PG Music Home
Posted By: Tom Leparskas BIAB2014 doesn't see Sampletank files - 01/06/14 08:30 PM
I have 2014 BIAB installed plus sampletank 2.5.
Sampletank is authorized and I can hear sounds from it when running in stand alone mode.
All the audio files are in the C:\programfiles(x86)\IKmultimedia\Sampletank 2.5\Band In a Box sub-directory where they are supposed to be.

In BIAB selecting Hi-Q menu choice from mixer pop-up- BIAB will report files as missing:

for example a drum part:

Hi-Q 001 01 Drums, Acoustic, Rock Kit SampleTank.tgs ** not found in C:\Program Files (x86)\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 2.5\Instruments\Band-in-a-Box\

or strings:

Hi-Q 050 01 Strings, Ensemble, Movie SampleTank.tgs ** not found in C:\Program Files (x86)\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 2.5\Instruments\Band-in-a-Box\

Thanks,
Tom
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB2014 doesn't see Sampletank files - 01/06/14 08:41 PM
Hi Tom,

Navigate to the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 2.5\ and see if you can find a subfolder called Band-In-A-Box in any of the folders in the SampleTank2.5 directory. If so, please let me know it's path.

Regards,
Noel
Noel:

I just found a previous forum thread after I posted - sorry to duplicate.

The path is c:\Program Files(x86)\IK Multimedia\sampletank 2.5\Instruments\Band In A Box.

Sampletank work as a standalone.

Tom
Noel:

I started BIAB as administrator.

When accessing ST I got a yellow pop up menu suggesting I move the band in a box folder up one level and put it under "sampletank 2.5"

Does that sound right? I didn't get the pop up starting BIAB in normal mode.

I will try it.

Tom
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB2014 doesn't see Sampletank files - 01/06/14 09:27 PM
Hi Tom,

I wouldn't put the BIAB files up a level. Sampletank needs to have the files it seeks all off the same level/directory. That's usually the default ...\Instruments directory.

Have you tried going to BBW.EXE in the \bb directory and setting its permissions to "Administrator"? This is done by right clicking on the file and opening the "Properties" option. If I recall correctly from an earlier post, setting permissions is worth trying.

Regards,
Noel
Noel:

OK, I've heeded your advice.

I set all permissions to 'allow' - - but when I try to adjust sST in DXI window it states I am not running ST in Admin Mode - restart in admin mode. It has full permissions.

However the issue of the 'lost' tgs files etc is not solved. BIAB still cannot find the sounds though they are in what seems to be the correct path.
Tom
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB2014 doesn't see Sampletank files - 01/07/14 01:36 AM
Tom,

My files are in a sub-folder called Band-in-a-box. If your sub-folder does not have the above exact name with hyphens, try renaming it.

Also, at some point in time it might pay to shut down and reboot your computer (not simply start it up from hibernate/sleep).

Regards,
Noel
Noel:

I'll check the path name, but wasn't it created by the installer?

I've given bbw full permissions, as well as all the files in the sampletank folder.

Have done a full re-boot and actually re-installed Hi-Q files. That didn't do it.

I'm at work, so will check actual path name when I get home.

Thanks,

Tom
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB2014 doesn't see Sampletank files - 01/07/14 12:38 PM
Tom,

See how you go. If the problem persists, it probably means that you'll need to (re)set Sampletank's default path. I'll explain how to do that if you don't get any joy.

Out of curiosity ...

1. Are you using the free Sampletank that came with BIAB?

2. Have you authorized ST through IK Multimedia?

3. Have you used ST on earlier versions of BIAB?

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB2014 doesn't see Sampletank files - 01/07/14 12:50 PM
Tom,

I'm replying to your recent comments in the other thread. I've noticed from other posts over recent months that logging into your computer as administator is not enough. People have reported that it's actually necessary to go to the file bbw.exe and give it administration priviges by right-clicking on it and opening the files "Properties". Is that how you set BBW.EXE? If not, it's definitely worth trying.

Regards,
Noel
Noel:
exactly as you say - I did it in properties : Allow read/write in all checkboxes. (for SYSTEM / ADMIN / and USER)

Tom
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB2014 doesn't see Sampletank files - 01/07/14 12:57 PM
Tom,

(I'm not sure if you saw this post above so I'm just putting it below in case it slipped past.)

