PG Music Home
Posted By: blackemmons "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 02:12 AM
I get a click at the end of all songs(BIAB 2014).

It sounds like the lead-in drumstick clicks. I have gone to the "Count In/Met" menu but see nothing there to control this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 02:52 AM
Hi,

Have you installed the latest update? (This information is found under "Help | About Band in a box". For example 2014(380) says it's version 2014 and update 380.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: blackemmons Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 03:14 AM
Noel,

Just did the 380 update thing and just tried it again.

Still clickin'.

Jim
Posted By: Mac Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 03:27 AM
Don't know for certain whether this will clear that up, but it is worth trying.

Under the Options menu inside BB, try the Second "Return to Factory Settings" button, the one that not only restores the critical intrface.bbw file, but also resets the SoundCard and MIDI via the Wizard.

You also may have to shut down BB and reboot the computer afterwards as well, this to free up resources.

--Mac
Posted By: Noel96 Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 03:56 AM
Jim,

I don't have this problem, but I have a vague recollection that I have heard it at some point in time. Just to help me get a little more insight into your set up, could you please answer the following questions.

1. What are your settings for the Count-In / Metronome?

These are found via "Prefs" (#1). Count-in/Met (#2) on the below image. The image shows my settings. Is there anything in your setup that is different from mine?

2. Do you have looping engaged?

On the image below, you can see that I have "NEVER loop entire song" selected.

3. Do you use multiple choruses?

As you can see below, on my setup, I only select a single chorus.

If you can answer the above, it will help me try and isolate what might be causing it if Mac's suggestion of returning to factory settings doesn't bring relief.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 04:31 AM
Hi Jim, You are not alone. I have this strange behavior also, I have tried factory reset, including midi, all no good. It did it with 2013 and it does it with 2014 (380). If I record to a WAV file it doesn't include it.

All my songs have loop unchecked, and all have endings. Generally all of my songs are frozen, once I get the sound I like, but that doesn't even seem to matter.

It doesn't do it always when I play the song, but it does it with many different songs. Perhaps the first few times I play the song it doesn't do it, then once it starts it does it every time. Sometimes it does it from the very first play. It's not conclusive, but it seems to be able to always do it eventually.

It even does it if I press Play From (Control-F) and play from a position near the end - every time.

Interestingly, if I use BiaB to record the output to an audio file, it doesn't do it (it's not recorded in the Wave file).

It is coming from the Drums track, as it doesn't do it if I mute the Drums, and does it again as soon as I un-mute.

It sounds just like the song intends to start again, and plays the first beat of the count-in. The delay between end of the song and that beat is several seconds, and also, the highlighted bar jumps to somewhere else, rather than staying at the last played bar. Is that what you are witnessing?

Updates, Return to factory settings, reboots, restarts etc have not resolved.

I eventually created a video screen capture showing the phenomena and sent to PG Support. They have passed it on as a reported issue.

Here is the original thread

I recommend that you may wish to report also though. It would be beneficial for them to know that it may not be an isolated case.

Regards
Trevor
Posted By: 1manband Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 05:06 AM
I seem to recall experiencing this years ago when I tried to use 2-bar endings; sometimes it would be a drum sound and once in a while a piano note. When I stopped using BIAB's endings and began making my own, the problem went away. Not sure if this is the same issue, but it might be worth checking out.
Posted By: Tony Wright Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 12:50 PM
This happens to me all the time but it is not a click but a quick "blip" that is all the instruments sounding at once. It only happens with RT's not MIDI. I have diagnosed that it is the sound card in my computer "switching off"

I have mentioned it several times on this forum and tried everything that has been suggested - nothing works. I even sent a file to PG support and they couldn't hear the blip. As a workaround, I extend all songs by about 10 bars which gives me time to press my foot switch after the song finishes and before the blip. The foot switch is programmed with the spacebar which stops the song and prevents the blip.

Tony
Posted By: blackemmons Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 02:36 PM
Noel96,

1. Mine looks the same.
2. No looping engaged
3. No multiple chouruse

VideoTrack,

I upgraded from ver. 2009 and it was not an issue until I got BIAB2014.

It does it on every song including when I do the Play From thing(which is much slower to start “From” than 2009 was)

My “click” comes just after the end of the song. The highlighted bar flashes in the next bar to the last bar of the song. Click/flash at the same time.

1manband,

I do not use the “two bar ending” thing. I do use “Tag Exists”.

PS: I don’t know if it has anything to do with this “click” thing, but this 2014 version is really slow compared to my 2009 version.

I just timed it this time when I started the program and it took 2 minutes and 8 seconds.

The “play from” but also seems to take forever most of the time. Sometimes if I double click on the bar I want to start from it will be quicker.

Also, songs will sometimes take what seems forever to load and at other times not so much.

Also, it is normal to always have a part marker and the last chord of the song in the bar just after the last bar of the song? I thought maybe that was the problem but if I remove them save the song, reload the song……………they are still there.

