
VS Streaming, with Support for All Major DAWs
Quad-Capture offers incredible stability and industry-leading low-latency USB performance via Roland's proprietary VS Streaming technology. All current Mac and PC Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) platforms are supported through ASIO 2.0/WDM (Windows) and Core Audio (Mac).

Phantom Power, Ground Lift, and Hi-Z Switches
On its rear panel, Quad-Capture features stereo S/P DIF I/O, which allows you to connect a digital device and use it simultaneously with the analog inputs and outputs. Analog outputs are provided on the rear panel as well, supporting balanced or unbalanced connections via 1/4-inch TRS jacks. There are also MIDI IN and OUT jacks (Quad-Capture functions as a MIDI interface, too), as well as switches for phantom power, Hi-Z operation on Input 1, and a ground lift that can be used to eliminate hum that might sometimes occur when connected to other devices.

Also on the rear panel is a USB jack for connecting to your computer. QUAD-CAPTURE gets its power directly from your computer's USB bus, so there's no need to hassle with external adaptors--a single-cable connection is all that's needed. Unlike most bus-powered audio interfaces, Quad-Capture regenerates the incoming power with its own wide-ranging power supply, providing the analog circuitry with the ideal voltage for the very best sound quality and efficiency in mobile environments.

Low-Noise Power Supply
One of Quad-Capture's key "behind-the-scenes" features is its low-noise, wide-ranging power supply. Designed to deliver a clean, balanced input and output, it provides a reliable foundation for any professional audio application or environment. When driven by the USB bus power supply, Quad-Capture's power is regenerated, providing the analog circuitry ideal voltage for the very best sound quality and efficiency in mobile environments.

Aluminum Build, DI Functionality
Quad-Capture is small, strong, and housed in a road-tough aluminum body, so you can transport it anywhere with the confidence that its premium internal components are securely protected. For live-concert environments, Quad-Capture also provides Direct-Box (DI) functionality, essential for noise-free live stage use.

SONAR X1 LE Bundle
Every Quad-Capture package includes a complimentary copy of SONAR X1 LE software for PC that's designed to work fluidly and seamlessly with the interface. Derived from Cakewalk's award-winning SONAR X1 DAW software, the LE version give you a powerful set of software tools for writing, recording, editing, and mixing your music.

What's in the Box?
Roland Quad-Capture USB Audio Interface, owner's manual, Cakewalk SONAR LE DVD-ROM (for Windows), driver CD-ROM, USB cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Roland-QuadCapture...oland+Interface
The one concern I have is that we have no real collective data on that Roland and use with pg music softwares as of yet.

Looks like we are about to be finding out the first user datapoint now, though.

EnJOY, and Good Luck,

--Mac
I have the big brother Octa-Capture from Roland and it works just fine in PGMusic softwares.
Looks like a good choice. Roland is a big deal in recording and live sound - they make good stuff. Good luck with it.
when the Roland Quad-Capture USB Audio Interface arrives how will you integrate it into your system

what will you plug into it

what are your expectations
I just checked it out and it looks good to me Sly. In fact I may put it on my list too. I've had no problems at all with my Sonic Cell except for the fact I had to find a 64 bit driver for it and it was kinda hidden on Roland's website but that was almost three years ago when I bought my new computer. This interface is brand new so I doubt that's an issue. There's no reason this shouldn't work just fine.

Speaking of drivers, as soon as you have it installed and working properly go on Roland's website, hit Support and check for the latest drivers. You may have the current one already but many times units will sit in a warehouse for months and meanwhile Roland released a new driver.

Bob
Thanks guys for the support. I really can't believe that I actually found the Roland QuadCapture Audio Interface after hours of talking with you guys and getting some very good suggestions. But right before I was going to pull the trigger on that Focusrite 2i4 I found this one. And when I read about that AUTO-SENS it truly sold me immediately. Along with all of the other specifications. Here is a few words agagin on it.

Setting optimum recording levels is an indispensable part of capturing high-quality recordings. If input levels are too high, the sound will distort; if levels are too low, you lose the advantage of the excellent resolution afforded by digital recording, and the sound suffers from signal-to-noise ratio deterioration.