Out of curiosity ...

1. Are you using the free Sampletank that came with BIAB?

2. Have you authorized ST through IK Multimedia?

3. Have you used ST on earlier versions of BIAB?

Also ...

4. How are you running BIAB (from your computer's hard drive or the USB drive?

5. What directory / folder do you have BIAB installed to?

Sorry for the questions but it's important for me to appreciate your set-up.

Kind regards,
Noel
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB2014 doesn't see Sampletank files - 01/07/14 01:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Tom Leparskas
Noel:
exactly as you say - I did it in properties : Allow read/write in all checkboxes. (for SYSTEM / ADMIN / and USER)

Tom

I think Noel means like this:

Attached picture 07-Jan-14 11-57-57 PM.jpg
Attached picture 07-Jan-14 11-59-21 PM.jpg
Attached picture 08-Jan-14 12-00-17 AM.jpg
Noel:

THIS may answer it - and I never thought of it.

Checking IK's FAQ's it turns out ST 2.5 is NOT a 64 bit plug-in.

I run Windows 7 64 bit.

It's not going to work no matter what..
IK has posted Sampltank 3.0 will be the 64 bit compatible plugin.

Amplitude 3 DOES run in 64 - so I've never had an issue with it.

OY!!

I wish PG Music had that info posted somewhere to save all these headaches. I'll just skip HI-Q for now.

Tom
Trevor:
I've discovered that ST 2.5 is not a 64 bit plug-in. It's in the IK Multimedia FAQ's.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit Professional.

Dang - lot of trouble for nothing -skipping HI-Q for now.

Thanks,

Tom
Posted By: Mac Re: BIAB2014 doesn't see Sampletank files - 01/07/14 01:33 PM
Doesn't sound entirely right.

Lots of users running 64 bit OS's and the Sampletank included with BB, no?

Some few have reported troubles getting it going, though.

A Forum Search here should show both.

--Mac
Mac, worth finding out.

I'm going by what I saw on IK Multimedia.

This question was for Logic Pro in 64 bit but the answer seems to include all 64 bit OS.

---------
Please note that Logic Pro X is a 64 bit only application. This means that there are some IK plugins which are not compatible at this time.

Currently, the following plugins are compatible with 64 bit hosts such as Logic Pro X:
AmpliTube 3
AmpliTube Custom Shop
T-Racks 3
T-Racks Custom Shop
Classik Studio Reverb
ARC System
ARC System 2

The following plugins are not compatible with Logic Pro X:
SampleTank 2 (L/XL/XT/Free)
SampleMoog
SampleTron
Sonik Synth 2
Miroslav Philharmonik
Miroslav Philharmonik Classik Edition
AmpliTube Jimi Hendrix
AmpliTube Fender
AmpliTube Metal
Ampeg SVX

For the individual AmpliTube versions listed above, you can host them inside of AmpliTube 3 or AmpliTube Custom Shop, which supports 64 bit. To do this, please launch AmpliTube 3/AmpliTube Custom Shop and click the 'Custom Shop' logo or launch the Custom Shop from your Programs (Windows) or Applications (Mac) folder.

This will open the Custom Shop application, login using your IK User Name/Password.

Click up top on the GEAR drop-down menu, select 'Restore My Gear'. This will load in your registered and purchased 'AmpliTube' models into AmpliTube 3/AmpliTube Custom Shop for use in Logic Pro X and other 64 bit only hosts.

If you do not have AmpliTube 3 or AmpliTube Custom Shop, you will find a free copy of AmpliTube Custom Shop available in your User Area > My Products on www.ikmultimedia.com.

For our virtual instruments such as, Miroslav Philharmonik, SampleMoog, SampleTron, SampleTank 2, and Sonik Synth 2, the move to support 64 bit will come in the form of SampleTank 3, a new version. Please stay tuned for updated release information and pricing on this upcoming version of SampleTank 3.