At this point I’m not sure it was worth the nearly $200 to upgrade. There seem to be a few quirks that should have been addressed before issuing but I’ll keep working on it until all of my 70 year old hair falls out. smirk

Really appreciate the help.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 03:05 PM
I hear the click many times as well, and have not isolated the cause. To me, it sounds like the first beat of a count-in and is only on the drum track.

The behavior of the final part marker is normal.

Your program does take too long to load. Tell us if you are running an antivirus program and which one. Tell us about your OS - is it Windows XP or 7 or 8.1? 32 or 64 bit?

Download and run the free utility Geekbench and report your score so we have a sense of your machine's power.

Did you install BIAB to the /Program Files folder (either one, if running 64-bit)? This is a known problem.

Ps it might be a good idea to start a new thread entitled "2014 takes too long to load" or some such. In my opinion, this is not related to the click. Give us as much info as you can, starting with the answers to my questions. A new thread would get you better attention for this problem.
Posted By: Mac Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 03:47 PM
I experienced the sound of the Drum countin click at end of songs sometimes with ver2012 and to a lesser amount with ver2013.

With the release of 2014, haven't heard it yet.

Here's a cou0les of questions for all who have that annoying sound at end of songs:

*Are you using ASIO or MME audio driver when it happens?

*Does it happen with both, or perhaps only with one, or more times with one than the other?

This may also have something to do with the type, brand and model of sound device in use, too, I'm thinking differences in the way drivers may handle things.

--Mac
Posted By: Rachael Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 03:53 PM
I found that using an external synth allows the mysterious click to surface. If you are using an external synth, try switching a software synth. BIAB supplies two with the software, both by Roland.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 04:41 PM
To Mac: I've used both MME and ASIO drivers in BIAB and have not noticed a difference with regard to the ending click (bang) on the drum track from RealDrums.

To Rachael: I use an external MIDI synth (Roland Fantom XR) and an external audio device (Tascam FW-1884). The Tascam is also a mixer (and a control surface for DAW processing) so I don't want to give it up.
Posted By: musiclover Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 05:51 PM
I seem to have a slightly different problem but maybe related to the above.

At first bar of song if I type C..g (so that only the first bar of song is played with example guitar no drums) after the two bar count-in I hear the drum on the first beat of first bar of the song.

In other words the drum is playing on first beat of first bar even though its supposed to be muted. Using vsc and latest update 380 on widnows 7 32 bit.

Musiclover
Posted By: Del3535 Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 06:22 PM
Hello Everyone;

This mysterious "click" 'bang' or whatever has been happening to me as well, but as I am a "newbie" to BIAB (first purchase Dec. 2013)I thought that I was doing or setting up something incorrectly.

But, now it appears that there is something amiss with the system/program???

It seems to be only with the RealTracks, but I am not that well versed with using all the different parts of BIAB so it could be happening elsewhere.

I am using BIAB Ultra 2014 if that makes a difference.

Thanks for posting this informative posting.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 06:34 PM
As the other posts indicate, we have been around this topic a few times over a few versions. It hasn't (to my knowledge) been solved because it does not happen for everyone and must therefore be dependent on individual installations. I had assumed it was related to the Count-in/Metronome and Loop settings, but now I'm not sure.

If any others who do experience this click/bang can post what they use as discussed above, perhaps we will discover the common cause. Tony, Rachael and Mac have made suggestions as to things you can check.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 06:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Mac
I experienced the sound of the Drum countin click at end of songs sometimes with ver2012 and to a lesser amount with ver2013.

With the release of 2014, haven't heard it yet.

Here's a cou0les of questions for all who have that annoying sound at end of songs:

*Are you using ASIO or MME audio driver when it happens?

*Does it happen with both, or perhaps only with one, or more times with one than the other?

This may also have something to do with the type, brand and model of sound device in use, too, I'm thinking differences in the way drivers may handle things.

--Mac

I'm using MME, and external synth for some sounds (not drums), although this didn't seem to matter.

Sometimes (but very rarely), I have heard two beats, but most often I get one.

It sounds exactly the same as the first count-in beat of tapping drum sticks together. I've never heard any other sound.

I'm always using Real Drums, although I suspect the count-in is not part of "Real Drums", but rather is generated using midi or similar?
Posted By: Rachael Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 07:08 PM
As you can see, this has been around for a while. I thought Peter addressed it at some point and said the extra click was, in fact, the drum track starting over again by mistake.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads...true#Post114488
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads...true#Post100943
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads...=true#Post88488
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads...true#Post133567
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 07:20 PM
Thanks Rachael for your excellent detective work.

I have reported to PGM, but it seems that they might have known about this already for some time.