And I know I am the guy that could be a dash into the distortion. And I am sure at times too low and the signal to noise ration takes me down to a low level. I am not even talking in a studio situation. Because this will be my first. Sure I have had a few mult-track studio software I have messed with. But I was younger and not as smart. So it didn't amount to much of anything. I do sing in Second Life doing live shows. I sing a lot of Sinatra, Dean Martin, Perry Como. Sure I am still working being as good as them. Wow that takes training. But last night I was singing for a couple ladies in SL and they were impressed. Though to a Hollywood producer he would know on a few songs I could use some polish. But with a few punch ins and my Sinatra tone BOOM WOW lol. I got off the subject. Oh yes I brought it up because this will keep my mp3 karaoke tracks from distorting too.

But yes I am in this for creating music. And pghboemike let me see if I can answer your questions. What am I plugging it into? My pc I built myself about 3 or so years back. And I have plenty of RAM and a fast enough processor. And on that pc I have my 399 Christmas sale bundle of iZotope plugins. I can't believe that company inspired me to throw down that much money for three plugins. But I was sold fast. It is the Studio Bundle. Nectar 2 Vocal suite was the big thing to me. Also there is a Voice Over preset. And it takes out the breath in the silence naturally. Settings to do an Audio Book read. So who knows. I could get involved in that later. But that takes reading talent. Acting in a sense to read with a good character. Also many other presets for Jazz Vocals and other great genres. Though I do hope that every setting was given a lot of thought and was set by long time experienced producers. A team of them. And not just merely naming it hey this we will call Jazz Crooner. Good enough Tommy. I think this Emmy Award winning company wouldn't do that. So I have guidance. Three plugins with presets galore.

Some guy seemed a little bitter in here about presets. How we won't know the difference in settings to make the decisions. Well on the vocal effect area you can here the difference. Other places in the plugins you here it, compression all these different things we will hear the difference. He just wanted to make me and others feel like we are inept newbies and he is King of the producers. Wow what a master I am. But so far he has yet to let me listen to his masterpieces. Where is his product? I haven't heard it yet. So he can beat me down all day long. My expectations are in 2014 I plan on just enjoying getting to know Band in a Box. Trying to learn new things. Getting to know all the great RealBand styles. Just preparing myself to start on my albums. I know it is one song at a time but I have a couple projects I may work on at once.

Now my expectations of my product. My productions. What do I expect from them? I hope I can take it to a high level with all aspects. I certainly don't expect radio ready productions. I don't expect it. But in life sometimes you can get to a high level at something when you least expect it. If I work hard in 2014 I might come up with some great songs. It might take me a couple years to get all this dialed in and to slowly write and produce some great songs. I know what I come up with though at the very least will be a great attempt at an independent Jazz Vocal album. I don't expect big success. And really don't expect hardly anything with making money from this. Sure I am using Artist Virtual Records for my label. But I am using MondoTunes to digitally distribute to over 750 online stores worldwide. I think it is about 40 dollars for one album distribution. So if I were you I would go with them. I researched the others. MondoTunes is the winner. So I expect just a few sales on occasion of my albums. Not many. It could be 3 albums a month all I care to be honest.

That is success to me. Selling just a few albums here and there worldwide. So I will succeed at this. No matter what happens. Because I know I have the talent with singing in the style that I am focusing on. And I know I have the writing skills. And with BiaB at my side I hope to do great things. My albums won't make me much money at all but it is a fun hobby. But I could get lucky. My album could hit the charts. I saw some interview with some producer. Really a nobody of a producer. Just a guy with a studio at home. Not millions in equipment. He worked on a song and kept on it. Making changes. Adding different ideas. He didn't think much of it. But it turned out he was up for a grammy for it I believe. I am not sure if he won or not. Probably not. But he was a winner for being acknowledged. I forget his name. But that guy never thought that would ever happen to him. So all us could find great success also. And BiaB is at the heart of it all. Lets just have a good time. Forget the nutcases in the world that tried to put their disturbance on us. Know that we are great people. And will enjoy good times in the music business. Just make your own music business. Don't worry about the bigshots out there with the big name record companies. Don't worry about the money they have. The prestige they have. They are nothing to us. We don't need them. And they will learn that the music business is going to take them down a few pegs in the next 10 years. There are just too many very talented people out there. And with home studios built on a budget now being able to produce radio ready music these guys are shaking in their boots lol.

