PG Music Home
I have programmed several songs since getting BIAB2014. When I play them back through the computer, they play back just fine. But when I connect the computer to my amp, the songs often pause for a second, then restart where they left off. I describe this as a hiccup for lack of a better word. I'm guessing it may be something in settings not right, or perhaps with the output on my computer. Any suggestions?
Originally Posted By: John F
I have programmed several songs since getting BIAB2014. When I play them back through the computer, they play back just fine. But when I connect the computer to my amp, the songs often pause for a second, then restart where they left off. I describe this as a hiccup for lack of a better word. I'm guessing it may be something in settings not right, or perhaps with the output on my computer. Any suggestions?

Can you give a little more information about how you connect the computer to your amp?
What is the interface?
What do you connect to on the computer?
What type of amp?
What type of computer?

Does the pause occur regularly throughout the song, or only at the start, etc?
I connect with a 3mm jack cord from headphone out on the computer to aux in on the amp. I run Windows 8. The amp is a Roland 30x. No interface. It seems to happen once or twice for each song. Does not hiccup when no amp is connected.
That connection should work. I would suspect either your patch cord or one of the jacks. Try cleaning the jacks by plugging the cord in and out a few times, on both jacks.
Check that the plug that goes into the headphone jack is a stereo plug, then you'll need an stereo to mono adapter to go to the amp. Later, Ray
Originally Posted By: raymb1
Check that the plug that goes into the headphone jack is a stereo plug, then you'll need an stereo to mono adapter to go to the amp. Later, Ray

I believe that they're both stereo plugs Ray.
Most amps won't take a stereo plug. A stereo plug in a mono input could cause intermittent play. On my gigs, I use a stereo plug into my laptop headphone out, to a stereo- to-mono adapter, to a 1/4" mono guitar cord, to my amp. Later, Ray
Is the computer a laptop or notebook? If so are you operating under battery power while connected to the amp? If so, check your power settings in Windows. The cpu maybe throttled to reduce power consumption.

You could also have a bad chassis ground connection causing one machine to seek earth ground from the other through the interconnecting audio cable.
Does it 'hiccup' if you play some other media into your amp, e.g. play a song on a CD on the computer which is connected to the amp? Or is it only BiaB?

What's interesting is that you mentioned a 'Pause' and then the song continued. A bad connection would cause a drop-out, but not a pause.

If it is a laptop, does it do this with the mains power cord disconnected?
Have you got a ground pin on the power lead of the amp.
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I did not mention that I was using my laptop on battery power for no other reason than the fact that I didn't have a nearby power supply. I'm thinking that may be it. As for other auxiliary units like cd's and mp3 players, I haven't tried them, but if I don't get better results by plugging in to the wall and checking the cable, I'll get back to you...Thanks again.
Are you having some technical problems or having indigestion?
Originally Posted By: raymb1
Most amps won't take a stereo plug. A stereo plug in a mono input could cause intermittent play. On my gigs, I use a stereo plug into my laptop headphone out, to a stereo- to-mono adapter, to a 1/4" mono guitar cord, to my amp. Later, Ray

This Aux In is a stereo plug. I have the Cube Street version of this series.

"... AUX IN Jack (Stereo miniature phone type)..."

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/822/specs/

I think the battery powered laptop might be the answer.

Regards,

Bob
I think the 'pause' might be caused by not being able to stream the rendered audio from hard drive quickly enough, but that doesn't explain why it only does it with the amp connected as stated by the O/P.

Maybe it does it all the time, but is more noticeable when listening through the amp speakers, rather than the laptop speakers.
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
I think the 'pause' might be caused by not being able to stream the rendered audio from hard drive quickly enough, but that doesn't explain why it only does it with the amp connected as stated by the O/P.

Maybe it does it all the time, but is more noticeable when listening through the amp speakers, rather than the laptop speakers.

I do the same thing all the time when we're busking, and have never had a gitch. Very puzzling.
John,

Have you defrag'd your hard drive lately?

I had some 'stuttering' occurring during playback of my songs recently and a defrag cured it.

If playback requires that the disk has to work hard to gather all the bits of a file because it's spread across diverse locations, this can create the effect you are hearing.

Regards,
Noel
Yes to the ground pin. I just tried plugging the computer into the wall instead of running on battery power and that solved the problem. Might want to put this in the archive. It's always something stupid, ya? blush
Are you having a technical problem or indigestion?!

Please use appropriate terminology...........

Thanks,

BBB
BBB,

I'm pretty sure that everyone who helped John understood what he was saying. I know I certainly did.

I've assisted a few people in these forums and I've found that often the best and most easily understood descriptions of a problem are the ones that are the least technical.

Kind regards,
Noel
So.... does the pause come at the exact moment the jack is plugged in or randomly throughout the playback?

I have noticed that some of my musical devices pause when that jack in plugged in. Some of them stop when it goes in or out. The computer and my phone can detect when the jack is plugged in or removed. My phone is one that stops playing totally on the insertion or removal of the jack. I think my lappy pauses.
It's interesting Herb, because the O/P implies that the pause is not related to the insertion or removal of the plug, it's related to whether the laptop is connected to an external amp or not, and "happens once or twice per song".

I'm still having difficulty in determining technically what could cause the 'pause'. The O/P states it's not a sound dropout, it's a pause... and then the playing continues.

The pause would almost certainly have to come from the source (the program), and would not buffered by the sound sub-system in the computer.

There's a lot of information missing, including does this only happen with BIAB or do other sound applications also do the same thing. This question was asked of the O/P, but no answer.

Trevor
Yup... pauses in the playback are often the result of buffering in the sound card..... and that isn't related to the device the soundcard out is connected to whether it's headphones studio speakers or something else..... they are on the other side of the output amp in the card.
© PG Music Forums