PG Music Home
Posted By: soolan CSV & OpenOffice - 08/21/14 04:07 PM
In Stylepicker, I selected CSV, next I used OpenOffice to open the file and after trial and error found this setting to be perfect. Including 2 screenshots.

(1) the setting to use for OpenOffice
(2) a view of the spreadsheet.
PS: the CSV is 2 Megs, saving in Excel 97 is also 2 Megs, however saving it in ODS format is only 1 Meg.

Enjoy

Attached picture CSV.jpg
Attached picture CSV_1.jpg
Posted By: rharv Re: CSV & OpenOffice - 08/22/14 12:21 AM
I think I know when this happened (could be wrong), and it is an interesting aspect.
There are other things we can tinker with using these types of files (as well as config files and others) that can be pretty cool to some users. You need to fall into the 'geek' status (at a minimum) to enjoy though. I'm more familiar with RB tricks like this, so I appreciate the heads up on a BiaB one.
Posted By: GHinCH Re: CSV & OpenOffice - 08/22/14 07:08 PM
Open office programs don't have as much file organizational data as the Microsoft counter part. On the other hand the Microsoft programs still offer more capabilities. There are some things Open Office cannot do, like marginalia that follow the paragraph they belong to when editing as in word. (Last time I checked that about two years ago. But I doubt they have implemented that in the meantime). There is more that Open Office cannot do, given that many people will never need these features. And not to sound Open Office bashing, there are some features that make programs from Quark and Adobe a superior choice for even more sophisticated usages.

In general, Open Offfice is sufficient for most applications.
Posted By: soolan Re: CSV & OpenOffice - 08/22/14 07:24 PM
I agree with what you're saying. However ....I chose not to reinstall MS Office when OpenOffice came with this computer. About the only app that I now use is the Spreadsheet and was surprised that OpenOffice offered in "save" files in a variety of Excel formats.

So I had been saving in Excel 97 when I decided to save CSV in both Excel 97 and ODS and saw a diff of 1 Meg smaller (ODS) and thought I would pass that info on (to other OpenOffice users). Thanks for replying. Always interesting.
© PG Music Forums