PG Music Home
Posted By: Lloyd S Entering a (say) Fadd9 chord. - 10/11/14 03:50 PM
I ran into another chord problem.
The chord I was looking for is in the "Izzy" version of Somewhere over the Rainbow, and is described as

Fadd9

I could find it readily on the 'net.

http://www.jamplay.com/tools/guitar-chords/1-standard/6-f/48-add9

It has the notes F A C G, but I couldn't find anything in the BIAB chord list for it.

I got in touch with Matt Finley and he suggested I try Fadd2 which should give me the same notes with possibly a different voicing. (Thanks Matt!).

I tried that and BIAB will accept it OK, but the notes I get (for a guitar strum) are C F A C F (low to high), with no G note, which is the one I'm after. I'd like that "high F" note to be a G instead.

Perhaps I'm going about this all wrong.
If anyone has another suggestion let me know and I'll try it.
If not, I'll explain how I'm checking these notes.

Thanks!
LLOYD S
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Entering a (say) Fadd9 chord. - 10/11/14 04:27 PM
Lloyd, is there supposed to be a seventh in the chord? EDIT: I see from your link there is not, but anyway:

You could try F9, which gives all your notes plus an Eb (dominant seventh). Or FMaj9 which gives all your notes plus an E natural (major seventh). In either case, the G will most often be voiced on top.

As for the Fadd2 chord, the G is certainly going to be in there somewhere, most times, but it will be in the lower register so perhaps it's harder to hear.

If the BIAB instrument is MIDI, you could edit the chord yourself (tedious for a whole song) and freeze the track.

If the BIAB instrument is a RealTrack, then you will get what the actual person played, which is sometimes voiced the way you want it and sometimes not. Short of using Melodyne Editor, you can't edit that, just regenerate until you get something you like better.

We also need to know which version of BIAB you have. There were some chord shortcut changes a few years back.
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Entering a (say) Fadd9 chord. - 10/11/14 04:39 PM

Matt:

There should only be the notes F A C G (low to high).
The chord I'm going for is shown in the link in my post.
In the chord charts, it's the one on the right in the top row.

I know those are guitar chords but in the song I can hear that high G note when Izzy plays that chord on the Uke.

What I'm trying to do is get the RealTrack 1143 Ukulele to play that 4-note chord with the high G note.

Any other suggestions? Or am I aiming for the impossible?
Thanks!
LLOYD
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Entering a (say) Fadd9 chord. - 10/11/14 05:43 PM
Enter F2 BIAB will alternate between F2 and Fadd9 You'll have to keep re-generating until you find a version you like and freeze it. Later, Ray
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Entering a (say) Fadd9 chord. - 10/11/14 08:09 PM
Thanks Ray.
I'll try that.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Entering a (say) Fadd9 chord. - 10/11/14 09:49 PM
Lloyd,

In addition to the above ...

If you are using Realtracks, as I understand them at least, the X2 chord also needs to be present in the original Realtrack audio for the chord to be created when the backing is generated. If the anticipated chord is not present, the generation process will default to a simpler chord.

With this in mind, try a different Realtrack (or midi track even) and see if that helps.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Entering a (say) Fadd9 chord. - 10/11/14 10:13 PM
Noel:

I'm pretty limited in the RealTrack I could use.
The list shows only two: 1142 and 1143, although I see now that under the "Instrument" column, it indicates "Acoustic Guitar (26)" so I suppose that means that it wasn't played on a real uke anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I may try to add a MIDI track, or just add the note(s) in on the Melody or Harmony track for that bar.

LLOYD S
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Entering a (say) Fadd9 chord. - 10/12/14 01:38 PM
There is a built-in chord entry shortcut in the file/bb/pgshortc.txt that converts "add9" to "2".
Posted By: Lloyd S Re: Entering a (say) Fadd9 chord. - 10/16/14 10:32 PM

This is a follow up to what Noel suggested regarding RealTracks, that is, he said this:

"If you are using Realtracks, as I understand them at least, the X2 chord also needs to be present in the original Realtrack audio for the chord to be created when the backing is generated. If the anticipated chord is not present, the generation process will default to a simpler chord."

I contacted PGMusic Support about it here (in part):

"In the BIAB Help File "Chord List", there are 131 chords listed.
When PGMusic enlists a musician to create a RealTrack, are ALL the chords recorded?"

And here's the answer I received:

"Hi Lloyd,

Sorry for the late reply, I had to ask someone from the development department. smile

We definitely didn't record all 131 chord types in each RealTrack, the number of chords recorded varies. Some RealTracks have more chords recorded than others, and jazz RealTracks tend to have more different chords recorded than country or pop RealTracks.

Of course you can type in whatever chord you like, and if the one you've typed in doesn't have audio recorded for it, a similar chord will be substituted. For example, if you enter a C7b9b13 and we didn't record that one, you may get a C7 instead.

Does this answer your question sufficiently?

Thank you
Kent
PG Music"

Soooooo,
Now that I know that there's a good chance the chord I'm trying for isn't in the RealTrack file, I'll find a workaround.

Thanks all for your help!
LLOYD S
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Entering a (say) Fadd9 chord. - 10/17/14 06:02 AM
Hi Lloyd.

Thank you for sharing the information. It's good to know that I was on the right track!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Entering a (say) Fadd9 chord. - 10/17/14 01:38 PM
Yes, great to hear this explanation. It makes perfect sense. Can you imagine writing a template with every possible known chord type, and asking the pro to blow over it?

In the earliest days of RealTracks, I encountered a chord type where some instruments would simply drop out if I wrote that chord. It was a mMaj7 chord, common in Brazilian music. PG Music fixed it right away after I reported it, so I had a clue how the algorithm was working.
© PG Music Forums