PG Music Home
Posted By: Wyndham best way to make loops? - 10/01/14 05:08 PM
I've got an audio wav file of guitar playing that is not consistent but has several spot on parts.
I was going to use the wav file for a backing track but an thinking about looping instead.
Is there a "Best Practices" thought on how to make a loop that will be smooth on the chord transitions and not chopy
I haven't worked with loops except to try out a few I downloaded so no real experience.
Thanks Wyndham
Posted By: seeker Re: best way to make loops? - 10/01/14 05:34 PM
Wyndham,

I too have some interest, based on extensive libraries already own.
Have not gone down this path "Yet".

Just went over to the Video library PG has.
http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

Down on the bottom line of intermediate is "Acid Loops" video.

Have not seen it..

Have listened to some of the loop demo's in the Sytle Browser,
thats about it...

Good luck!
Posted By: solidrock Re: best way to make loops? - 10/01/14 10:42 PM
Also: http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_loops.htm
Posted By: Wyndham Re: best way to make loops? - 10/01/14 11:51 PM
I've seen several vids, but I was hoping for some first hand experience of where beginners in loops get into trouble.
Wyndham
Posted By: rharv Re: best way to make loops? - 10/02/14 12:06 AM
I'd suspect initial editing to be a sore point.
Be as exact as you can on including the exact amount of samples (time) as possible .. yet make each edit cross the zero line (or close) to avoid any clicks/pops when the loops actually, um, 'loop'.

Once this basic looping understanding is accomplished, then it comes down to pitch change and tempo issues.

You want to loop the first click (in a given measure) of an audio file to the last click of the desired ending measure. If loops aren't edited correctly they get out of time successively. By that I mean if the loop is one click off, that one click adds up each time it is played. By measure 30 you are in trouble.

That's a lot of what makes RT's so impressive. Not only is the recording done, but then a multitude of loop marker options are correctly applied. It's a lot of work to get one 'right'.
© PG Music Forums