PG Music Home
Posted By: tributeman symphonic string section - 02/07/14 04:29 PM
Ive just finished writing a song and need a laid back string section for the second verse just to lift it up a bit would appreciate any help on this Cheers Frankie
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: symphonic string section - 02/07/14 05:29 PM
sometimes a synth pad will work in that situation. There are some pads in RB.
Posted By: dcuny Re: symphonic string section - 02/07/14 06:35 PM
Do you have the part (as MIDI) and you're looking for a better instrument to play it, or are you starting from scratch and have nothing on that track right now?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: symphonic string section - 02/07/14 07:22 PM
Yes, we need some more detail to give a good answer. In addition to the above, can you share what kind of song (style) you are doing?

Also, can you define "laid back string section"? Strings by definition take a moment to 'sound' and have the volume swell to build up. I think you will get that effect on most string patches, particularly if you are running a slow tempo.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: symphonic string section - 02/07/14 09:16 PM
If you have BB2014 there are good strings in the Bonuspak that came with it.
HTH
Ian
Posted By: tributeman Re: symphonic string section - 02/08/14 11:45 AM
To all thanks very much sorry Im late coming back...its a slow Gospel even 66 speed just piano and bass need that background lift on the second verse..Dcuny ..nothing on the track right now bass and piano are RTs
Sixchannel.. will take a look at that thanks
Guitarhacker.. I thought a synth pad might be the answer but was hoping for real string section...Matt just a background feel all the way through is what Im looking for
Posted By: 90 dB Re: symphonic string section - 02/08/14 01:50 PM
Originally Posted By: tributeman
To all thanks very much sorry Im late coming back...its a slow Gospel even 66 speed just piano and bass need that background lift on the second verse..Dcuny ..nothing on the track right now bass and piano are RTs
Sixchannel.. will take a look at that thanks
Guitarhacker.. I thought a synth pad might be the answer but was hoping for real string section...Matt just a background feel all the way through is what Im looking for

Frankie -

What DAW are you using? I like to sequence my own string parts (in Sonar). Much more realistic than string pads. Garritan Aria has nice strings, as does the new SI Strings in Sonar X3.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: tributeman Re: symphonic string section - 02/08/14 02:43 PM
Hi Bob Just bought the Tacam DP-24 so havent dug deep into it yet.
Posted By: tributeman Re: symphonic string section - 02/08/14 02:46 PM
Also got an old but quite good keyboard Yamaha PSR-620 which hasnt got bad strings if I have to use it when I d\load it on to the 24 track but was hoping BIAB had the strings I was looking for
Posted By: Mac Re: symphonic string section - 02/08/14 02:57 PM
Quote:

The MIDI Track Picker adds a MIDI track from a different style to the current song.
For example, add a Strings track from a Bossa style to the Strings track of your current song. Open the dialog and
choose a Band-in-a-Box track. Then choose the style and the source track that you want to add.

To see a full description with screenshots, step by step, open the Help inside BB by selecting the Help menu -> Topic Search.

Then enter "Strings" into the LH search pane and hit the List Topics button.

Scroll down that list and find, MIDI Track Picker.

Doubleclick on MIDI Track Picker to view the good stuff on RH side large window.

Adding the Strings from any Style as a separate track is easy to do. Worth revisiting and auditioning strings from a few different styles that may seem to match your project's tempo and fell until you get "just the right one".

The above saves you from having to "roll your own" strings parts and takes advantage of the fact that the Strings parts in the already existing styles were developed by the experts on the pgmusic staff.

--Mac
Posted By: 90 dB Re: symphonic string section - 02/08/14 02:58 PM
Originally Posted By: tributeman
Also got an old but quite good keyboard Yamaha PSR-620 which hasnt got bad strings if I have to use it when I d\load it on to the 24 track but was hoping BIAB had the strings I was looking for

Have you tried the String Quartet in 2014? It's quite good.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: dcuny Re: symphonic string section - 02/08/14 04:44 PM
As others have suggested, the String Quartet Real Track would be my first approach.

If that doesn't work and you've got a MIDI part but aren't happy with your strings, I could render it for you. I've got a number of string libraries that might work for you. I'll PM you my email address.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: symphonic string section - 02/08/14 04:57 PM
Do I remember correctly that the string quartet was in the Bonus 12 pak?
Posted By: tributeman Re: symphonic string section - 02/08/14 09:42 PM
Ive got the synthpad 1543 and it seems to work ok but its not really what Im looking for....Thanks Mac that has actually worked for other songs Ive written didnt think of it for this oneI will give it a try..

David really appreciate it will look out for your PM..Bob and Matt tried the quartet didnt seem to fit the song but thanks anyway..Ive just had a quick listen to the strings on my PSR 620 and it sounds not to bad if a I fail on the others I might try that
Posted By: cubanpete Re: symphonic string section - 02/08/14 11:24 PM
I think you're right on that Matt.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: symphonic string section - 02/09/14 08:38 AM
I noticed that you have a Sound Blaster installed. Have you tried any Soundfonts?
Posted By: Flatfoot Re: symphonic string section - 02/10/14 07:10 AM
Many of the styles provide a strings part in the B section. These also kick in automatically on the second verse of songs using those styles. Try a few different styles until you find one that has this feature. Then find some more.

PLEASE EXPLAIN: Do you want BiaB to write the notes for a string section in the second verse?

OR...

Do you want to locate voices of a certain quality to play the notes of a string part that you have already written?

Posted By: tributeman Re: symphonic string section - 02/10/14 03:27 PM
Hi FF,dont need notes..write it direct on to BIAB then send it down to my DAW where I can do the mix and master..Ive just listened to my yamaha PSR-620 and Ive played about with the strings on there and they sound ok so i might use them..thanks for your help and also to all the others on here
© PG Music Forums