----------------------
end quote

Tom
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB2014 doesn't see Sampletank files - 01/07/14 01:50 PM
I have been running ST2.5 on a 64 bit Win 7 Professional for a couple of years now in both Sonar and BiaB with no problems. If the forum search doesn’t help you may need to wrap ST2,5 with a program like J-bridge: http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

I use J-bridge on 32 bit VST and VSTis when Sonar’s automatic bit-bridge doesn’t. Sonar may have automatically wrapped ST2.5 on my system, don’t know. All I do know is that ST2.5, which I have had for quite a while now, worked from the git-go in BiaB.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB2014 doesn't see Sampletank files - 01/07/14 01:57 PM
I'm running Windows 7 / 64 with the SampleTank included with BB. I haven't had any issues, (well, not once I got through IK Multimedia's registration process).

27 instruments are listed.
Mario:

so it's a workaround?

Tom
Posted By: Mac Re: BIAB2014 doesn't see Sampletank files - 01/07/14 02:28 PM
You should not need a program like the JBridge in order to run the BB SampleTank on a 64 bit computer.

Something else is going on there.

--Mac
Posted By: jford Re: BIAB2014 doesn't see Sampletank files - 01/07/14 02:32 PM
Tom, your 64-bit operating system (Windows) will run both 64-bit and 32-bit applications. Sampletank is still a 32-bit VSTi (application), but runs fine on 64-bit Windows. So Sampletank will run fine and natively with BIAB and RealBand, both of which are 32-bit applications.

Sampletank will run in a 64-bit VSTi, but as stated above, needs to be "wrapped" with somethink like jBridge, or one of the wrappers that are already included with the application (as Sonar does).
Mac, I'm getting replies on both sides of this answer - some say you do - others you don't.

I'm getting on a live chat with PG Support to get more info.

Thanks - will report.

Tom
John:

so BIAB is still a 32 bit app?

As I replied to Mac - I'm getting on a support chat to get answers.

Thanks,

Tom
Noel:

1. yes, free SampkleTank 2.5
2.yes, authorised - second time.
3. no, never used in BIAB - have used Amplitude 3 successfully on previous versions 2012, 2103.
4. hard drive
5. C:\bb - I'ved used BIAB since 2005.

Tom
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB2014 doesn't see Sampletank files - 01/07/14 09:15 PM
Hi Tom,

The fact that Sampletank has installed to <c:\program files(x86)> indicates it is a 32 bit application. From what I've read on these forums, the program works fine on a 64 bit operating system.

Before worrying about the Hi-Q sounds, let's see if Sampletank is working first.

To do that, have a read through the below thread. About half way through the thread, I start explaining how to set up Sampletank on the Piano track so that it can be tested to see if it's functioning. You'll see lots of graphics I posted to help with the explanation.

link to earlier Sampletank post ...

NOTE: To load a midi style into BIAB so that you can check the above, it's necessary to disable the BIAB's default behaviour of automatically substituting Realtracks for Midi. (See below diagram. Simply uncheck the option I've highlighted.)

Hope this helps,
Noel
Posted By: Mac Re: BIAB2014 doesn't see Sampletank files - 01/07/14 10:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Tom Leparskas
Mac, I'm getting replies on both sides of this answer - some say you do - others you don't.

I'm getting on a live chat with PG Support to get more info.

Thanks - will report.

Tom

Tom, all I can tell you about is the one 64 bit laptop I have here, and the SampleTank "as issued" does indeed work on it.

There have been all sorts of problems with the SampleTank install, though, in my case the problem happened with an older 32 bit XP lappy here, go figure. That one couldn't find the SampleTank files in the IKMultimedia Program Files folder, no matter what I tried or where I manually put them.

I think a chat with Support would be a good idea for you, better yet would be to have your machine right there with you and give the tollfree hotline or the live chat support a holler, they can even "take over" your machine from there if you allow them, and often can quickly solve problems that way.

--Mac
Mac:

I can play MIDI files in BIAB but not through Sampletank.

They play with Forte DXI. I have played a song with both RT and MIDI playing and MIDI sounds good.

I did spend 30 minutes with LIVE CHAT with support and no resolution.

I did learn to:
1. properly set BBW to run as administrator
2.properly set ST to run as administrator

The files are exactly where they should be according to CHAT, also he did say ST will run on 64 bit machine - so those are settled.

