PG Music Home
Posted By: CesarCesar Record a bass line with metronome - 10/24/14 04:25 PM
Hello everybody, I'm new around here. I expose you my problem. I want to record a bass line that includes a metronome click but I can't. While I'm entering the bass chords and during the rendering proccess I hear the click, but the final recording only has the bass line. I'd like to get a final recording that included the metronome click. Is it possible? How can I do it? I own the 2011 version of the software. Thank you
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Record a bass line with metronome - 10/25/14 02:59 AM
Hi Cesar,

Welcome to the forums smile

As you've discovered, the metronome click doesn't render to audio.

The following work-around should let you achieve what you are after.

1. Go to "Opt | Preferences" and follow #3, #4, #5 on the image below to set the metronome so that it plays back throughout the song.

2. Generate the bass track.

3. Right click on the speaker icon on the right side of the task bar.

4. From the pop-up menu, select "Recording Devices".

5. Now scroll up/down until you find an option that lets you record what is playing through the computer system. For my soundcard, this is called "What U Hear".

6. Activate "Record Audio" and let the song play through from beginning to end. The audio file that will be recorded will be "what the computer 'hears'" and should now contain the metronome sound.

Hope this helps,
Noel
Posted By: jford Re: Record a bass line with metronome - 10/25/14 02:21 PM
Just to add to Noel's post, "What U Hear" is specific to Creative Soundblaster audio drivers. You may find it listed as "Stereo Mix" instead.
Posted By: CesarCesar Re: Record a bass line with metronome - 10/28/14 11:03 PM
Hello, thank you very much Noel and Jford for your advise. I'll try that option to see if it works and tell you when I found out. Thank you again, see you
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Record a bass line with metronome - 10/28/14 11:23 PM
The companion program RealBand comes free with BIAB and allows recording multiple tracks. You could record the click track separately, then play or not play it as needed while you record additional tracks.
Posted By: CesarCesar Re: Record a bass line with metronome - 11/03/14 10:58 PM
Ok, Matt, thank you. I have barely tried Real Band so I don't know it very well. If the first recommended way takes me too long to record the audio (I want to record several minutes long bass loops) I'll try your way too. Thank you
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Record a bass line with metronome - 11/04/14 12:59 PM
Yep... I was going to suggest the use of real band or another DAW and record the metronome to it's own track.

You should NEVER record two things on the same track .... NEVER.

In a DAW, you can always mix things together but once you put 2 things on one track, you can never separate them again. Not cleanly anyhow.

Learn how to use a multi-track DAW, and life will be easier in a musical sense.
Posted By: CesarCesar Re: Record a bass line with metronome - 11/10/14 07:43 PM
Hello, I've tried what Noel suggested me and it worked well. I think I can manage by the moment with that option. Thank you all for your advice
© PG Music Forums