PG Music Home
Greetings,

I have a HP AMD Laptop with 16GB RAM, I installed a Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD as my main drive. I was so impressed by the speed and performance that I just purchased another. I have it in a USB3 Inatek case. I put the RTs and RDs on the External, hoping to lower the Generation & Render times.

My main SSD has been tested in Roadkil Disk speed as read y write around 530mb per second. HOWEVER, for some reason, the External drive, which is the exact same model, tests out at about 135mb per second. Load times for RTs are slower than on my previous 5,400rpm drive.

Does anyone have info on why my external would be so pathetically slow......???
Thanks,
Edward
You have a USB 3 case (I assume that's what that means), but does your laptop have a USB 3.0 port? If not, you are limited to USB 2 throughput speed regardless of what type of drive is connected.
Another way is take the DVD drive out and put it in a USB case then get a SATA DVD bay hard drive case (provided the HP has a SATA connection on the DVD slot) there is just 1 screw holding it in under the HP where the DVD drive ends, then it will just slide out.

Similarly, I have my external SSD on a Black-X SATA external adapter. Screams.
Hey Matt,

Yes, I do have a USB 3 port, my read y write speed is about 135mbps, which is FAR below the rated 540mbps of my internal drive, they are both the same model.
Could you please give me more info on your case, I'd like to check it out.

Thanks,
Ed
© PG Music Forums