I better get going. In a few minutes my BiaB will be here. I missed it yesterday by 20 minutes having left to the post office. My Audiophile will arrive!! Thousands of dollars worth of studio musician's recordings all for me. WOW I WILL HAVE A FIELD DAY on this just checking out my new band members for my virtual group Frychester. And my solo career band members for Sly Ruby. All virtual nothing more. Just like the Gorrilaz are a Virtual Band. That is my concept. So whatever age you are your virtual artists are looking good! Star quality in appearance. Marketable to all and they will love our music. And once the holograms singers hit the stage it will be incredible. But those don't come out for another 15 years. The life sized realistic holograms. They are coming. But for now my virtual artists live in a virtual environment. Mostly residing in Second Life. I hope nobody read this gibberish lol. Always type happy about all this. laugh
Good idea Jazzmammal, it is worth checking out. Even though it was more expensive I thought that if I can always have my levels right then that really will help me get things right. That is such a big part of digital recording. To make our recordings sound great. I thought hey I just paid 399.00 for three plugins, you can throw down close to 200 dollars for this very important part of the studio. Now I just have to pay off the 600 dollars. So lets see what I have into it

BiaB Audiophile with RealBand -- about 700.00
iZotope -- Studio Bundle -- 399.00
Roland -- QuadCapture Interface -- 200.00
Mic -- Shure SM7B -- 350.00
Other Effects -- TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX with mic 350.00
Guitar -- Washburn Grand Auditorium 300.00
--------------------------

possibly a Roland Keyboard later 500 dollars
Selling Yamaha Mixer on Ebay to recoup some cash

I will keep studying up on all this. I know the pro studios have all this hardware too
while they still use the DAWs with all of the plugins. But I think now there are more
studios not using that much hardware. I have to find out about all of this. Maybe I
will discover something I need like that later. But for now I think I have a lot to
do. A lot to learn. I have all I need for the next year to get some things accomplished
that is all that I know. I hope you are getting it all dialed in yourself.
Great to hear you have the Roland OctaCapture I saw that one also. It has the AUTO-SENS technology also. How do you like it? Are your levels perfect everytime? Has it really made your recording much easier? Tell me what you think about it if you can. When I read about that feature that was it. I haven't read about the other interfaces having that great technology. Let me know how it has been going for you using it.
Sly I have tried the auto-sens and it does work as advertised. But to be honest I rarely use it as my Octa-Capture is away from my computer so it is much easier for me to use the input and output mixers in the included driver software. Note you can only activate auto-sens from the unit and not from the software.

The reason it is away from my computer is two fold. One is there is no room near my computer as it is set up now. The other is the fact that I have 10 inputs and outputs and I didn’t want all those cords near the computer, especially the input cords. You know the one everyone trips on! If I can save and get the computer music station that I want then I may have it closer to my computer. But for now it is what it is.

Back to your question yes it does work and that is a fact that I had forgotten until your message. I should try it again when I’m recording from multiple inputs. Thanx for reminding me about it!
Hey MarioD,

Check out this video on the Roland QuadCapture...about 1 minute 15 or so seconds in to it the guy aays:

Graphical control panel software provides fast, intuitive control of the VS Preamps. In addition QuadCapture control panel has an AUTO-SENS button. You can control the AUTO-SENS function via your pc.

Those are his exact words. But this is with the QuadCapture and you have the OctCapture I guess it is. But your's is more expensive and I thought was the original? Maybe you need to download an update to this new functionality? Or you have an older version. Check out the video let me know what you think about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sb1ES7nyFs
You have a nice line up listed there Sly. That list of toys would keep you busy for a long time to come.
Sly

Can I recommend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oncB_dNkRU

and go to ~ 5:50

and watch a few other of the RcordingRevolution Video's
Quote:
I just tried recording quickly to get to know RealBand so I imported a Karaoke track but when I recorded it on track two that karaoke track is now with my vocal track. I should have known.

May simply be the way you have the mixer set up.

