PG Music Home
Its been awhile and I forgot some stuff.
Is there a source document on the site that can tell me what all the abbreviations in the Stylepicker mean... like is the style a midi style?, realtrack style?, super midi style? etc. And also where these style are stored on my computer...

Thanks
K
Kristen:

I've compiled a list of the abbreviations shown in the Stylepicker but it's not quite ready. If you can wait until next week it should be done.

In the meantime, if you are using BIAB 2014 and display "All styles" in the Stylepicker window, the ones with a light brown background are RealStyles, the others have at least one MIDI instruments.

Thanks!
LLOYD S
Kristen -

If you open the StylePicker, then click on the Help button, you will find a lot of information about StylePicker.

For example, here's one excerpt:

Quote:
RealStyles, Classic RealStyles and Styles with RealTracks

RealTracks, made from live audio recordings by top studio players and recording artists, can be used for any instrument part in Band-in-a-Box, including the Melody and Soloist tracks. They can be controlled just like MIDI instruments (volume changes, muting, etc.), and, best of all, they follow the chord progression that you have entered, generating an authentic audio accompaniment to your song. RealTracks are not "samples," but are full recordings, lasting from 1 to 8 bars at a time, playing along in perfect sync with the other Band-in-a-Box tracks.

RealTracks can be built in to styles, so you can have styles that are all MIDI, a mix of MIDI tracks and RealTracks, or all RealTracks. Styles that use RealTracks only are called RealStyles.

There is a separate category in the StylePicker for RealStyles. There is also a Classic RealStyles category in the StylePicker. It contains styles that are intended to be commonly used RealTracks.

The style names for RealStyles are prefaced by an underscore, _.

The various categories in the StylePicker include lists of just the RealStyles in that category to make your selection easier.

The StylePicker lists also show styles with RealTracks, a blend of MIDI tracks and RealTracks. Style names for Styles with RealTracks are prefaced by an equals sign, =.

Styles with RealDrums

The StylePicker has a special category called "Styles with RealDrums." This lists many RealDrums styles (.STY) that we’ve made. We always name the RealDrums style beginning with a minus sign, so that "-ZZJAZZ.STY" would be the ZZJAZZ.STY, but using RealDrums instead.

And also this:

Quote:
For each style, you see the following information:

(The example will describe the ZZJAZZ.STY)

Fav - "F" indicates that this style is a Favorite.

* - An asterisk (*) or (^) caret means the style is a "perfect" or "good" match to the prototype style.

File - ZZJAZZ is the name of the .STY style file.

W - The letter "W" indicates a waltz style in 3/4 time.

Feel - The letters "sw" indicate that the style is in a Swing feel vs. "EV" for Even feel.

8 - The "8" indicates that the style is an 8th note feel (vs. 16th note feel).

Tempo - 140, for example, is the tempo for this style.

Name - Jazz Swing Style is the full name of the style.

# - Number of instruments present in the style.

NA - NA would indicate that you don’t have all of the RealTracks or RealDrums for the style.

Sub - If this column shows "sub," it means that a RealStyle substitution is available for the style.

Styles that are similar to the prototype are indicated with an asterisk (*). These are styles that have the same feel (triplets/ eighths/ sixteenths) and a similar tempo range. Styles with similar feel but a different tempo range are marked by a caret (^) symbol. So you can quickly see styles that are similar to Jazz Swing. The styles J_BASIE and J_DIXIE could be substituted with a perfect match so are marked with an asterisk (*). Styles like J_DJANGO are marked with a caret (^) because they sound best in a much faster tempo than the prototype Jazz Swing style.

Additionally, style files must be located either in your main BIAB folder (by default, this would be C:\BB, but it really depends upon where you installed it on your computer), or in the C:\BB\Styles folder. All styles from PGMusic go directly into the C:\BB folder, but can be moved to the C:\BB\Styles folder if you wish.

I generally keep the PGMusic styles in the main BIAB folder and then install 3rd party styles into the Styles folder, since they don't necessarily follow the naming convention PGMusic uses and it also helps keep them separate. (Norton Styles prefix the file name with a "#" sign; I prefix my own user styles with an "!" sign).

I hope that helps somewhat.
Kristen:

Below is the list of abbreviations that I've compiled, mostly from the BIAB Windows Help File. Some will be duplicates of jfords inclusions above.

Good Luck!
LLOYD S

BIAB STYLE ABBREVIATIONS

! : A guitar style

_ : (underscore) A RealStyle, i.e. with RealTracks

= : Style with some MIDI tracks and some RealTracks

- : (begin with minus sign/dash) Styles with RealDrums

~ : (tilde) Style with drum brushes OR ...

