PG Music Home
Posted By: Bob_B How to retain specific bass lines? - 07/30/14 01:45 PM
I was working on Scofield's "Groove Elation" the other day and realized that I didn't know how to enter a specific bass line in BIAB. My limited knowledge base says in BIAB the bass line is set by the style. So, anything written to that track will be erased immediately upon hitting generate and play.

What I did was enter the Groove Elation bass riff for the bass and froze the track. This worked and the bass lick was maintained; however, I lost any further bass that BIAB would have otherwise generated throughout the remainder of the song. Luckily, I was using a style with an organ that substituted well enough for the missing bass.

So, my question is simple: what is the best way to enter a specific bass line in BIAB?

Thanks for the help.

Best wishes,

Bob
Posted By: rharv Re: How to retain specific bass lines? - 07/31/14 01:24 AM
Explore Realband when you want to get this much control.

It's included free with BiaB!
Once i start getting 'close' with a song and starting to think about keeping certain parts, I move the file to RB where there is much more intuitive control over the tracks.

I am sure you could open that same BiaB file in RB and generate further measures of bass using the same style. Without affecting any other tracks.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: How to retain specific bass lines? - 07/31/14 01:38 AM
Bob, you can also stay in BIAB by copying the bass part to either the Melody or Soloist track. They are not regenerated like the bass part is. You could mute (with F5) either track as needed to go between 'your' bass and the generated part.
Posted By: Bob_B Re: How to retain specific bass lines? - 08/01/14 01:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Bob, you can also stay in BIAB by copying the bass part to either the Melody or Soloist track. They are not regenerated like the bass part is. You could mute (with F5) either track as needed to go between 'your' bass and the generated part.

Thanks Matt. I'll try that.

Bob
© PG Music Forums