If the mixer sends two channels to the computer, it's a matter of setting up your monitor/mix routing properly.
Sounds like you may be coming back out of the computer to the mixer .. or getting a monitor mix.
Hey Larry,

Thanks for the video to The Recording Revolution. I watched that. Sounds like you gave that to me at a good time. I only bought three plugins for 399.00 from iZotope. So I will keep it at that. Though he is probably right I could have just used the stock ones and got good at those. But even he bought a truckload of them over the years. But luckily I heard what he said now to I don't find more plugins and buy those too lol. But the ones I have are everything I need in plugins. All aspects of the getting everything right. And all the great presets to give me guidance for various types of sound. Without them I wouldn't have a clue what settings could be best for my productions. And luckily I got them on sale too.

I will go back and read his ebook some now. Check out more of his videos and subscribe to them. Because that guy has some good principles. I see that he isn't out to sell us anything. Though he did speak of pro tools as an industry standard if someone is ever considering going pro. Just to have that around would be nice he essentially said. I thought it was Cubase before. I have heard of Pro Tools however. Though I will go with what he said. Use the DAW that you have. That is all I need. I have RealBand. Why not use that? I have my iZotope plugins that make it even better. I don't need to spend any money on a DAW like pro tools or Reaper when as you can see when you open RealBand you see the multi-tracks right in front of you. It's all there. I am sure a pro could use RealBand and create an album using it and get a grammy award.

So now I will just pay off about 600 dollars in about 3 months or so. Be zero in debt. Then maybe consider a keyboard so I can add some original notes notes to my song. Add some melody here and there. I just got my package from Canada 2 and a half hours ago. BiaB Audiophile is still unopened. I am not jumping to it because I want to treat it kind of like a present from Santa. You wait patiently. Then open it when the time is right lol. Also my Roland QuadCapture Audio Interface is preparing to ship from Amazon now it says. So give me a few days to get this rolling. So now my plans are it is BaiB University all 2014 taking it slow. Learning all I can. Enjoying it at every level. Don't let them beat you down making you feel inept by calling you a newbie. Because in a year you might just produce a song that will make that clown's head spin! Also now I am going to study up at The Recording Revolution website. I already like that guy's style of teaching. He isn't trying to sell a certain product I can see that. But who knows he might have something for sale somewhere I am sure. A book or two I don't know. But that is ok. He should make something on teaching people the ropes somehow.
Thanks Rob, I didn't know I would have to get an interface so soon. I was considering one a week ago for the near future but after I started to record using this Yamaha mixer I found out that I couldn't do it without recording the instrumental track I imported just for testing...onto my vocal track. So after asking on this forum I was told the news. I had a feeling it was something to do with my mixer. Luckily I have managed to afford this investment. I believe I have made the right decisions with what I ordered. I hope you get it right also.
Sly, the guy at Recording Revolution sells some excellent video tutorials on mixing, editing, recording, compression, eq, vocals, etc. I own most of them and they are very good. He also has lots of short free videos but the paid ones are much more detailed and well organized.

http://therecordingrevolution.com/products/
Great John I checked it out. I will hold out for now. Looks like he could be making some money. I like his concept. Trying to keep people from buying a lot of things they don't need. Seems unbias. Looking out for us. Though he seems to be pushing Pro Tools very hard. If you want to go pro you need pro tools. It is the industry standard and you should have it around at least basically. I am not so sure about that. You can't even load your VST's in that DAW I see. But you can if you use some kind of adapter I was just reading about. I thought Cubase was the leader? The standard? I am sure people that want to be pro don't need Pro Tools. In fact since he told me I have to have Pro Tools I am steering toward Cubase. That DAW accepts VST Plugins. I was just on their site checking out a video on it. It looks very good. Though I will see what I can do with RealBand. Learn in RealBand first. Get some songs under my belt first. Why get ahead of myself thinking I need anything new. I forget who told me what. It might have been you that is for Reaper?? Not sure. I haven't seen any videos on it. It could be nice. But when you open that program nothing is there. All the channels or tracks aren' even created. I wish they would have it look full and interesting with all the components when you open it initially. That one is half the price of Cubase. But the one I have now I bought with BiaB so I will get to that one.
Rharv the particular mixer he has does not have a feature that route separate from the main out.
check out this free Introduction to Music Production course

https://www.coursera.org/course/musicproduction

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=coursera+introduction+to+music+production&sm=1

once you get your system functional check out streetjelly

What is streetjelly?
Musicians performing live by webcam for tips. Also known as Online Busking!
Think of it this way, it's self-broadcasting meets micro-donations meets musicians.

