PG Music Home
Posted By: Wyndham Q? about part markers - 08/20/14 07:02 PM
Is there a setting that allows the part markers to stay where they are on the line & bar and not shift to the left and start a new line?
I am planning several part marker in close proximity and didn't want a long set of short chords, line after line.
Thanks
Wyndham
Posted By: GHinCH Re: Q? about part markers - 08/20/14 07:39 PM
See <Opt.><Preferences>, select Display (! You must do this !). On the new pop-up window very close to the bottom it has a check box for: New line for every section (part marker). Uncheck this box.

Guido
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Q? about part markers - 08/20/14 08:10 PM
What Guido said. Also, there are a few internal (undocumented, I think) rules about this, including a minimum number of bars per line regardless of that setting. I forget what the rule is, but do some experiments. If you don't get what you want, make a request in the Wishlist for more control.
Posted By: soolan Re: Q? about part markers - 08/20/14 09:12 PM
If I recall it's a 2 bar limit.
Posted By: Wyndham Re: Q? about part markers - 08/21/14 02:06 AM
Thanks, that works fine.
Wyndham
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Q? about part markers - 08/21/14 02:08 AM
Yes, you can disable it for a single song (song settings button, or menu edit- song settings ) or all songs (prefs display).
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Q? about part markers - 08/21/14 02:11 AM
The feature is intended to function like paragraphs in a document, where you get new sections on a new line. In most songs, it helps to see the structure of the song.

For example, a song with a 1 bar intro and 4 sections of 8 bars each. Without the feature of a new line for each section, it is hard to recognize that the form is as above. With the feature you see the 4 sections of 8 bars clearly.
Posted By: soolan Re: Q? about part markers - 08/21/14 12:36 PM
To Peter Gannon

A chance to speak to the "boss". You're a genius. Many thanks for BIAB.
Posted By: Wyndham Re: Q? about part markers - 08/21/14 08:57 PM
The song I am working on is Lenard Cohen's "Suzanne" which needs some emphasis mid way into each line
"Suzanne[E] leads you down, to her place by the river
You[A] can hear the boats go by,you can spend the night together"
So I placed a part market at "to[E]" in the first line and "You[A]" in the next line to to give something extra in the style.
Is there a better way other than just adding a repeat chord at the bar?
one of several styles that work in Bo Ballad
Wyndham
© PG Music Forums