~ : (tilde) "(Style)... could be changed to a different RT style at a higher tempo."

* : (asterisk) "Perfect" match for "Prototype Style" in Style Picker window

^ : (caret) "Good" match for "Prototype Style" in Style Picker window OR...

^ : (caret) RealDrums styles ending in a caret have variations. E.g. "-DISCO^1", "-DISCO^2" etc.

IN BIAB 2014 Window version - In the Style Picker window, RealStyles have a light brown background. MIDI styles have a white background.

PREFIXES in the Style Picker window

J : Jazz style
L : Latin style
P : Pop style
C : Country style
R : Rock style
M : contains a MIDI SuperTrack
NS : Nashville style
AG : All Gospel style
BG : Bluegrass style
C~ : Country style with drum brushes
C2 : Styles of top country stars of 2006 - Style Set 66
CR : Crossover style
CC : Contemporary Country style
NR : Nashville Rock style
PW : Praise and Worship style
RB : Rythm and Blues style
TEK : Techno style
ZZ : Original 24 "built in" styles

Note: there are several other "prefixes" but all are self-explanatory, e.g. CELT for celtic, ORK for orchestral etc.

This list may not be "complete". If anyone has additions, corrections etc., by all means let us know.

LLOYD S
Hi Lloyd,

That's a great list smile I wasn't aware of all those letter names. Thank you for that!

I'd like to add ...

sw = a style with swing beats
EV = a style with even beats
8 = a style with 8 beats to the bar
16 = a style with 16 beats to the bar
tempo column = tempo the style was designed for

Regards,
Noel
8.3 filename still there from the DOS days !
To all you folks,
First great posting question.
Then the great responses.

I was aware of some of them, but the definitions are great.
What a fantastic listing. Thank you to all.
Yes, thanx to all.
This would be great for a post in the Tips & Tricks forum, especially if the content were combined.
Matt:

Good idea.
Done!
Here's what I posted:

BIAB STYLE ABBREVIATIONS

! : A guitar style

_ : (underscore) A RealStyle, i.e. with RealTracks

= : Style with some MIDI tracks and some RealTracks

- : (begin with minus sign/dash) Styles with RealDrums

~ : (tilde) Style with drum brushes OR ...

~ : (tilde) "(Style)... could be changed to a different RT style at a higher tempo."

* : (asterisk) "Perfect" match for "Prototype Style" in Style Picker window

^ : (caret) "Good" match for "Prototype Style" in Style Picker window OR...

^ : (caret) RealDrums styles ending in a caret have variations. E.g. "-DISCO^1", "-DISCO^2" etc.

IN BIAB 2014 WINDOWS - In the Style Picker window, RealStyles have a light brown background. MIDI styles have a white background.

Fav indicates that you have added this style to your "Favorites" list
sw = a style with swing beats
EV = a style with even beats
8 = a style with 8 beats to the bar
16 = a style with 16 beats to the bar
tempo column = tempo the style was designed for
W = a waltz style in 3/4 time
# = the number of instruments in the style
NA indicates the lack of RealTracks or RealDrums for the style
Sub indicates there is a RealStyle substitution for the style

PREFIXES in the Style Picker window

J : Jazz style
L : Latin style
P : Pop style
C : Country style
R : Rock style
M : contains a MIDI SuperTrack
NS : Nashville style
AG : All Gospel style
BG : Bluegrass style
C~ : Country style with drum brushes
C2 : Styles of top country stars of 2006 - Style Set 66
CR : Crossover style
CC : Contemporary Country style
NR : Nashville Rock style
PW : Praise and Worship style
RB : Rythm and Blues style
TEK : Techno style
ZZ : Original 24 "built in" styles

Note: there are several other "prefixes" but all are self-explanatory, e.g. CELT for celtic, ORK for orchestral etc.

This list is a compilation from several forum members. Thanks to all!

LLOYD S
The 8 and the 16 do not refer to the number of beats per measure! Instead they refer to the subdivisions of the beat that the style is designed around.

The 8 indicates that the pattern is based around 8th notes (typical swing, rock, country styles) and the 16 indicates that the pattern is based around 16th notes (funk, new-age jazz).

Styles other than those indicated with a W are all designed for 4 beats per measure. Styles with the W are designed on 3 beats per measure.
I Posted this simple request in the Wishlist a year ago
Thanks guys really appreciate this listing....really helps!
© PG Music Forums