http://www.streetjelly.com/how_it_works

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=228684&page=1

have fun!
I am checking out Berklee now. Looks interesting. I may have to buy a DAW that they list as what they teach. I am watching some video now. Thanks
FWIW I bought the Roland V 700 system quite a while ago and I like it just fine. I don't think the Quad or Octa captures are much different except they don't have the Fantom synthesizer chip built in.
WSS
Originally Posted By: Sly Ruby
I am checking out Berklee now. Looks interesting. I may have to buy a DAW that they list as what they teach. I am watching some video now. Thanks

you can use realband

here is the link for your quad capture drivers and if applicable operating system update

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1166/downloads/

Hey Sly,

First thanks for your postings. Your enthusiasem is contagious and reminds me why I love music. Whatever you do, keep your joy.

You're putting together a heck of a music production system.

The Berklee Introduction To Music Production at Coursea is a great suggestion. It will open your eyes regarding the potential of music production and of the workflow needed to complete a song project. Good news is the class doesn't require using any specific daw. You'll have a good opportunity to learn how to do many common daw tasks in RealBand.

Last may I suggest you take a look at ProAudioDVDs.com. David Wills has been providing audio training to home studio owners for a long time and has free and for purchase videos. Many manufacturers have used him to introduce new products to their new owners. He also has many videos on YouTube.

Another good choice for video training is Groove3 Groove3 offers solid training in the basics of recording, editing, mixing and mastering. It also offers video training on most daws, but not RealBand. The best feature is the all access pass for $99. You can view any video they have for a year.
Jim, great advice about David Wills!!! I bought his video on how to use the Zoom H4n recorder and it was simply amazing!!!
Thanks I am just putting together this all by chance. I heard about BiaB years ago but I didn't think much of it. But then again years back it probably was about as much as I thought. Because it was just starting out. But now years later the many years of RealTracks made something very interesting for me. I wanted it after I heard a lady perform in Second Life the virtual world...doing a show. And she always referred to her band during her show. It sounded like a live band. But I thought how could she get this band together on every gig she had? Seemed like a lot to do for a few dollars in tips for a virual world show. So I asked her about it. I said hey is that a real band you are playing with? She said no it is Band in a Box. Oh really wow...I might have said. I was interested right away. So I went to the site and I saw 2013 up for sale. I thought maybe a new one is coming out soon. I was waiting then for about a month for the .5 version. I thought I might get that one. But a couple months went by and that still didn't come out. Then I said well if it comes out I am not getting it, now I will just wait for Christmas and get the big update I heard about. So I went for it and bought the Audiophile. In fact I have the package here unopened. I receieved it yesterday. I think I might open it tonight. I didn't want to jump to it too fast. I wanted to wait a while building up my mind like a Christmas gift. Though maybe I will wait because I have to rehearse a Christmas show. I am doing a show tomorrow night at this North Pole venue in Second Life tomorrow night at 4pm. Ok thanks for the link to the training videos I appreciate it
Thanks I will get that brochure asap. I am looking forward to setting this interface up and becoming familiarized with it. What a great interface to have that technology to keep my audio levels right. Knowing how important that is I had to get this one. It was a few more dollars but I said it is worth it. I should get it in a few days.
I don't see an interface with that name. I found this Roland V-Combo VR-700 it is a keyboard. But I don't think you are talking about that. I am buying a keyboard maybe in a couple months to hook up to my Roland QuadCapture interface. See what I can do with it. I haven't been a pianst but I am musically inclined. I have written songs and can play some guitar. But I know when I create some nice tracks I can work on playing along with a keyboard. Finding the chords. Record some kind of arpeggio to it. Then maybe do another track with the bass notes. I might do it in three tracks. Sure a trained pianst can do it all at once but since I can't play piano I an do it a little at a time lol.
© PG Music Forums