PG Music Home
Hi,

Regarding the tutorial "Entering Chords in Band In A Box"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RZqDJjeoBU

In the discussion about "pushes" in this tutorial the narrator's instruction for an eighth note push is to enter a caret before the root of the chord. For a sixteenth, enter two carets. What you see for an eighth note push in the chord chart is something like this ^C7
and for a sixteenth note push you will see ^^C7. I have a few questions about this beginning tutorial. When I follow these instructions the eighth note push appears according to the video. When I enter two carets for a 16th note push I get a caret and a triangle. (see the yellow arrows in the screen shot below) The playback sounds like it is supposed to in a non-swing style, but I am just wondering why the triangle and not two carets? Curiosity....

Secondly, the narrator states that when entering the caret symbol one only needs to press the 6 key and not shift + the 6 key. If I do not use the shift key and enter (no shift) + 6...6...+ F (chord root) then I get an "A7b9" chord. (see blue arrow) I thought perhaps because I was working on a laptop that this was the problem but I also tried it on my desktop and the same issue resulted. Do I need to change a setting somewhere?

Anybody know about either of these issues?

Thanks!
Dan

Attached picture Triangle-2.jpg
Hi Dan,

I get two carets for the 16th push. Have you installed the latest update for your version of BIAB? Also what version do you have?

Regarding the keyboard strokes, I just tried them out and you are correct. This might be a bug. I'd drop a quick email to support@pgmusic.com and ask them.

Regards,
Noel
Regarding the little triangle with the caret, you probably are using the Big Band font in Preferences, Display. You should report this to PG Music Support, but a workaround is to select another font.

And I concur, I have to use the Shift key with the 6 to get the carret symbol.
Thanks, I check it out tomorrow.
Dan
Noel, Matt

Sorry for such a long delay getting back to you both.

As it turns out the different characters that appear when using a single caret or a double caret to implement a push are due to the font choice. "Big Band" font is the programs default. I did some experimenting with other fonts but the only font that will produce exactly what is displayed in the tutorial is PG's proprietary font "PG Text".

Noel, I did upgrade today.

Thanks guys,
Dan

Attached picture PG Text.jpg
Exactly. The big band font is relatively new. The PG font was the default for decades and I still tend to use that. Also, some fonts do not show the pushes at all, which may be the way you want it on a printout. The point is, you have choices.
Thanks, Matt. I never knew that! That's today's BIAB lesson for me smile I use PG Text, too, which is why I didn't see the triangle.

Dan, thank you for posting the solution. It's always good to know what work.

Noel
© PG Music Forums