Trying to insert a ST sample causes BIAB to still throw up the 'can't find sounds' ***.tgs files error.

Until support has a solution - I'll put Hi-Q on the back burner.

They couldn't resolve it and told me to contact full PG support. So I'm waiting for a service ticket to open.

Tom
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB2014 doesn't see Sampletank files - 01/08/14 04:53 AM
Tom,

Did you run through my instructions that I put as a link in the post immediately above Mac's? They're very comprehensive.

These will ascertain if Sampletank works in BIAB. Once we know it works, we can then try getting the Hi-Q sounds playing. My experience is that it pays to start right from the beginning and step through.

In your above post, I notice that you mention MIDI. When I read it, I found myself wondering if maybe there is some confusion as to how ST works.

Normal MIDI files do not play through ST like they do through Forte. Forte is a general MIDI VSC/Dxi whereas ST has to be individually set up to play to each channel.

What this means is that you can't simply load a MIDI file and hear it playing if ST is active. To get it playing in ST, it's necessary to open the synth's control panel and physically put the various instruments on each MIDI channel.

Regards,
Noel
Noel:

yes, I have done that.

No audio from sampletank. The GUI opens and I can see all the sounds in the directory.

I have a MIDI track in the "STRINGS" part of the song.

In the DXI plugins panel I choose ST as the source - add an instrument to the channel. Testing the ST keyboard on the GUI - no sound.

If I run ST as a standalone - I can hear the sounds.

Tom
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB2014 doesn't see Sampletank files - 01/08/14 10:54 AM
Hi Tom,

Can you give me a little more information about what midi you have assigned to the string track. For example, is it a style you've loaded in, is it Hi-Q, etc.

If you can be specific and let me know, I'll set it up and let you know what I did to get it playing. That will allow you to follow the steps and see if it works.

I don't have ST standalone so I can't try it out.

Also ...

1. Is ST loaded in the Stings slot of VST/DXi or the Default Synth slot?

(I take it that you are aware that the String Track in BIAB is assigned midi channel 6 and so the sound in ST would need to be assigned to midi channel 6.)

Regards,
Noel
Noel:
thanks a lot mate.

I'm at work right now.

ST standalone is just started from the Sampletank.exe file in IK Multimedia folder. I just double clicked to start - it'll run outside BIAB to test. I can hear sounds when I do that.
I wasn't aware 'strings' were ch 6 - I guess they just follow in order from top down?

ST loaded in 'Strings' slot.

Forte DXI is the default.

Will try this at home later this PM.

Thanks

Tom
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB2014 doesn't see Sampletank files - 01/08/14 12:49 PM
Hi Tom,

I'm heading off now. I'll come back to your post in the morning.

In the meantime, if you have a look through this thread (here's the link), and scroll about 1/3 of the way down, you'll see where I talk about checking the default directory for Sampletank, midi channels and assigning instruments to the midi various midi channels.

This should help give a little more insight.

Also, if the standalone version is running when you try to run the VST/DXi in BIAB, that might cause some interference, too.
Kind regards,
Noel
Noel:

success.

Stage one lift-off, Able to insert an ST sound into a part in BIAB now and hear it play properly. Will need to work on understanding those channels better.

Now, how do we get the HI-Q sounds things fixed? That directory error keeps popping when trying to use HI-Q.

Thanks - good progress.

Tom
After a couple emails from support - the best suggestion was 're-install BIAB and Hi-Q." Did that yes, it fixed the new HI-Q sounds. Though my file directory screen shot sure looked like the one from support.

There are still HI-Q's from a previous install that continue to say 'not found' - but really all the sounds are there. There's a glitch in the installer I guess - files didn't register in a previous install perhaps.

Super tracks work and I can play Hi-Q sounds as well.

Thanks all. Just time to make some music finally.

Tom
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB2014 doesn't see Sampletank files - 01/09/14 02:46 AM
Great Tom, thanks for letting us know what finally resolved. As 86 would say: The old reinstall trick!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB2014 doesn't see Sampletank files - 01/09/14 03:52 AM
That's great news Tom.
© PG Music Forums