Anyway, I suggested that anybody observing this might consider reporting to PGM. The squeaky wheel...
Posted By: raymb1 Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 07:53 PM
Using "C.", I only hear the reverb. Using "C..", I hear a stop with nothing after the last note. Using "C...", I hear a held note and then nothing. My count-ins are silent, just a visual count-in. Don't know if that makes a difference. Later, Ray
Posted By: Mac Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/10/14 08:41 PM
That may yield a clue, Ray.

Those experiencing the click might test it by changing to only Visual Countin and then see if the click is still there or not.

--Mac
Posted By: rharv Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/11/14 02:54 AM
I haven't experienced it in BiaB, yet my instinct says 'buffer unload'.
Likely induced by driver/system combinations and hard to isolate. But that's just a guess.
Most likely my fault. wink

Buffer dump has been the issue the few times I *have* experienced this with RB. I've never seen it in BiaB though. Then again I spend much more time in RB than BiaB.
In RB I've seen it both at the end of songs and when I stop a song (before the end) and restart it right away. However, in these instances, I can usually track it back to an isolated FX plugin being used. The plugin gets stopped with it's buffer still holding data, and empties it suddenly. This may be another clue.

/Not isolated to a single plugin; seems to be a plugin/system combination event
Posted By: raymb1 Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/11/14 04:11 AM
Just tried a file with audible count-in. No extra click on C., C.., or C... Last measure works as it's supposed to. Later, Ray
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/11/14 04:25 AM
Bob, it takes a big man to accept the blame even when you don't use the program much! I think we can let you off the hook on this one.

Question: if it is a buffer emptying, wouldn't that cause more randomly timed problems that what we hear, which for many is always at the same place: the first beat of what could be a count-in to the next chorus?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/11/14 04:27 AM
I don't think it's at all related to shots or holds in the chord structure.

I find it doesn't do it predictably. It may not do it for several songs, and then it just starts doing it at the end of a song. Go back and play a previous one that played fine, and it does it on that now too.

It's related to the BiaB "Session" rather than the particular song. Shutdown Biab and restart, it may not do it again (for a while).
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/11/14 04:55 AM
Trevor, that's an interesting hypothesis. Whenever I start BIAB, it stays on for hours. Next time I hear a click/bang, I will restart.
Posted By: blackemmons Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/12/14 10:17 PM
From what I can see, this issue is way out of my league and not unique to me. I just use the basics with BIAB. I will just set back and wait for more input and see if anything works. I'm old and not techy.

Most all the songs I do end with a one or two bar hold and then the off chord thing with a single dot. That's when it happens. Haven't tried any other ending.

I did seem to cure some of the slowness of loading and I think(hope) some of the workings slowness. I did as someone suggested. That being, telling my antivirus program to ignore the C:\bb folder.

Both of these problems were not an issue with my BIAB 2009 for some reason.

I really do appriciate the help.

JimE
Posted By: blackemmons Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 01/13/14 01:39 AM
After I read a whole bunch of related threads, I tried a couple of the suggestion and here are the results.

If I turn off the "Audible Lead-In" and just do a visual lead-in .............. no "click".

If I turn the "Audible Lead-In" back on and change the "Lead-In Type", I get whatever I change it to. For example, if I change it to "A Pattern Then Fill", I get the first beat of that pattern for the last "click/noise".

I guess that boils it down to a problem with the "Count-in/Met??

JimE
Posted By: Ashley U Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 12/03/20 05:22 PM
I don't know how many are still having this issue as this seems to be an older thread. I am using the 2020 version of BIAB and the end click is still there
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 12/03/20 05:57 PM
Welcome to the forum.

It's an older thread, yes. I had forgotten about that issue.

Questions: do you have looping on for your song? And do you use the default song count-in?

Posted By: VintageGibson Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 12/03/20 10:51 PM
I have a similar issue with RealDrums Tambourines.
There is a click that I have to delete at the end of a hold in most but not all of the tambourines.

I reported this to PGM 3 or 4 years ago and was told it would be fixed in the next RealTracks/RealDrums update.
It's still in 2021!

Vintage
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 12/03/20 11:03 PM
It still does it for me on my 2020 system but is far more pronounced if I use an external hardware synth. I now use a VSTi as it is less pronounced, but nevertheless annoying that it occurs. It does appear to come directly from BiaB because the VU meter on the Drum Track shows the output. I haven't updated that system to 2021 but I expect it will be there still.

I did report it directly to the developers, including a video of the issue. They mentioned they would investigate. Nothing happened so far to my knowledge.
Posted By: Ashley U Re: "CLICK" at end of song. - 12/04/20 04:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Welcome to the forum.

It's an older thread, yes. I had forgotten about that issue.

Questions: do you have looping on for your song? And do you use the default song count-in?

Thanks for the welcome. I am not using any looping. I have tried several options with the count in and nothing has worked. I use BIAB in a live setting so often the click goes unnoticed at the end of a song due to applause, ambient noise, etc. It's really more of an annoyance than a major bug. I was just wondering since this issue seems to have existed for some time now, why PG Music hasn't addressed it.
© PG Music Forums