PG Music Home
Posted By: Beachboy Master VU Meter - 09/13/14 02:38 AM
Is the "Master" VU on the mixer window, really a clipping indicator or just an ornamental display? For example it "clips" (red display) even when you have a "Peak Limiter" on the combo track (I assume controlling all the instrument levels). The peak limiter indicates no clipping while the "Master VU" happily bounces along "in the red". smirk
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Master VU Meter - 09/18/14 02:53 PM
Beachboy:

I can't find any info in BIAB 2014 on your question.
I would check with PG Music using their "Live Help" button at the top of this page.

Good luck!
LLOYD S
Posted By: Beachboy Re: Master VU Meter - 09/19/14 06:53 AM
Hi Lloyd S,
Thanks for the reply.
I usually post and wait before going to PG Support, they are always very helpful and I'm guessing they're busy enough, but have now done so.
Again, appreciate your help.
Thanks
Col smile
PS I note I can "squash" the signal very hard to stop it moving "into the red" on the VU, but I'm guessing the colors are more of a guide then genuine clipping, we'll see what support says.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Master VU Meter - 09/19/14 01:09 PM
BeachBoy,

You've asked a very interesting question. I hope you will share the answer with us once you have a response.
Posted By: jccooper Re: Master VU Meter - 09/19/14 03:01 PM
I've used the search engine and can't seem to find out why the VuMeter on my PowerTracks 2012 has disappeared. I've clicked on all the right buttons and tried to check the show vumeter in the window box and have even uninstalled and reinstalled Powertracks 2012. I run it on a stand alone studio computer that does not have internet access.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Master VU Meter - 09/19/14 04:09 PM
JC

You may want to post your issue in the PowerTracks thread or contact PG Support. Band-in-a-Box and PowerTracks differ greatly from each other. You may find more people familar with PowerTracks in the PowerTracks thread.
Posted By: Beachboy Re: Master VU Meter - 09/21/14 08:10 AM
Well, PG support (Kent) we're brilliant as usual.

BIAB doesn't clip because it has a Peak Limiter built into the signal chain.

So seeing the VU go into the red does not mean clipping but at some stage the signal in that "red zone" will get "squashed" to prevent clipping.

The development team is going to get back to me with a bit more info later, I will post further answers here.

Col
© PG Music Forums