PG Music Home
Posted By: Natscat Staff size - it is adjustable? - 11/12/14 08:05 AM
Hi Everyone

I'm using BIAB for lead sheets. Is there any way to reduce the size of the staff? When I used it years ago on another computer the space between the staff lines was smaller and therefore looked neater and easier to read.

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks!
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Staff size - it is adjustable? - 11/12/14 02:59 PM
Depends on how many staves you enter in the print window. If you have a 32 bar song, you want 8 staves, you enter 9 in the number of staves box. Later, Ray
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Staff size - it is adjustable? - 11/13/14 10:11 AM
Hi NatsCat,

Here's how my notation looks in BIAB (for Windows).

I set this up as follows ...

1. Click the "Opt" button on the upper right of 'Lead Sheet View' (#1) and enter into "Lead Sheet Options".

The above settings are what I have for my BIAB setup.

2. Once "Lead Sheet Options" is setup, click on the button "Notation Options" (#2 in the above image). Below is how I've setup my notation options.

3. Lastly, when printing, there are options to set there, too. (I always print to pdf using Bullzip pdf writer (it's free). Once I have a pdf document, I print out hard copies from that.

Below are my "Print" settings.

With the items I've labelled as #2, I find it important to manually set the number of staves per page. I usually use 8 or 9. To do this, it's necessary to deactivate the "Auto-Set" option as this automatically determines the number of staves per page and it doesn't always make the best choice.

Hope these images and settings help.

Regards,
Noel.

P.S. As you can see, the "Shout Box" is inadequate when it comes to detailed explanations.

Posted By: Natscat Re: Staff size - it is adjustable? - 11/17/14 10:22 AM
Thank you so much for your detailed answer. I'm attaching a photo to show you what I mean. The left score is from a few years ago. The right score is what my BIAB produces now. You can see that the stave is bigger and the chords and lyrics overlap and it's just messier. They both have 8 lines but the right score's "music font" is much bigger. ie. staff and notes are larger.

Can I do something to make it more like the left score? Smaller and neater?

[OK I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO PASTE AN IMAGE IN HERE!]

Attached File
SCORE_PROBLEM.JPG  (19 downloads)
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Staff size - it is adjustable? - 11/17/14 05:17 PM
Hi Natscat

Did you try the settings that I used above? Did these make the notation look larger, smaller or no change?

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Dave Re: Staff size - it is adjustable? - 11/17/14 05:40 PM
A couple of other things to try.

Adjusting the print size percentage for the various elements can help. For instance I set the title font at 50%, but the lyric font at 140%. Also, I find the jazz font too large so I have gone back to PGText.

You can also try reducing the the font size in the Print Options menu from 24 to say, 18.

You do need to play with the sizes to get a best fit. Sometimes you may even have to adjust by song - in which case, document the settings in the memo field for the song, for instance
Posted By: Natscat Re: Staff size - it is adjustable? - 11/19/14 09:31 AM
Hi Noel

Yes I tried those settings but it didn't change the staff size. There must be a simple way to change it! Maybe I will reinstall the program. When I used to use BIAB frequently a few years ago I didn't have this problem.

Any other ideas?

Natalie.
Posted By: Natscat Re: Staff size - it is adjustable? - 11/19/14 10:04 AM
Dave! It worked, thanks! I reduced font size to 20 and it's basically back to normal.

I guess I must have changed this along the way.....

Woohoo! Thanks for your help. Now I can print print print these fab charts and then sing sing sing.
Posted By: Dave Re: Staff size - it is adjustable? - 11/19/14 11:08 AM
You're welcome
printing lead sheets is complicated, but there are workarounds for almost everything. Let's hope that the new version has some of the changes we have been asking for since tthe fake sheet option was announced.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Staff size - it is adjustable? - 11/19/14 08:11 PM
Quote:
OK I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO PASTE AN IMAGE IN HERE!

Nat you attach an image by using the highlighted "File Manager" at the bottom of the Reply window. Just follow the instructions there.

Bob
© PG Music Forums