PG Music Home
Thought i saw this in my pre-purchase scanning, but don't see how.

I have, for example, a bass line that is perfect except for two bars in the middle of the song, say bars 30 and 31. Is there a way to isolate and regen JUST those two bars? I assume I have frozen all the tracks to start. I see "Reset Bar" in the bar settings dialog, but that also implies all tracks> Freeze it all then unfreeze the one track and "Reset bar" seems to be the closest I can come.

Thanks.
Soundsmith,

Based on other conversations I've read you cannot do that in BIAB.
BUT...You can do this in RealBand.

I have not, but that function is real.

Good Luck!
That is correct. BIAB always regenerates the entire track, except for the solo and melody tracks, which can generate parts of the track when using the soloist and melodist features, respectively.

RealBand, however, allows to to specify exactly what and where you want to regenerate.
Regenerating all or part of a track in Realband also gives you access to the multiriff function in which you can generate seven versions of the regeneration at once, choosing the best to suit your needs or save any or all of the seven and comp various portions of the seven riffs into a single, unique riff. With a total of 48 tracks, Realband provides many additional ways to manipulate and experiment with your tracks even if you use another DAW as your primary workhorse. Realband can do some things with Biab generated realtracks no other DAW can currently do that I am aware of.

Charlie
Very cool! Thanks, guys. I could not quite figure out why they bothered with RealBand, but now...

"I'm Beginning To See The Light"
Oh yeah, RB is very cool. First 48 tracks. Second the regen of individual bars but most important you can create several different versions of any part by using different styles. Think about that one, you're using one style in Biab and it gives you all the instruments. Lets say you're curious what a different guitar part might sound like. In RB you simply arm a blank track and generate a different part based on a different style just for that one track without changing the original generated track. That means you can go back and forth while the song is playing between two different guitar parts or 3 or 10 for that matter. Some can be RT's some can be midi parts. Can't do that in Biab.

I do this a lot with drums. One track could be the basic beat, a second track could be percussion and the third might be a third style for just the C section or whatever. Using the track mute buttons you can audition these different parts while the song is playing. Don't forget you have the substyle variations to work with too and that brings up another "trick".

For each track in RB you can change the chord grid. Think about that one too. You've generated your basic song using the chord grid with substyle part markers. Those markers will force drum fills in addition to varying the style. Change the chord grid for a new drum track keeping in mind you still have the original one, that won't change. That forces a fill in different places without altering the substyle for the other instruments. You can also change the chords and substyles for any single instrument so you might have the guitar playing somewhat different chords and substyles from the piano.

Almost forgot, this works as long as you do NOT have the checkbox "Regenerate whole song" checked!

This can get quite complex but it gives you a lot of flexibility. The key thing to remember is RB is a audio/midi recorder and sequencer. Each track stands on it's own just like any other recorder you may own or used to own. You can experiment all you want with certain tracks without changing what you don't want to change.

When you mix this you can use the volume nodes to mute and activate different parts of all those tracks and wind up with a good mix.

Some of this you can do in Biab but it's clunkier and you only have 7 tracks so you can't experiment like that. Biab is great for basic song creation, pick a style, load in the chords and hit play. Simple, and that's good enough for lots of folks but when you really get into it and you want to add this or that or think gee, what would that nice guitar part I hear in another song sound like in this one then it's time to move it to RB.

Bob
Glad you included that last 'trick' Bob. Thanks for that. I had been closing a session and opening a new one, entering different chords and exporting wav's. Re-opening the main file and importing.

I had never would have thought to try your trick on my own, I just assumed that could not be done.

Thanks again,

Charlie
Yup.... I was going to say REAL BAND as well. I've used this song before as an example.... THE BEST CHRISTMAS ... on my web site music page somewhere.... heck: here's the link>> http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11971116 that makes it easy for you to hear the solo....

The guitar solo is a prime example of this..... there are 5 different regens of the guitar solo from the same real track. I stacked them one on top of the other in my DAW and used envelopes to edit the parts in and out.

This pic is of the piano fills in the first verse... I did the same thing with them. The 5 guitar solo tracks begin directly below the piano fills.

This is a very cool function of real band since it will not generate the same exact part over multiple generations of the same track.
© PG Music Forums