PG Music Home
Posted By: Leon Carpenter BIAB-Sound Reinforcement? - 10/06/14 05:19 PM
Not a lot of post concerning what does and does not do justice to Band In A Box. I have used a few including a 808s Mackie powered mixer/WharfeDale 12's, OSC K12's/Allen and Heath 10fx mixer. I wanted some thing versatile enough for a small club e.tc., plus easy to change to Big Screen Tv. The HK Nano does exactly that. Google it and you will expect less than promised. Not so. Three channels/Sub/Record Out/Line or Link Out/, Mike or Mixer select/,Guitar or Mixer(L or R)select , Aux. In with control. Tone control on all channels, Pan control, Sub control. The speaker system consists of 2 satellite speakers + a decent sub. Mike stands are needed to move and raise the satellite speakers. I have used this for two months and could not be more pleased. I also have a TC Helicon Harmony Singer for my vocals. This will give a programed mix of compression/E.Q for vocals, + 3 reverbs/Harmony mix and 8 different harmony's. @ $699.00 list for the HK Nano and 27 pounds total weight, it is excellent. And the normal dribble, as in, I do not represent this company bla bla bla.--------Leon
Posted By: Ryszard Re: BIAB-Sound Reinforcement? - 10/07/14 11:12 AM
Leon, that's the best implementation of a dedicated SR system since one used by Brutish user Skyline, from whom we have not heard in quite some time. I especially like the bit about its weighing only 27 pounds. Keep us apprised of how this works for you, particularly audience responses.

Regards,
Richard
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: BIAB-Sound Reinforcement? - 10/07/14 10:17 PM
Check out this thread:

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=264044#Post264044

Not a lot of interest here but on Keyboard Corner it's generating a lot of interest. Just read what I wrote about it.

Bob
Posted By: Leon Carpenter Re: BIAB-Sound Reinforcement? - 10/09/14 03:34 AM
Ryszard, It is loud enough for a small club, as in Eagles, VFW, American Legion. In other words where they still let us old folks play. What I like is this, with the Harmony Singer's (magic button) so to speak, It sounds great as is. Band In Box is better than I have heard it before. The audience has no trouble hearing the HK Nano. You can add another Nano or another system if needed. Let me say this I can carry The complete HK Nano system and My Phil Jones Suitcase Compact Bass Amp in the trunk of the BMW Z3 and still have room for a mike and stand + a small gear bag. I repeat,27 lbs. I like it a lot.------Leon
Posted By: Leon Carpenter Re: BIAB-Sound Reinforcement? - 10/09/14 03:56 AM
jazzmammal, That is interesting. After using my QSC K 12's for a while I became tiered of the overkill in a small club. Carry in, set up, sound checks, do the required time, Then do the above in reverse at each gig. Let's not forget our choice of instrument/instruments bass amps heads that weigh 60+ lbs. And how much do we spend for all of this, compared to what we make it home with. Only a musician reasons like that IMHO. SO, I started over, compact and efficient as in HK Nano and Phil Jones suitcase Compact + Compact Four Cab. The BIGGGG gear is packed away and collecting dust.------Leon
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: BIAB-Sound Reinforcement? - 10/17/14 01:46 PM
Leon, go back to that thread about the Spacestation. I went to their studio yesterday and wound up in the next promotion video plus I now own one. It's really nice.

Bob
Posted By: Leon Carpenter Re: BIAB-Sound Reinforcement? - 10/18/14 09:27 PM
jazzmammal, I did watch some of the video's again. And find that his system could work for a duo or a single act. Aspen did mention the use of and inexpensive sub? More information on that would be interesting. For a keyboard player,yes. Keep me posted on your video at Aspen's studio. I like the 27 pound HK Nano more than I thought possible.------Leon
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: BIAB-Sound Reinforcement? - 10/20/14 11:01 PM
The sub he's using he said he bought for $50 at a thrift store. It's a KLH home theater 10". My SK1 has a a "M Bass" button that kicks in the bass pedal drawbars and when I did that this little sub started crapping out. He and I both agreed if someone is playing organ bass like that they need a real pro sub not this little thing. But for anything else including piano and other instruments that KLH sub sounded pretty good. Also there's nothing wrong with using a full powered PA speaker as a sub. "Sub" is misleading, the sub out from the SS is actually full range. If you really want more detail about all this go to the Keyboard Corner thread here:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2602284/Head_s_up_SpaceStation_keyboar#Post2602284

Aspen started posting and answering detailed questions on page 7. The big deal for me is this box really gives a full stereo sound out of a single amp and it projects that stereo image throughout the room not just in the little sweet spot you get from two speakers on stage.

He just put up two vids from that session and is apparently working on more because the primary reason he stated for the new series of vids was to demonstrate a better sounding acoustic piano which is why he bought a new Casio Px5s and brought in Al Marotta to play it. That one isn't up and anything I did isn't up either although I will say I was just a potential customer who came over to try it out, he said he's going to use some of what I did but we'll see. This was really Al's show.

Bob
© PG Music Forums